P Series (P34,35) Skylake Refresh By December

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by kilinol, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TellyBoi

TellyBoi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

build quality in my opinion would remain the same. the point being is that Skylake was made inorder to build smaller and lighter machines. considering cooling, ventilation and materials won't be as elaborate or too stacked to maintain system stability.

2. Il picchio

Il picchio Newbie

Reputations:
    I have just seen this video
    C505 of xmg is based on the p35w gigabyte chassis (practically a sort of rebrand).
    What do you think about? Faulty laptop or a serious problem of the whole serie?

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow . Gigabyte is know for shotty build quality with the p series, but I've never seen anything like that. It's almost like they made the chassis out of cardboard.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4. Il picchio

Il picchio Newbie

Reputations:
    So, what do you mean about "bad build quality"? In Italy gigabyte models aren't sold so I don't know pratically anything about, on the web there are few informations about the p35 series but nothing very exhaustive.
    Can you do some examples?

In other words, we are talking about bad quality compared to the best laptops in this price range or a really bad build quality?

Thanks a lot

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Similar to the problems I experienced with the P34W V3. The reasons why this happens is partly because of the plastic keyboard tray to save costs of making multiple versions of the frame for each keyboard layout for different countries. Another problem is that the aluminum is very thin on this machine and there is no real frame underneath. On the p34W it is not as severe because the smaller footprint. On the P35W it is worse because it is larger but also the cutout for the optical drive makes the frame very weak. They should remove the optical drive, built in better cooling and battery. After this the frame would already be more durable. But it really needs a stronger frame inside. Now it is just a plastic layer with screw holes for the bottom panel which is of thin plastic as well.

edit: its too bad though, i loved the gigabyte brand, owned 8 mothersboards from them the past 8 years and they were all outstanding. They graphics cards are solid too. So its sad to see this might hurt their brand.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  6. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would say it's bad build quality compared to any other laptop above $1000. On my unit alone, the track pad buttons are bent, the thermal paste job was a huge mess, and the display has a 1 inch patch of dead pixels. I've seen multiple reports of the video card failing. One guy on this forum even sent his in for repair like 3 times only for his video card to fail every time. Luckily, I haven't had any hardware issues.

It just seems like their main focus is the Aorus line and they pop the p laptops out to make a few extra bucks on the side.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7. Il picchio

Il picchio Newbie

Reputations:
    So if I carry the laptop to university something about 3-4 time a week, I am practically sure that I'll see my laptop bent, right?

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    mine did, and i was carrying it in a padded crumpler laptop messenger back everyday and once a week I had to bent the laptop back to its original position or else it would wiggle on my table.

9. kingcow

kingcow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. Piotr2293

Piotr2293 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.