p170hm defect gpu, replacement with hd7970M

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Spiderprogram, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Spiderprogram

Spiderprogram Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Defect gpu on p170hm, starts up until windows logo than black screen with mouse cursor.
    Safe mode is the same scenario, boots up but than a black screen with mouse cursor.

I found a hd7970M, with on it V2.1 G, Is this card compatible? do I still need a different bracket, screws, pad and I hear something like flashing the Vbios of the card, first time upgrading a gpu. If you can give me some info on this that would be nice.

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Clevo-...789405?hash=item3b4346e25d:g:6-kAAOSwswdeYMmo

thank you.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Oh this was quite a tricky one, yes it needs the right hardware revision and might need a blind flash.

3. Spiderprogram

Reputations:
    So this card will work and I can go ahead and buy it?, if I have any problem with the install I may come back to ask some questions.

4. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    The card you posted is an official Clevo variant, so it *should* work based on hardware revision and vBIOS compatibility.

Do you have a picture of your current dying card (Front/back) for physical comparison to the eBay listed card?

If/when you do buy it, make sure to backup your vBIOS on your dead/dying card as you may need to flash the new card with that specific revision to get it working (Make sure to back up the vBIOS on the new card too of course).

5. Spiderprogram

Reputations:
    This is a picture of my first card that died, the HD 6970M. (The current card is gtx485M)

Attached Files:

6. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Oh, then this is a no way to tell but to try (I thought you were replacing a 7970), but it should work, but as meaks points out, it could run into a revision/vBIOS situation.

7. Spiderprogram

Reputations:
    Since it is from a clevo and the right version 1.2 I will take the risk. Then there is no other option then to buy and try. I will make an offer and keep you posted. Thank you.

8. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From what i remember, you need a non-enduro vbios for 7970m to make it work in HM series. I think that vbios from "slave" gpu from "clevo P370 EM/SM" is what you need.

9. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the required vbios if you need it uploaded. I've flashed v1.2 cards for HM systems before. Remind me to upload it if you didn't already download something to try.

But yes in general you need the vbios meant for the P570WM and P370EM series systems. Most of these cards went into P170EM and P150EM systems, which have the iGPU as the primary GPU, and thus you get a blank screen with no iGPU.

Odds are you will need to blind flash. I recommend figuring out the boot and flash sequence with your current dying card. Figuring out how many times you need to press the down arrow to boot from a flash drive with no image is not fun.

10. Spiderprogram

Reputations:
    My offer of 125 euro's was just excepted on the hd7970m, so it will be here somewhere next week.
    Yes I could use the vbios and I found a site with instructions, I am going to need it, because this is my first time upgrading a gpu card.
    Fingers crossed that everything works out.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...vbios-for-clevo-p1xxhm-laptops.688656/page-43

I also found this site with vbios for hd7970M for different brands , I don't know yet if I can use it.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...=&model=HD+7970M&interface=&memType=&memSize=

I very much appreciate all the help.