P157SM-A + Premamod Issues (FPS Drops)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by ZeroX03, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madrabbit711

madrabbit711 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've encountered near identical issues to the OP with my 880m GPU and upgrading from Prema's P150SM-A BIOS v01 to v02. Would it possible to know what the solution to this problem was i.e. in the PM Ethrem sent to ZeroX03?

The following are the steps I took in relation to this issue:
    In short, I found the only solution was to downgrade back to Prema v01 BIOS for the P150SM-A. I kept the NVIDIA 880m svl7 modified vBIOS though.

I would very much appreciate any clear explanations behind why this stuttering occurs with Prema's v02 BIOS and not v01 in the above scenario, and any subsequent solution.

Many thanks!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unfortunately you have to downgrade to v1. Clevo broke support for 880M in the new BIOS revision. You're not missing much of anything by using v1.

3. madrabbit711

Reputations:
    Thanks for the speedy reply Ethrem! Simple solution really.

From what I gather, Prema's v02 BIOS was to better enable 980m support. Is this correct?

From what I also understand, Prema would use the broken Clevo BIOS release as a base, and thus the broken support for the 880m is not easily fixable. Is this also correct?

It's also a potential shame shame for other P150SM-A 880m owners that the v01 BIOS is not longer offered on his blog, but I imagine a lot of those that cared would've installed it long ago.

Regardless, it seems like there were some interesting improvements with v02 of that BIOS from Prema's 22/07/15 blog post:
    For my interest (and self-education) in particular, I tend to try overclocking/messing with my system when a new upgrade is a around the corner. So a greater array of options such as those mentioned by Prema above would have been useful. I also did notice that the keyboard LED was properly switching to the correct colours without intervention with the v02 BIOS, but I didn't test this at all.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

4. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any time!

Here's the problem... every flash has the potential to cause a brick... We both thought it was an isolated incident but I will be talking to Prema about maybe making a link to old releases with a disclaimer that you have to sign that he's not responsible so he has a record. The reason for this is because there are a lot of people who don't read the instructions and pull the power cord when the system shuts off. That's the only way to flash the EC. A mismatch between BIOS and EC *will* brick. Depending on the machine, you're looking between 200 and 500 for a new motherboard if you brick because Clevo does *not* have any back up system that reliably works. Downgrading has the largest risk of anything else you can do to the firmware in the machine if you don't do it right. If you want more evidence about this, go to the BIOS thread and ask what happens if you flash an old BIOS. Its serious business and while Prema has worked around the issue, its still a liability.

How many of those improvements actually affect you? I ask because traditional thought has *always* been that you don't flash the BIOS unless you have no choice because something is broken. Now that we have EFI... its anyone's guess what actually can mess up. Would you rather miss out on some features that likely either don't impact you or minimally do so, knowing the risk is you have to pay to have your machine fixed and that your entire warranty can be void depending on reseller policies?

Prema is offering a service. We are fortunate enough that he offers it for free, relying on people to make donations to make his time worthwhile. He's busy right now though and on top of that, he didn't make the 880M vbios, he just modified his code to make it actually work... and trust me, if I didn't own an M17xR1... I would have had to spend over 700 dollars for new 880Ms when svl7's vbios screwed up...

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  5. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i Even the ppl who never frown eventually break down

Reputations:
    ROFL

Ethrem likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes and they blame the people supplying the instructions. What makes things trickier is the EC is stored on a different chip.

i_pk_pjers_i and Ethrem like this.
  7. madrabbit711

Reputations:
    It's unfortunate to hear about the unfair liability issues for community/service contributors such as Prema. Yes we are fortunate enough to have members such as him (gender assumption) and unclewebb (ThrottleStop), and for the record I have given donations to both in addition to the TechPowerUp website.

My suggestion about providing the old v01 and associated notes about the 880m where not from a position of a 'spoilt 15 year old forum troll spitting venom', but purely just a suggestion, with combined admission that "...a lot of those that cared would've installed it (v01) long ago". Particularly because I believe I am a good forum user and try to research my questions as much as possible before asking (some of the threads on these forums are enormous e.g. P150SM-A owner's lounge).

In regards to the "how many improvements actually affect you" and "traditional wisdom", these are all fair points. However I reiterate my point that I only overclock/mess with my system at the end of it's lifespan. For example I still have my old P150HM, and have messed with it's hardware/software/BIOS a fair bit for the reasons above, and it's luckily still running as my Media Centre. To put it another way, I don't resell my old laptops or care if I mess them up, so warranty/reseller policies are a non-issue for me.

I'm also just interested in technical questions such as, "Was Prema's primary goal with v02 BIOS to allow fo 980m support in the P150SM-A". Purely interest, nothing more. On this last point, I'm interested in your final comment: "...I would have had to spend over 700 dollars for new 880Ms when svl7's vbios screwed up...". As I said in my initial posts, I've installed svl7's vBIOs for the 880m, so I'll do some research around the forums about this comment and the history of this vBIOS.

Thanks again for the speedy answer's Ethrem, and if Prema is stalking around this thread, thanks for your efforts with the Clevo series over the years!

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  8. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry that this isn't as thorough as my last post but I'm on my phone right now.

I don't know what Clevo changed that broke 880M machines, especially considering that the 880M is just left over 780M silicon that tends to not work right yet I've heard no similar complaints from 780M users.

The SM-A series all support the 980M out of the box because Clevo finally implemented real MXM in the SM-A machines - the card shows as unknown but works just fine. As a matter of fact when I upgraded to 980Ms, Sager didn't even bother to flash the BIOS so my cards showed Unknown but worked fine.

If you have donated to Prema in the past, you have his email address, just send him a message asking for the v1 mod.

My comment about the svl7 vbios is that it doesn't work right on Clevo machines... I bricked twice and didn't realize it was because of legacy CSM running with EFI as well. Something about the vbios caused a black screen when I had the wrong the combination which required me to stick an 880M in my old Alienware to flash it with the stock vbios to get the system to POST again. This happened twice before I decided to run a self-modded stock vbios that was undervolted and set to 780M clocks to tame the fire those cards spewed out.

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  9. madrabbit711

Reputations:
    I origingally had Prema's V01 installed and still have a copy, hence my reversion in the steps I posted earlier when I was trying to diagnose these initial issues.. Again, was just a general comment for "the odd" P150SM-A 880m owner. I also like the idea of the 'forum' approach as opposed to emailing Prema, as other users can benefit from what I've learnt, as I have from others many times on these forums.

Sad that the 980M didn't have complete support from Clevo. However this absolutely pales in comparison to the trials I went through with the Alienware Area-51 m15x when Dell took-over (refer to my very early posts if interested!).

Good to know abou tthe svl7 vBIOS. With my P150SM-A and the svl7 880m vBIOS I have no issues, so I assume it's because I'm running legacy BIOS ...and don't have a dragon for a GFX card.

Cheers!

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    There are so many possible configurations, I'm glad you got one working :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.