P150EM upgrade GPU to GTX 1060

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Eurocom Support, Nov 25, 2016.

1. joshwang11

joshwang11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was able to get the 1060 installed and working. For anyone wishing to do this project in the future, it's important to know that there is a 1C20 and a 1C60 version of the card. This will affect how the INF file is modified (which is required). I modified the drivers preemptively and could not figure out why the new card wasn't working until I checked the device ID. Furthermore, this effects which vBIOS's can be flashed onto the card. 86.06.19.00.08 mentioned above was NOT compatible. I ended up going with the stock.

Also know that the PCB layout is slightly different between the 1C20 and 1C60. Without modding the heat sink per cutting out a corner as described on this thread or using a copper shim, the heat sink seemed to fit well. I will open everything up again to take a look a the thickness of the thermal paste later today.

UPDATE:
    Upon detailed inspection, it seems like with this particular 1060, there are no clearance issues even without a copper shim or heat sink modification. I was able to slide a thin piece of plastic over both of the small squares to left of the die on the image attached to verify none were jammed against the heat sink.

I did however start getting concerned that I might have a fake chip since I couldn't find this chip design reported anywhere and 3dmark11 says I have an unrecognized gpu. Details are in the link below, but at a high level the attached picture is a legit 1060 6GB. It is also the Aetina industrial version with different but very similar specs.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...bile-gpus/do-i-have-a-legit-1060-laptop-gpu-/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    CaerCadarn and jaybee83 like this.
  2. joshwang11

Reputations:
    Benchmarks for this Aetina GTX 1060 6GB on a P150EM:

FurMark for some reason won't display results after the benchmark is complete. It gets roughly 60fps @ 1080p, 0x MSAA, OpenGL though.

Temp stabilizes around 78-80C during Heaven.

Attached Files:

CaerCadarn and sicily428 like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would not run furmark repeatedly on such a platform.

4. joshwang11

Reputations:
    On this particular system?

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    On any laptop but not a modded older system, no.

6. joshwang11

Reputations:
    Is there a reason that would be an issue aside from temp?

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    A power virus like furmark is more likely to kill power circuitry.

8. Raz2Mak

Raz2Mak Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there!

Bumping this subject because I'm having some trouble with the latest driver updates of Nvidia. Latest stable driver AFAIK is 425.31. Anything above such as 430.x or the latest 431.60 will result in DirectX games only using Intel HD Graphics 4000 with no way around.

Things I already checked and tried:
    • Proper (usual) install process: DDU to clean everything (even intel drivers), modding file nvcvi.inf, disabled driver signature, multiple reboots, done.
    • Retry with different version of drivers
    • GTX 1060 showing up in Device Manager, GPU-Z, SpeedFan etc as it should after installing drivers
    • Force using GTX 1060 doing the old right-click > Use Nvidia High Performance on .exe (as well as setting it by default in Nvidia Panel and making sure Power Setting are on Max Performance instead of Eco or something)
    Laptop: P150EM + i7 3740QM + GTX 1060.

Any help is welcomed, thanks!