P34W v3 First look, impressions and tests - a Pretty Little Beast

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by fanchiuho, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotwheels97

hotwheels97 Newbie

Reputations:
    It has bigger airtakes on the back

HeardEmSay likes this.
  2. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yea bigger cooling vents at the back. its more like an extension rather than just built in the chassis to keep it "square"

HeardEmSay likes this.
  3. HeardEmSay

HeardEmSay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But is that really enough to justify 66 C CPU load temps on the x3?

Gun to your head, which one are you buying and why?

One more question...anyone know if reseating the heastsink messes up the contact with the GPU CPU because of the thermal pads? I had that happen on an MSI years ago...

I'm probably gonna end up buying this one but the temps are making me paranoid...

4. fanchiuho

fanchiuho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So far no problem about the thermal pads with me reseating the thermal paste. Maybe I was just lucky, maybe they are well designed, who knows .

Never hurt for you to keep an eye out though. Worst case, Fujipoly pads are worlds better than these stock pads anyway .

HeardEmSay likes this.
  5. HeardEmSay

Reputations:
    Last question I promise... How is the screen quality? I'm coming from a w230ss and the screen is fairly decent with minor bleed...

hotwheels97 likes this.
  6. hotwheels97

hotwheels97 Newbie

Reputations:
    Don't be scared to ask questions! That's why this is a thread :)

7. Hephaestos

Hephaestos Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The screen is very thin, the lid is flimsy. Similar Aorus design is prone to crack the frame in both corners, unless opened carefully (Aorus never responded to reports, did not improve the design, and completely ignored the evidence).
    Ref: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-aorus-x3-and-x3-owners-lounge.761197/page-3
    Gigabyte considers the screen panel faulty if there are: "Total bright and black dots : more than 5 dots (In any place)"
    Ref: http://www.gigabyte.com/WebPage/56/Definition-of-bright-dot-black-dot.html
    Yes, I agree, it is irresistibly cool and packs a lot of power in small (running very hot) chassis.

HeardEmSay likes this.
  8. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The screen quality is very good. High contrast, vibrant colors, good viewing angles. I didn't have any problems with the lid and actually thought it was pretty solid (more so than my MSI GT60 at least).

HeardEmSay likes this.
  9. HeardEmSay

Reputations:
    Awesome... You guys have been great at helping lol... I guess its good for people with similar questions...

I know I said last question, but...

I'm seeing variants of the processor... On xoticpc it says 4710 while the gigabyte website says 4720....xotic PC says 6gb for the 970m while the rest say 3gb(this is a typo, but you never know)...

What doesn't make sense is that it's the same price either way for 4710 or 4720...

10. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Hephaestos said the lid is flimsy, i really disagree. its nothing like the aorus x3 from the video review that LVNeptune did. i think it was in his video where he flexed the screen to the point it looked flimsy. its defindately more solid. the lid is not even constructed the same way so it. and the lid is metal not plastic like the x3
    As for the 4710hq or is it 4720hq. and is it 6gb vram or 3gb? i think the cpu is a typo. well i ordered what i thought was a 4710hq and though i read people got theirs with the 4720hq i though there was pointlessly 2 versions, but i receieved the 4720hq and not the 4710hq i thought i was ordering.

the 6gb was going to be the intial release. but maybe because of the casing materials or the cooling wasnt good enough to handle 6gb vram but its 3gb. i think thats what part of the delay was for why it wasnt released same time as the x3

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.