Owner's Thread: Dell Inspiron 11 3147 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by scottyinco, Jul 24, 2014.

1. miles9123

miles9123 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am configuring for someone who "will not change".
    this is going to be used strictly in laptop mode.
    So:
    - I need to unload 8.1 and load 7
    or
    - I need to load 7 as a second OS - If that can be done with this configuration.
    Any help? - Anyone - Anyone?
    Miles

2. PDSway

PDSway Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have not done this, but confident it can be done. You might have to hunt down a few drivers, but everything on this laptop supports Win7 (afaik).

The general steps (that I recommend) are:

1) Make an image/backup of the entire hard drive (optional).

2) Disable UEFI in bios (go back to BIOS boot). Win7 certainly does support UEFI, but all the Dell machines I've seen do it this way, UEFI->Win8 and BIOS->Win7

3) Boot from your Win7 (usb) media.

4) Format the hard drive (wiping everything out). You can do this during installation (or via command prompt).

5) Install Win7

6) Try the Dell WIn8 drivers, see what installs and what doesn't. Then track down the Win7 version of whatever drivers you need.

7) Windows Updates and testing.

Let us know how it goes.

3. miles9123

miles9123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input.
    But I have been "playing" with giving win 8 the win 7 look and feel.
    - Found how to boot into the desktop.
    - Downloaded "Classic Shell"
    With all that, I might get her to work with it!!!

If I have to download 7, will let you know how it works.
    Thank you
    Miles

4. bfromcal

bfromcal Newbie

Reputations:
    (Nevermind on the first question. Just overlooked an obvious setting.)

On another note:

So, I replaced the Seagate 500mb hdd w/ an SSD, used the included Win 8.1 CD and more or less followed post #93, including using the dropbox files and the order of installation.

Everything seems to be running fine, but there were two items from the Dell Support Page I was unable to update / add:

1) The Dell Digital Delivery Application
    and
    2) The Dell Update Application

When I first tried, it stated that "This application requires .NET Framework 3.5. Please install .NET Framework then run this installer again."

I thought additional Windows updates would solve this, but alas no .NET Framework updates came when checking for updates. I doubt this is related, but thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has thoughts.

I suppose I should also note that because I was doing a fresh install, I didn't change the settings as described in post 93 (e.g., legacy/uefi setting). Everything seems to be working fine. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please share them. Thanks!

Also, to let everyone know, there are a few new drivers on the Dell Support page dated Dec. 2, 2014, so you might want to check that out if you want to update anything. They include Audio, BIOS, Touchpad, and Network drivers.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  5. yatesd

yatesd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think this will be a better solution overall and should make upgrading to Windows 10 easier when it comes around next year. Glad to hear you found some other potential solutions.

6. Burner1515

Burner1515 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello All.

I purchased this laptop Inspiron 11-3147 with the idea I would install a 128GB Sandisk standard SSD (as a gift). It worked fine and all seems well. I restored from usb backup media made on original HDD.

1) Is there a performance reason everyone is avoiding this method to install the SSD? I have ran some benchmarks and they seemed par for the coarse. (230MB read 180MB write, supposedly rated much higher but is the mfg rating and research notes 200 is norm read at least)

2) I have seen a lot of Sata 2 talk. The Sandisk Dashboard software I have shows SATA 3 6Gb/s and full link speed of 6Gb/s. Someone noted bay trail is only sata 2? any information on why this was said earlier and mine seems to be at full 3 speeds? (doubt it matters with this SSD)

Thanks!

7. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Then just put on classic shell or start 8. I have a precision m6500 with 8.1 and you wouldn't even know it has metro on it. Don't see the purpose of ice skating uphill when a simple free or dirt cheap app can do the trick.

8. fsp48

fsp48 Newbie

Reputations:

I ended up using software the main IT guy I know recommended as a safe bet. iObit Driver Booster 2 free worked. I poked around enough between my company's Windows On The Go load and my Windows OEM internal HD load to notice the i2C dependency for the Synaptics touchpad to even work or be recognized as the dell pointing device. The trouble was there was nothing showing up as missing in device manager. Non of the drivers I got from Dell made a difference as well as their scan and automated update software. It came down to the 3rd party listed above that worked to make the trackpad fully functional again for gesture, multipoint touch and above all, be able to turn off and lock when in tablet mode.

The drivers listed below are the important part to notice...that trackpad/touchpad relies on the I2C for HID and will show in the HID section of device manager along with the synaptics and then the dell touchpad will show in the mice and other pointing devices.

Intel driver for Pentium Processor N and J Series Pentium/Celeron N and J series Serial IO (SIO) - I2C Port 1 - 0f41

Intel driver for Pentium Processor N and J Series Pentium/Celeron N and J series Platform Control Unit SMBus Port - 0F12

Guess I should have read a bit further in the thread as there is a very detailed post a few pages back on exactly what to do to make the touchpad fully function and lock...at least I got the synaptics fun programs he listed in that post. If you want the easy way that worked for me though that software I used did actually do the trick and it was free.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  9. whwong

whwong Newbie

Reputations:
    I used to miracast from the stock dell 1707 wifi adapter to the actiontec screenbeam receiver, performance is very poor, lots of picture breakages and connection drops. I just replaced the dell 1707 with the intel 7260NGW, now miracast works significantly better, I can stream 1080p with not much picture breakages, connection is solid, no drop so far. Also screen lag seems to be smaller, so it is easier to control via the casted screen. Just share this information to those who have problem with miracast.

10. fsp48

fsp48 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just used the screen share project feature running stock to a WD Live and it worked flawlessly. I do want more ram. Any ideas of what to get? I did see it needs just 1.35v so I'll search the thread more.