P170em Upgrading

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Mariusbinx, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Because of the last part of your post here, I like to nip mistakes like that in the bud before incorrect general impressions are made and I spend 6 months having to correct people.

You can get desktop gtx 670 performance with tweaking on the 680m so it's going to give a good experience.

2. Silverfern

Silverfern Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. Mariusbinx

Mariusbinx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    First, thank you everyone for your input.

Frankly I do very little gaming at the moment on my laptop, but I purchased a Clevo laptop and from Mythlogic for a specific reason. The ability to upgrade, the ability to game, and he ability to keep it fresh new and useful for a few years. Given that now that I have decided to at least send it in for cleaning, I thought it would be as good a time as any to do any upgrades that I can. And, if I'm going to upgrade and spend a decent bunch of cash on that, I might as well go for gold, and get the best I can (or best I can realistically afford to go). Do I really need this laptop to be as powerful as possible? Absolutely not, but it's what I want to do anyway..

Heck, I'll probably update it and then just enjoy modding the crap out of Skyrim again and enjoying how fun that can be.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Well the 680M can be made about 30-40% faster than stock so you get quite a kick out of it and if you like your skyrim mods that will help it chew through those with the 4GB of vram to help too.

5. Mariusbinx

Mariusbinx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ooo that's right, 4gb vram.
    That does place it nicely above the 7970M, at least in that department.

6. smellon

smellon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 680M handles skyrim with quite a few mods really well. Temps concern me though, it's reaching about 90 deg C.

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The paste job and pads do want to be done just right :)

8. NeoCzar

NeoCzar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    See now that's a general incorrect impression Meaker will not nip in the bud because it's a useful incorrect impression to have, and costs people money, namely that you'll only need 4GB VRAM if ever if you have a multi-screen situation, and never if you're playing FHD or more on one screen.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Skyrim with mods is a special case that often goes over 2GB of vram (ultra high res textures and the like) and so having extra vram in this case does make a difference. His reaction made it clear he understands it but sorry if you feel I did not make that clear to others.

I do make it clear when advising others that most of the time it won't have an impact for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.