P34W...A good choice?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Xss, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would really like to see a 970m 6gb version being released for that model, but who knows if that may happen and when :/

2. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    I seriously doubt this will happen.. They won't release seperate models like MSI do... The 15", P35W V3 has a 6GB 970M if you are really interested in 6GB vRAM.. 3GB vRAM is plenty and as long as desktops have 3/4GB vRAM, you don't have worry about games not having enough vRAM to work with as the developers won't want to alienate like 80% of the game playing population by making their cards obsolete...

3. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I considered for a moment the 15" with extra ram...But the extra weight and size made me walk away. I'll have to accept there are a few games I won't be able to launch on ultra settings. Thanks for your feedback :)

EDIT: Oops! I totally forgot to ask! I have always bought my laptops in France and simply used an adaptater, I've always been fine with it (I think the voltage is 220v in Euope, 110 in the US). I am considering buying from GentechPC over Xotic, but they do not propose European plugs: should I be fine with only an adapter (I guess...and hope!) or would I need a converter/transformer as well? I can't find the information about the laptop voltage, but I suppose it would be 100-240v (I bought a cintiq hybrid here, didn't have any problems with it in Europe).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  4. amonite

amonite Newbie

Reputations:
    @Xss an adaptater will be enough.

By the way why do you want to buy it from a US reseller ? Are you not going to pay a premium for the transatlantic delivery+import fees?

5. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks! Just an adapter, no worries then. :)

To asnwer your question, I teach in college in the US, and go back to France when I am not teaching: I am currently in the US, so I'll buy it here. Plus, it would cheaper for me to buy it in the US than in France or somewhere else in Europe. The only real downside is that I won't get an azerty keyboard...On the other hand, I got used tipping on a qwerty set as an azerty, so :D...

I think I will be purchasing it from GenTechPC: they have very good feedbacks on resellerratings and they have a faster building time.
    I am looking at the configuration and I am debating about some of the components: I will be asking GenTechPC about these, but what do you think:

- Are 8gb of ram enough for gaming and some video editing? True, 16gb will be better, but I don't wish to increase the heat of the laptop. Plus, I am pretty sure that even the basic 8gb of ram that will come with the P34W will be better than the ram I currently have with the W110er (8gb...the basic one that came with the laptop 3 years ago). And I am fine with the editing speed of the W110er.

- I have never had an SSD before, so I guess that the basic one for windows will be more than enough for my needs.

- Now comes the HDD for all games, some programs and files. I also record a lot of gameplay: I either record it on an external hard drive, or on the same drive as the game if there is enough space (I try not to use Fraps, since it demands too much power).
    5400 or 7200 rpm? SATA II 3b/s or SATA III 6gb/s? Will there be a noticeable difference between those when gaming, recording, editing ? If those will only affect loading times and files copying/transfers by some seconds (or worst case, minutes), then I guess I will go for a 5400 at 3gb/s. I have always used a 7200 in the past, but windows was also installed on that drive.
    I might take 1TB, but still debating. I might try short stroking it: heard about this a few days ago, and it seems rather interesting.

6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    1. I would recommend GentechPC.. Got my G73JH from them and excellent service on their part
    2. I would get 12GB/16GB RAM... 8GB RAM is too little.. More RAM will not cause heating...
    3. Get a 256GB Version... the M550 will be the best option
    4. You want a 7200rpm HDD... The 1TB version is probably a hitachi travelstar 7K 1000 7200rpm drive which is excellent (I also have it..)

7. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Be aware that the p34w does get quite hot and noisy under load. I can't maintain 60fps in Battlefield 3 or Hardline due to the CPU not being able to maintain boost clocks-- and this is with a repaste.

8. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use a cooling tablet. What about undervolting the CPU?...I have never tried it, but I might have if the P34W gets very hot. Or worst case scenario, I wait for the release of broadwell...Hoping it will come for the P34W and it won't be in 6 months :/

About the SDD, what would be the advantages of getting the 256gb if I only get windows on it (and some minor programs like ccleaner, zonealarm, etc...): no games, no documents, everything will go on the other disk, that's what I have always done (my primary partition for windows 7 is of 48.7 Gb, and I am very fine with it). I don't even know what I would do with the extra space on a 128gb ^^", unless I update to windows 10 and that one requires more space.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  9. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    The far better performance of the SSD benefits anything you put on there, including programs. If you insist on having a purely OS partition, you can always just partition the SSD and use the other partition for programs. I can't really see the point, you may as well have just one partition for OS and programs, then use the HDD for data. You would be somewhat wasting the benefit of the SSD if it is only used for OS.

10. Xss

Xss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Indeed, sadly SSDs are still expensive. Whether I partition it or take a second SSD for games, I would still need at least 500Gb, taking me over my budget.
    If I really had the money, or if it was cheaper, I would simply take those and forget about HDDs. Still, even if I only have the OS on the SSD, windows would still boot and react faster, as well as some programs, correct? And I don't think SSDs offer much for games. Faster loading times, I imagine, but not more FPS...I can live with longer loading times.

Now, I personally separate the OS and the programs so I wouldn't need to reinstall all (or most) of my games and stuff everytime I would reinstall windows or a backup. While I do backup of games, I am just very lazy and find it somewhat of a shore reinstalling everything: all the games, all the saves, all the mods (skyrim can be a chore for that)...Plus, with an Internet speed of 2.4mb/s in France, some games take ages to be installed through steam. Having my games on a separate drive saved me from some headaches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.