P157SM heavily modded speakersystem

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Danishblunt, Jan 9, 2018.

1. DM g

DM g Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Stereomix, notebook and speaker both working together thats awesome I like it, thanks for the idea my budget under the 50 bucks I 'm thinking now hp roar plus 15w speakers.

2. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt

How much vertical room is needed to install a subwoofer?
    I know a specific answer would depend on exact speaker height+airspace+box, but what's a general guideline value?​

I was thinking....
    My P650 doesn't have a whole lot of empty space (that I see) to put a subwoofer or other speakers, except in the 2.5" drive bay. It seems that a speaker box could be 3-D printed to use that space and install a subwoofer pointing down out the vent hole.

But:
    1. Would it still be possible if one of the two 7 mm SSD slots contains a drive?
    2. Does/Should my motherboard even have a connection to add a novel subwoofer (yes, I'm ignorant!)
    3. If physically added, is it problematic getting the software to utilize the subwoofer/extra speakers?

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well in your case that's a no win situation to add a subwoofer. To my knowledge the P650 doens't have an amp for the subwoofer, unlike the P157SM. I was able to mod a subwoofer into the case and system because I had an amp for it.

You do however have rather large speakers in your system. With proper mods I think you can get acceptable sound out of it.

slimmolG likes this.
  4. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol, the things I find out about this notebook... tsk tsk
    But, it was the best all-around choice for me so I won't complain too much!

Putting my specific laptop aside, out of curiosity, what about the 2.5" drive subwoofer/speaker idea? Generally possible?

5. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    I mean it depends on your height in that case but generally yeah of course. You could 3D print a case and get a subwoofer in there no problem. The subwoofer in my P157SM needs around 3CM height. So a 2.5Inch bay would likely be to small for mine,but you can get a smaller one in the case.

slimmolG likes this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Why are there no pictures of this in light? Show us the build itself and what parts were used, or am I missing the link in the OP for this? All i see is two super dark videos that basically show nothing but a keyboard and display in the dark.

7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    It's about the sound, not the actual notebook or my bed.

8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had the exact same notebook, specifically a p651sg with a gtx 980m, total thickness is 30mm. I shoved a gt70 subwoofer in the dual 2.5'' hard drive bay and wired up the connectors, the black, negative wire went to one speaker and the positive red wire went to the other speaker thus sharing the load on the amp. I passed the wires to the speaker connector through a gap in the palm rest.

I had to melt down the enclosure to 29mm from 40mm and it had so much bass that it actually sounded like a proper stereo speaker system. I went through so much work to get it right as the subwoofer rattled everything in the laptop. Therefore I had to put rubber padding all around the sub. I would say it was worth it but before I sold my system the amp started to fry and the right speaker crackled on high volume, I guess there was too much load on the amp after all.

Fun fact I made half my sub enclosure with normal tape. I slighlty melted it afterwards so the tape would not come off when the subwoofer was on full blast.

It's worth it until the amp can't handle it lol.

For future subwoofer modders: the best subwoofer for size and thickness is either the gt72s subwoofer or the gt70 subwoofer, both will blow the dell l502x out the water literally or any other subwoofers, I've done so many of these mods over two years that my go to sub is the gt70 one when needed to do a mod. The enclosure doesn't matter the size of the sub, flexibility and wattage matters, more flex = lower hz of bass.

triturbo likes this.
  9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Absolutely wrong, the enclousure does matter.

10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For most speakers yes but these ones are different, I was surprised at how the bass sounded exactly the same when the enclosure was cut down by more than half.

Generally the enclosure does matter but for these subwoofers it doesn't, msi made the enclosures too big that the subwoofers bottom out on too much load. Reducing the enclosure size and sealing it off stops this effect.

I have done this mod to at least 15 laptops now, I know the effect.

triturbo likes this.