P170EM Graphics Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Troy Coleman, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Troy Coleman

Troy Coleman Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card in my P170EM that I purchased through Pro-Star about 4 years ago.

Computer Specs:
    - Processors: x8 Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
    - Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX (What I want to upgrade)
    - Memory: x2 4GB Crucial DDR3-1600 SODIMM,
    x2 2GB Crucial DDR3-1600 SODIMM
    - I know I can upgrade the memory to 32GB which I might do as well

I can't find any specs on the motherboard to know exactly how high it can go, and I have no idea where the graphics card even is on the laptop to replace it myself.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

((I've build computers before so I know the difference between them (basic stuff), but when it comes to Laptops, I'm in the dark.))

Thanks for the help.

2. Prmt

Prmt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey mate,

You can upgrade to any CLEVO based 6xx series card. It will just be a matter of swapping the thermal pads around.

If look for and flash PERMA bios for your notebook you will be able to upgrade to the 9xx series as well. 7xx and 8xx series cards are also possible. However it is a tad more sketchy. Again it would be best to use a CLEVO version and you would need to make sure the thermal pads make proper contact.

Troy Coleman likes this.
  3. Troy Coleman

Troy Coleman Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response,

After some amazingly complicated research on these forums, it does look like I can update the graphics card to a more updated version. I've reached out to Pro-Star to see if they can provide me with the most up-to-date version of the PERMA Bios, but there is one thing that I still am not following.

What do you mean when you say, "CLEVO Version" does that mean that I can't purchase a "GTX 950M" (just for the sake of argument) directly from NVIDIA?

4. Prmt

Prmt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Generally there will be more than one version I.E one for Dell, Clevo, MSI etc etc. Clevo and MSI from my experience are generally cross compatible. Dell on the otherhand is a lot more of a pain in Clevos.

You dont need to go to Pro-Star from Permad bios. You can get it directly from Permas thread.

I would reconmend you upgrade to something along the linds of the 965m or 970m if you do upgrade though.

Troy Coleman likes this.
  5. Troy Coleman

Troy Coleman Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks again,

After doing so more research online. Where is a good place to buy GPUs? I can't find them on NewEgg or anywhere it seems...

Secondly, at the risk of sounding like a complete nub... where is the Permas thread? You aren't meaning on this site are you?
    - Also, do I need to update the Bios?

6. Prmt

Prmt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Your best off googling perma bios P170EM. Just in case there have been any changed.

You can grab them off upgrademonkey etc on eBay. Plently of decent places.

Troy Coleman likes this.
  7. Troy Coleman

Troy Coleman Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've found those. Thanks again for the consistent responses.

Do I Need to update my Bios in order to make the GTX 9xx series GPUs work?

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, it will not work without it.

9. Prmt

Prmt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As meaker said. Yes you will need to. Only the 6xx series is supported on stock.

10. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hey Troy!

We've been in touch outside the forum as well, but just wanted to follow up here for you:

Clevo being the original manufacturer, you'll need to source a Clevo branded video card for the upgrade, whether you stick with an officially supported 6xxM series card or go the modded route (i.e. get the Prema BIOS and a newer [Clevo] card).

Hopefully you get some good advice here, and your best resources for the video cards are usually places like eBay or the NBR Marketplace.