P34W v3 First look, impressions and tests - a Pretty Little Beast

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by fanchiuho, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daza100

daza100 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep I was going to link that i video it's exactly the same internal only last gen v2

2. Amal77

Amal77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I limit it at the power options to 99%.

Btw, it was throttling whenever it reaches 91c, that's why I'm getting a lower 3DMark score.

But after I've updated the BIOS to the latest one, now the CPU can go up to 96c on turbo boost.
    Quite hot IMHO. But I'm glad they increase the temp limit. Better than throttling.
    Now I'm getting a normal score again on 3Dmark13 even with turbo boost enabled.
    GPU is still maxed at 86c on 3Dmark13.
    Highest I've tried is on furmark, which is 88c on GPU.

I don't understand about "touch" you were referring to.
    You mean the keyboard area during gaming/test?
    It doesn't feel hot at all.

3. TheNightWolf

TheNightWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Micaiah thanks for the video, i think i have seen it before, but now I know where I am sure to find it !

I was refering to the feeling that give the laptop, is it as flexible as the aorus X3+V3 (thanks to @LVNeptune review). Do you see the point on the screen appearing when you push the back of th screen ? As i will move it a lot, I am a bit scared of smalls scratchs on the outside.

Thanks for those fast answers !

4. fanchiuho

fanchiuho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Whelp, time to update the stuff huh?

I too am confused about the touch. If you are referring to the construction of the laptop, then there shouldn't be any problems with monitor flexing or flexing in general. I think the finish is prone to small scratches though, hence the sleeve.

TheNightWolf likes this.
  5. shermansee

shermansee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am very close in pulling the trigger at GenTech for this mtfk..... enough of poisoning already..

Couple of questions on storage:

(1) From spending and performance point of view, should I configure with a single big mSATA and nothing on SATA or spread them across mSATA and SATA (ie 1 x 500 GB mSATA vs 1 x 250 GB mSATA and 1 x 250 GB SATA)? I noticed from the configurator that mSATA drive is cheaper and if there's no performance difference, why would anyone split their SSDs?

(2) Does HDD add noticeable weight, heat and power consumption to the system against SSD?

(3) How much storage should I get if I am using it only for gaming (eg Witcher 3 etc). I am planning to save all my media files to a separate portable HDD.

Am a newbie here and this will be my first gaming laptop. Was very excited when Razer launched its 970m Blade, but memory is set at 8GB, storage locked at 256GB (unknown brand), no IC pasting and that freaking price simply for the body... just don't quite cut it for me.

6. bkvamme

bkvamme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went for a 256GB mSATA SSD, and a Western Digital Black2Dual (120GB SSD+1TB HDD). If you are talking about having two separate SSDs, I would definitely recommend going for one large mSATA, instead of splitting it. Simply due to the possibility of upgrading.

The HDD definitely adds noise, some heat and some power consumption. The noise is my main problem, as the heat draw is only around 5-10W for 2.5'' HDDs. The spinup of the HDD almost drove me crazy, so I'll only have content I rarely access on it.

Can't wait to get my laptop, due for shipping 13.02 from computeruniverse.net

7. Pixelproof

Pixelproof Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I read your battery summary, but do you think the P34w is good enough for a student? I will mostly be browsing the Web and using office programs.

Thanks in advantage again :)

8. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does any one know for sure the 1tb masts is supported? They say 512 of the website but typically. Larger does tend to work than the max listed. And I'm sure some usa sellers are selling customisations with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Can someone who owns this laptop tell me what's the screen make and model? Run HWinfo64 and it will tell you this..

10. mandeep

mandeep Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd like to know this as well. Also, what speed does the CPU run at when running on battery? Is the CPU downclocked even when running on the high performance power setting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.