P Series (P34,35) Skylake Refresh By December

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by kilinol, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    and again the same chassis. They should design a new more durable chassis.

2. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not so sure it is. Gentech shows that it's a half pound heavier. There's no way that weight came from switching to a m.2 ssd.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. Il picchio

Il picchio Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a possibility of a new non-bending chassis?

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

4. TellyBoi

TellyBoi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I do agree. personally I would say that ASUS would be the best brand as far as materials and durability are concerned, although some lemons could happen just like my unit. MSI and ACER have their share of poor materials and construct on them as well. this is my first time to get a Gigabyte unit, so the verdict is still up in the air. I would say that Gigabyte pricing could have been better or cheaper if they want to and practically speaking but they chose to keep it at the midrange level. costly but not as bad as AlienWare where you pay for the brand name.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The build quality of an alienware is topnotch and it runs much cooler. Ofcourse it is thicker. But it is a lot of quality while in Europe I paid less for an equally specced Alienware compared to a p34w v3. So paying for a brand name? I dont think so.

-The trackpad is much more accurate with better buttons
    -Batteries are of much better quality with toshiba cells instead of cheap Simplo cells which wear out fairly quickly
    -Better cooling
    -One of the best keyboards on a laptop
    -Screen hinges that are mounted on an magnesium frame inside of the laptop and screen itself thus making it far more resistant to damage and wear n tear.

I love the concept of the Gigabyte p34w series laptops. But the quality needs to be much better, especially for the money.

6. TellyBoi

Reputations:
    I dunno but Alienwares here are getting a lot of complaints. overheating issues and underperformance. true there isnt much complaint regarding the materials and build construct but the overheating and underperformance does take away that validity of paying for such premium. in comparison to ROG, Alienware is really overpriced.

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In my area they all have the same pricing pretty much (in the same tier). So I dont know what you mean with paying a premium. They do over next day service at your home/office for one year. If your Asus ROG is broken you have to send it away for some weeks. That is already a fairly big difference imo.

I knwo Alienware catch some flack. Mostly from users that want to upgrade every part of the laptop at all costs. But according benchmarks they all perform pretty much equally with the same hardware.

But overheating? The Gigabyte is constantly overheating and thus throttling and cannot hold even the base clockspeed under load. It is really a problem which should be fixed. I tried to remedy it with a proper repaste, with undervolting etc. But I never could keep it steady above 2.6ghz on all 4 cores while also having the GPU under full load.

8. TellyBoi

Reputations:

here it is over a $1,000 more for the Alienware for the same specs as that of an ROG. not sure about home service or what locations they have local support but I dont think they have it in our location. despite of that service, it would still be a lot more expensive compared to the extended warranty I paid for 4 years, so it's not really reason enough to buy one. although I must admit that I like the Alienware's presentation.

haven't experienced any throttling and overheating with the Gigabyte yet although that sounds annoying if the pasting is lousy and the paste used is not even good. I do experienced heating and fan running like crazy but I believe it has to do more with the GPU working a lot and due to the dimensions, exhaust and materials used to minimize heat. so far, Acer and MSI are the brands which I found to be consistently problematic.

9. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    whereas the same maker makes the alienware and the acer. the one you said was poor its made by same company in the same factory.

it is called compal. the same maker makes the dell xps and acer travelmate it is called wistron.
    you are trying to associate a retail brand with the manufacture and in general the only time that happens is in a small brand like gigabyte, made in taiwant small scale.

my aorus, it doesnt bend its quite nice. its just more expensive.

Its the one that is like an alienware 15. only its way nicer....

10. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I dont have a gigabyte p34 but the design of the aorus x5 is way more advanced than an alienware 15, which is a mass produced in china sort of version of the same thing.

I did have to repaste it absolutely gigabytes dont have that down. I play for hours with no heat at all though its very nice sturdy. when it was new it was totally cutting edge becusee its not mass produced it will always be a step ahead of an alienware

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.