P150EM upgrade GPU to GTX 1060

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Eurocom Support, Nov 25, 2016.

1. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i Even the ppl who never frown eventually break down

Reputations:
    As far as I know, you cannot have an eDP GPU working on an LVDS motherboard even with Optimus, so I am pretty sure it would not work.

2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    i'm watching in your store but there is not this kit of upgrade for p150em. is it the same fo p170em? do you sell this kit?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay I've tried the MSI GTX 1060 MXM card in my P150em.

It need a 20*20*1mm copper pad, as a choke right next to the core die is in the way of heatsink

Everything seems to work fine, eDP /LVDS is not a problem on P150em as there's optimus.
    However, all DP/ DVI/ HDMI are feeded through the crappy ****ty iGPU, it cannot output some crazy resolution/refreshrate ( haven't tested 144Hz but it does not work for 90Hz (For HTC vive) )

It's pretty sad that even though GTX 1060m scored a 8.6 in SteamVR Performance test, it does not have the capability for VR whatsoever.

And given the current price for GTX 1060 (in a standard MXM format), one'd be better off getting a new laptop.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  4. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    Some people succeeded with Quadro P4000m and GTX 1060m on HP 8770w.

I've personally tried the MSI GTX 1060m on M6700. And that's a straight fail. Mechanically won't fit. A choke in the middle is conflicting with the heatpipe. I guess the other GTX 1070m (the MXM form from zotac) on the market will not fit either as I can tell from the picture

Theoritically it should work, with optimus. that MSI card is up running on my P150em

Aaron44126 likes this.
  5. eriannmx

eriannmx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you try to right click the program you're trying to use with the GPU and select to run it specifically with it???

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

6. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    Yes ofc I literally tried everything......
    It's not the problem about whether the dGPU is used or not.
    The biggest problem is that all video output is handled by iGPU, which sucks to no end since 1999. And it's not capable of output 90Hz required by VR

7. eriannmx

Reputations:

Hmmm my NVidia Control Panel says that the HDMI video output (and others) goes through the GPU and not the iGPU....

upload_2017-5-7_11-40-46.png

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It also says it has 2 display ports and an HDMI. The outputs exist on the chip but are not connected to the physical outputs.

eriannmx likes this.
  9. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    No because you have only connected to one display (laptop display)
    Try to connect to the external monior and you will see. It's output is from HD4000 instead of GTX 1060.

Though this is weird. I checked the Requirements and apparently P150em has HDMI 1.4, which should meet the requirement of HTC vive. But checking the specs of HD 4000 there's conflicting information. I'm not sure if anyone is able to output from dGPU from the original GTX 680m or HD7970m......

10. eriannmx

Reputations:
    Right, I tried the HDMI today, the output changed accordingly to the iGPU :/

Maybe these 2 links can help?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4dtomo/so_optimus_laptops_work_yes/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4drwnv/vive_can_work_with_optimus_notebook/