P150EM (i7 3632QM + GTX 970M) turning GPU off in intensive games

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by PhOeNiX_H, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A 970m should run very cool. Your existing heatsink is fine. There must be a die contact or air flow issue. Make sure the gpu radiators are clean of dust.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can post up a picture of the thermal paste after you separate them, it gives a guide on contact.

3. PhOeNiX_H

PhOeNiX_H Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It was a die contact issue. The screws for 7970M didn't work for GTX 970M, so I needed to find other ones. Initially I've used some from the fans, but they're too small and they are not helping with the pressure. I've found some screws here that did the job better and I didn't reach more than 80°C playing for 20 minutes.

I decided to go for simple thermal pads instead of K5 Pro. It is my first time doing it, so I just don't want to mess everything up. Meaker said I could stack pads to increase height, so I bought a 200x200mm x 0.5mm kit on Amazon (this one) and this is exactly what I'm going to do. They are probably going to arrive tomorrow in afternoon.

I just have two more questions:

-Is there any place that I could buy those screws for a reasonable price (like less than $10)?
    -I found the "schematics" for using thermal pads in GTX 970M:
    [​IMG]

What I don't understand yet is about this part here:

[​IMG]

Do I need to put the pads on those chips or above them? Or both? Heck, first of all, are those placements and heights right?

Thanks again.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Those are all capacitors and a good idea if you can.

5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That figure has several errors.

There is absolutely no reason to add pads to the capacitors. They do not warm up at all. You had 1mm pads on the MOSFETs. This results in very loose contact, while these are the most important components to cool after the core. Soft 1.5mm pads work much better.

I starred the inductor pads because these are not necessary, but are good to have. If you are doing a hodgepodge of pads and whatever you are using for inductor pads results in poor pressure for the MOSFET pads, then exclude the inductor pads. If you have the sizes I listed in the image though then pads should all contact fine unless you card is substantially warped.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    PhOeNiX_H likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Capacitors do dissipate some heat and having them sit under a hot plate with no airflow is going to run them hotter and running hotter will shorten their life span.

7. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    So, I decided to put only 0.5mm on inductors, only 1mm on capacitors and follow the rest as Khenglish said.

I can't confirm so soon, but I could play Metro Last Light with V-sync off for an hour!

[​IMG]

If I have some problems, I'll add some pads on inductor/capacitors, but seems like everything is good. Thank you all so much for your help!

I just need a set of screws for reaching the right pressure on GPU with heatsinks and I'll be set. Temperatures are ok for following months, at least :D

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That looks better :)

9. anassa

anassa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also have you looked at the heatsink itself? If I remember correctly the heatsink from the AMD card is different from the heatsink of the nvidia cards of that generation, which could add to the contact issues you have.

I have a set I think if you need me to check.

10. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    Heatsink seems fine, it's making contact and gpu is not turning off or with crazy high temperatures after minutes. Seems like screws are the issue, AMD ones are just too small.

I have no idea how to even search for those screws, I know Eurocom sells them, but I have to pay like $7 for the screws and $49 for shipping so... nope, lol.

If you know any place that actually sells them for less than $20 with taxes+shipping, I'm interested.