P34G v3 news

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by olakiril, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    GTX 860M in Gigabyte P34G v2 was already efficient Maxwell version, which had 40-50 watts TDP.

GTX 970M in Gigabyte P34W v3 is a bigger Maxwell, should have TDP of around 65 watts, so more powerful brick / better cooling would be needed.

For comparison, other notebooks with GTX 970M got 150 watt power supplies (MSI GS60 and Clevo P650/651), and at least in case of Clevo that was far from enough.

2. aShtk

aShtk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I asked the question to a Gigabyte rep on the OC forum so we should have an answer tomorrow.
    What do you mean by the fact that it was not enough for the Clevo ? Any link ?

I really hope they provided more.

3. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    NotebookCheck review, they measured max 203 watts power draw:

Clevo P651SE (Schenker XMG P505) Barebones Notebook Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

You have to keep in mind though, that was GPU + CPU stress test, and also that's a different notebook.

Gigabyte P34W v3 should be hopefully less power hungry :) Still it will be hungrier than its older 860M version, that's for sure.

4. aShtk

Reputations:
    Yeah it should be a lot less power hungry, so a PSU of 150w should be slightly sufficient even for gaming, but let's hope it comes with a 180w too. Answer tomorrow !

5. sid5427

sid5427 Newbie

Reputations:
    Think you can ask them when it will release as well ? especially in the US ? :)

6. aShtk

Reputations:
    Yes but I wait for the first answers, I don't want to scare him with a million questions : )

7. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    The original one was for the 760m which was 120w. When it went to the 860m it was upped to 150w

There is no such thing as a more power efficient 970m both the p35 and the p34 can am do carry the same gpu

aShtk likes this.
  8. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's what I thought too. You can even swap it perfectly with a Razer blade PSU to lighten your backpack.

9. aShtk

Reputations:
    Some answers from the Gigabyte rep :

2. Good

3. 150W power supply, not very good : / Anyway now we cannot comment any further on the power supply, the first reviews and benchmarks will talk.
    For the black colours, what is weird is the "we are thinking to make it more black", like nothing has been done yet. oO

10. aShtk

Reputations:
    Some updates :

2) the cooling system has been improved and the chassis strenghen. I would assume that we shouldn't see as many problems as we used to with the trackpad too.

3) So maybe the colors are still the same as the v2, and the black version will come in 2015. I'm gonna ask a little bit more details.

So far the p34 should be very great, the unique concern would be the 150w PSU for the 970m.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.