P Series (P34,35) Skylake Refresh By December

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by kilinol, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kilinol

kilinol Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the Gigabyte reddit thread (link below), it was announced that the new Gigabyte P models will be out by late next month. Going to be competing with the MSI GS40. Think the new P34 will be throttling though, like the P34Wv3. But the Skylake heat efficiency might help with that a lot. Though I would prefer a cool laptop that runs at a lower fps. The new P34 will definitely stick to the 970M though and the P35 will probably have an X option (GTX980). I hate when temperatures are above 50C on my keyboard.

I will probably be getting one of the two. What do you guys think about the P34 and P35 in general?

In Link: " GIGABYTE_PL:Hello Legojs, the Skylake P34W series will be out by the end of Nov 2015"
    Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytega...ylake_gigabyte_laptop_especially_p34w_series/

2. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm waiting for the x7 for sure.. But with skylake you shouldn't have any throttling at all. It runs on average 10 degree's Celsius cooler than haswell and broadwell. And hopefully they improved cooling some to drop temps a few more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

3. kilinol

kilinol Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wut? Srs? Do you have a source on that?

4. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How warm a computer runs depends on both the processor and the cooling system. One can't talk temperature differences unless given a certain cooling system and even then it's iffy.

5. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Take a look at GenTech's benchmark of the MSI running skylake. We are taking temps in the 60s during a benchmark... Gaming is generally even cooler. Then when they cranked the OC to 4GHZ it ran low 80s. That's impressive for a laptop and incredible for an overclock of that caliber compared to haswell and broadwell. Yes different laptops will vary based on level of cooling... But it gives me faith for the new Aorus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

6. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For Skylake Intel did prioritize power consumption so it should be running colder in general... Sure hope Gigabyte will have a i7 6820HK version available at launch.

7. tryin

tryin Newbie

Reputations:
    I would love to get a p34x with the 980m and the hk processor. I doubt it will happen though b/c of the gpu heat, I'd be willing to get the p35x if I have to.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 970M is already a bit too hot for this machine. The 980M would kill it unfortunately.

9. Il picchio

Il picchio Newbie

Reputations:
    Ehy guys, do you know if this will be "just" an hardware refresh (skylake, ddr4, ssd pcie) or there will be physical improvement such as a stronger chassis, better cooling system and a better keyboard?

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

10. TellyBoi

TellyBoi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I don't want to burst your bubble, but it is highly doubtful that SkyLake could go 10C lower consistently and depending on what load/stress it is under. it could be lower but I don't it reaches 10C. possibility is most likely 3-4C down. considering the architectural and design difference over the Haswell and Broadwell isn't exactly that too far different. I doubt it would reach 10C unless there is some massive throttling or auto-power management involved. Gaming could possibly run cooler but not without any downside on performance or downgrade on GPU architecture and features.

the Skylake model that I saw for example has less VRAM compared to it's Broadwell counterparts. point is, more VRAM generates more voltage, heat for more load capacity. I have yet to see a Skylake system that has a similar GPU spec to that of a Broadwell. unless the Skylake cpu is doing sort of a GPGPU instruction which I doubt that it could be doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.