P34G v3 news

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by olakiril, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apploy

apploy Newbie

Reputations:
    Been lurking around here for a while absorbing info and trying to choose my next laptop. Finally bit on this one today. Supposed to get here this Friday. Will try to post early opinion if Friday ever comes...

2. shermansee

shermansee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    May I know where you purchase it? Gentech?

I am still waiting for Xoticpc to confirm coz I want the 6MB graphics card and ability to customize.

3. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think you meant 6GB. The P34W v3 is confirmed to have 3GB NOT 6GB as originally intended.

4. apploy

apploy Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered it from ExcaliburPC. When I called them to inquire about availability yesterday afternoon they happened to have some arriving. I didn't ask them about 3 vs 6gb. I suspect it will be 3, but will post what comes in the box once it comes.

5. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    Thanks. I was just correcting @shermansee (love these new tag features :D )

6. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Great to hear it's not just me. I hate that metal trend (and all trends towards the cheap). Plastics are in almost all regards superior to metals - but of course they are also more expensive. Aluminium is dirt cheap. Everyone wants light weight and then they use metal again??? How about stone - it feels nice! Audi developed a polycarbonate (same as plastic sun glasses) transmission housing (one of the most stressed parts in a car). The only reason they aren't using it is aluminium is cheaper.
    I don't give a flying fock about the feel - but if I did I'd much rather feel plastic than sharp, hard, cold or hot metal.
    The plastic doors on my car you can bang on poles, curbs and other cars all day long - they never get dents and don't cause dents. And because it gives it hardly even damages the paint. And even if it does it doesn't matter since the plastic is similar color and never rusts...

Oh well I guess this thread still doesn't have any info about the P34W :)

7. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    Aluminum is more expensive than plastics, not sure what you are referring to. It absorbs impacts where plastic just fractures. Yes the metal will bend or dent but it's better than cracking. Also, as thin as these screens are metal holds shape better and doesn't allow the screen to flex or make squeaky sounds when you open/close the laptop :p

8. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There are many plastics that can not break. They are unbreakable. For example polycarbonat or Makrolon. Aluminum costs roughly 2$ per kg while PC costs up to 5$ per kg and can barely be had below Al price.
    The problem is that most people commonly know plastic only from packaging material that is thrown away (An incredible waste and crime against the future).
    Anyway, there is a plastic for almost anything you can wish for. Transparent, unbreakable, self-lubricating, self-cleaning, impact-absorbing - btw. Aluminum can not absorb impacts as plastic can. Plastic flexes. Aluminum, however, usually deforms permanently when it absorbs an impact. Just look at all the i-things that have been used a lot. Unless they were covered by a PLASTIC case.

Human development from stone age to copper to bronze to iron to steel to aluminium and it should be plastic now - but we'll run out of it before we actually get there since we rather burn it then use it.

9. Solandri

Solandri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Per weight or volume of material aluminum is more expensive. But depending on what your strength requirements are, the amount and design of the plastic part to make it equivalent in strength and stiffness to an aluminum part may make plastic more expensive.

But expense is a stupid way to measure strength or quality. Its strongly affected by scarcity and refining costs. You could make a laptop out of pure gold, but it wouldn't be very good despite the expense.

I interned at Lockheed during undergrad, and had the plethora of tradeoffs of material choices for aerospace drilled into me. Strength, modulus (ratio of load to bending), elasticity, hardness, fatigue resistance, creep, weight, cost, density, and combinations of all the above like strength per weight, strength per volume, strength per dollar, etc. If you're judging things based on metal = good, plastic = bad, you're seriously oversimplifying and are going to be wrong a lot of times.

Not if the plastic part has been designed to have the same strength. The concern with plastic is actually the opposite - it is so flexible that it will harmlessly bend under an impact load, but another attached part may not be able to bend as much and will fracture. In fact I'd say that if a plastic part is small/thin enough to fracture, then the expected loads at that part were so small that an equivalent metal part would have buckled and bent under the same load.

On top of that, making the device out of flexible plastic means it sometimes experiences lower forces than if it had been metal. Imagine you put your laptop on the bottom of your bag with your textbooks on top, then you put your bag on the ground. Unknown to you, the ground is not flat - there's a small 3mm pebble right underneath the middle of your laptop.

With an unyielding metal case, there is very little deflection of the metal. The entire weight of the laptop and all your books ends up concentrated on the tiny point where the pebble contacts your laptop, and it ends up making a small divot in your case.

With plastic laptop case, the case will deflect upwards right where the pebble touches. As you're putting the bag down and more of the books' weight is transferred to the laptop, the case deflects more. Eventually it deflects enough that the feet of the laptop touch the ground, and the rest of the weight is distributed through the feet. The plastic case ends up experiencing a much lower load where the pebble is touching, than the metal case does.

Again, the forces typically encountered by laptops (and phones) are so low that whether you use plastic or metal, you need so little material that even the metal will flex. The key to designing it is to add stiffeners, ridges, and curves to give the part some resistance against buckling. (Yes, those angular ridges on the Aorus laptops are structural, not decorative. So to are all the curves on your car's body for that matter.)

Look at the bottom corner of any laptop and you'll see it's rounded in both axes. Double-curves like that add an incredible amount of stiffness. It's why a piece of sheet metal is floppy, but if you hammer it into a bowl it's incredibly stiff.

The squeaky sound comes from the hinges (which are always metal since they're held in place by friction), not the metal or plastic lid or case. I suppose if the hinges have a loose screw, that could make a squeak as it rubs up against the plastic case the hinge is mounted on. But the same would be true with a loose screw and metal case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying metal is always worse. But neither is it always better.

Pcguy07 likes this.
  10. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    Good info, thank you.

In this case I'm specifically referring to the Aorus. The build quality isn't as bad as some things I've seen but you are essentially paying for an overpriced 970M at this point (I am, anyway, returning my Blade to keep it, these ACU FPS are too good!)

My M17x R4 for example is plastic but it's done well. Minimal flexing on the screen (because it's thicker), the Aorus screen is very thin and I feel like I could accidentally break the LCD at any time. Just typing on it the screen wobbles back and forth slightly.

The squeaky sounds are not metal, they are plastic rubbing on plastic when opening and closing the screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.