P150em - trying to get 980m working, Prema mods gone

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FalconFour, Aug 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Running a full system load is stressful? :p did you get a wall power meter and check you were not overloading your brick?

2. FalconFour

FalconFour Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    mfw I look at my brick and realize that, though it's twice as voluminous as a regular 90W brick, the label actually says "120W" and I wonder why it's audibly screaming for mercy.

(I originally got the computer without a power brick, and I'm still struggling to find an economical power brick in the <$40 price range that's not an electronics-frying tin can ... currently it's a really old HP OEM brick with a different tip)

Still, even on battery alone (the battery's actually really good for having a "dec-2012" sticker - 75% capacity), I can't get it to run anything 3D, so there's that. It always ends up using the Intel GPU even though every app I try is set to use NVIDIA in the control panel... or even launched manually with "use high performance" option.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Well that's your issue lol, 180w is a minimum.

4. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    What Meaker said. You need a bigger brick. 120W is way too low. My brick is a 230W.

5. FalconFour

Reputations:
    It's proving really hard to find an adapter that doesn't say "Replacement AC Adapter" on the label. A "used item" (good way to find OEM bricks) search for "(clevo,sager) 180W" on eBay gives 2 results, and for just "(clevo,sager) (ac adapter,charger)" gives 9. Everything else is either horrendously expensive or "Replacement AC Adapter" toaster garbage.

I've got a Lenovo 180W adapter I can chop up (yes, with solder and heat shrink, no electrical tape meth-head crap), but it's 20V. I don't suspect there's really a problem with using 20v, as the original was 19, so a bit like 5% more but probably not even that much. That ought to work.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You cant find any Delta power bricks? Where are you based?

7. FalconFour

Reputations:
    No, I can find them, but they're tooooooo dam spicy. $80 is a little hard to swallow. (SF Bay, CA - btw)

I took care of it today, put a matching tip on the end of that Lenovo brick, and had it burn-in at full CPU & GPU compute load for a good 6 hours today. Zero issues, thermals well balanced (82 GPU peak with graphite+paste, 70 CPU with just graphite pad). Brick gets comfortably warm, no screaming for mercy. A well built OEM brick is better than an overspec'd knockoff ;)

Now I just wait for that 970m to turn up in the mail... seller ain't exactly hustling to get it mailed, so it'll probably be mid next week. And I've got a new P2808B power control IC on the slow boat, probably end of the month or so. I'd installed a P2808A and that's why I've got such wacky power behavior*.

* long explanation for the curious: I originally got the computer with a physically-blown power IC, so I got a replacement... but the wrong one. With the P2808"A" chip, had to do an ugly diode hack to get it to work, power button doesn't function at all, can really only put it to sleep because it comes right back on if the battery is installed, can't turn it on at all without battery (though it runs without battery once on), and if it's plugged in but "off", it'll turn on if I insert the battery, and if the battery is fully charged, I have to plug-in an unplugged AC adapter to get the back-feed from charging the adapter's capacitors to kick the power on. Yeah. This chip is just a "soft power switch", not a power manager - so it's just a digital on/off switch, so doesn't really affect operation once it's running.

8. FalconFour

Reputations:
    Bam, the 970m arrived. Works perfect! It auto-installed the driver, as expected. And now 3D rendering works great... super stupid fast. Amazing. 100% great success.

... Well, except for resuming from sleep. When resuming from sleep, the GPU gets stuck in high-performance power mode, just absolutely inhaling battery life. I can see it in GPU-Z, the clocks are at full performance power. I have to disable and re-enable the GPU to get it back to normal, or sometimes I can open and close a 3D program to reset it.

I tried Googling it, but I can't get any results that deal with the "high performance when resuming from sleep" issue, instead dealing only with "can't go to sleep" or "wakes from sleep" issues. The GPU ought to be just _off_... but it's running full blast instead, doing nothing.

Any ideas? I'll come up with a workaround otherwise :) but figure it's worth asking.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Hibernate instead?

10. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can use restart64.exe from CRU to easily restart the drivers.