P/S problem on 07 Jeep Liberty

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by hizzaah, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I went out to my gf's jeep the other morning to drive it and it started a bit funny (high rpms) and then when I turned the wheel I heard what sounded like the power steering pump (heard it whine a million times in my fox body).

Some guy was being a jerk-off and really wanted my parking spot so I drove it to the edge of the parking lot to see what I could find. It seemed to be leaking from both the cap on the reservoir and from the rubber boot on the passenger side of the rack. not a huge amount though. I tuned the car off, cleaned off the cap and stuck it back on, re started it, and it appeared to be fine. No noise, steering was smooth, so I drove it to walmart to grab some Lucas PS Stop Leak stuff. I could find a single dang thing in the car to puncture a hole through the plastic tip, so I started up and drive to fedex, then back to my place where I put 3/5 (the bottle says it could take up to 2 bottles in some cases and to just fill as needed) the stop leak in and drove it around.

I remember being told that to make sure the p/s fluid gets all way to the end of each side you have to turn the wheel all the way in one direction and hold it for a while till the whining stops so I did that for each side. Then I went to an open spot in the parking lot and drove in tight circles each direction. All seemed good.

Left it, came back later that night and it had still leaked a little, but it was just a few drops. I figured if a seal in the rack was leaking into the boot, these drops could just be what was left in the boot.

Left it over night, still some leaking and the p/s pump was whining like crazy. I put in a bit more stop leak and it was fine.

Same thing today. Went back after leaving it overnight and the pump was whining again. A bit more stop leak and it worked fine. the cap leaks intermittently. I clean the reservoir off with brake parts cleaner sometimes it stays clean, sometimes is covered in p/s fluid. I'll try to grab a new cap on my way to walmart later.

Any ideas? should I continue using the stop leak for another bottle and seem if it works itself out or is it recommended that I take it and have it looked at? I wanted to take it a few days ago, but I wanted to exhaust all avenues and get an idea of what i'm dealing with before I take it to some shop and have them tell me some lies to make money..

2. Ferrari

Ferrari Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    similar thing happened to my car.

It sounds like your power steering pump is done and should be replaced, if the stop leak didn't work, then it will only get worse. DO NOT OVERFILL IT.

3. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, how heavy is the steering on a Jeep Liberty if the power steering pump checks out? Worse yet, what if the power steering fails in the middle of an interstate off ramp? Will the owner be strong enough and alert enough to deal with heavy unassisted steering?

Whether or not you have the power steering pump replaced depends on your means and whether it makes economic sense to do so? Does the GF plan on trading in this Jeep Liberty? How many miles are on it? Is this a vehicle that she plans on keeping when gas prices hit $5/gallon this summer?

4. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It appears fine now. I'm thinking it was taking a while for the stop leak to work as it was in the 20s when I put it in and for a few days after, and that stuff is already kinda thick to begin with. now that it has warmed up outside, we haven't had a problem with it. The steering is actually smoother than before. I'm trying to figure

I'm going to keep an eye on it, but her parent's just bought her this Jeep this past summer after replacing a Taurus they got taken for (way more in repairs then they paid for it). it has something like 150k miles which wouldve made me keep walking, but they seem to like paying too much for stuff that's gonna break :rolleyes: they told her the next car/repair is on her, so we'll see.

I'm going to do what I can from school, but I dont have anything in the way of tools.. I'm going to recommend that they trade the car in before it gets worse, but I doubt they'll listen to me. I'm sure they'll want to fix it instead. I drive whenever we drive back home, and I feel confident in my ability to deal with the car if the p/s went out (had it happen to me in my mustang, again in a mazda, I drove a 72 duster for a while that was manual steering, and I managed fine when I discovered on the highway that the dealership didn't bolt up the rack on our van), but I know she couldn't handle it.. I can see her reaction now.. *sigh* that girl needs to work on being able to walk in a straight line w/o tripping first :p

5. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Jeeps qdont whine like fords do so Id replace the pump asap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.