P35W v2 News

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by shempmalone, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpya

Harpya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    86db is like standing next to traffic on a main road. Holy crap!

2. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Remember he used an iPhone.

3. Harpya

Reputations:
    Thank you for taking the time to test and post here!

I would really like to like this notebook, but the noise shocks me. I understand that it is hard to do it with a phone. Do you have any comparison numbers? What readings do you get when idle, meaning, how loud is background noise in the room? Where did you hold the phone while measuring? What app did you use? Is there a chance you could do a video? Could you make a comparison measurement with another notebook?

With decibel it is said that an increase of 10db feels like an acutal doubling of noise. So 50 to 80 makes a HUGE difference,

Of course, I do not mean to make this sound like any demand. :) Only if you have the time of course. I guess most of us would just greatly appreciate any further information that helps. Thank you again! Too bad there is no notebook on display where I live...

4. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think he might have put the microphone up against the exhaust vent. XD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

5. Harpya

Reputations:
    I would suggest to put the microphone about 30cm above the keyboard, 30cm from the screen.

6. WhiteBoySHady

WhiteBoySHady Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lmfao!!! This killed me so much cause I actually had the phone right up at the exhaust :$ I'll do it again but further :$ sorry again that was silly of me

7. shempmalone

shempmalone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just tested the fan noise with the fan set to max using my Moto X / Sound Meter app, and a real SPL meter, which give similar results. When the mic is right up against the fan it is 82db. With the mic at normal ear distance for using the laptop it is about 40 db using the phone (biased toward voice frequencies) and 48db using the SPL meter (set to C weighted, slow response curve).

However, the laptop pretty much never will get to max fan speed if you leave it on auto. In normal use, even playing HD videos, the fan is inaudible even with your ear a few inches away from the vent. Playing Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon on Ultra for an hour didn't even make the fans spin up all the way (incidentally, this gets the CPU to a steady 88c and the GPU to 90c; fwiw, I use a laptop cooler).

Re the weight, mine weighs 4lbs, 6oz, without the power brick. I have no HDD (single m2 SSD), and have swapped the Blue Ray drive for the spacer (although this is maybe an ounce or two difference - the BD drive is freaky light).

onkelosuppo and dennis96411 like this.
  8. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for this, it has cleared up so much for us! Glad to hear that the noise outputted was only around 40-50 dB from a normal operating distance.

9. TheMightyKnight

TheMightyKnight Guest

Reputations:
    Ok Great WhiteBoy! Thx shempmalone !
    I only have one last question(s) before I am sure to go for this laptop.
    WhiteBoy, you said the screen wasn't IPS. But are images good ? What are approximately viewing angles ? How could it be there is faulse advertisement everywhere saying it's IPS ???

10. TheMightyKnight

TheMightyKnight Guest

Reputations:
    And shempmalone, what is your impression about screen ?
    Do you also think it is not IPS ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.