Owner's Thread: Dell Inspiron 11 3147 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by scottyinco, Jul 24, 2014.

1. MartyH

MartyH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My Dell 11-3147 Power Options on battery are set to "Turn off the Display" after 15 minutes and to "Put the computer to Sleep" after 30 minutes.

Pressing a key on the keyboard or touching the touchpad easily restores the display before the computer goes to sleep. However, after the computer goes to Sleep, only the Power Button will wake it from sleep.

Is my 11-3147 operating correctly, or does the wake-up process sound like the PC is defective or a setting is wrong?

Please let me know if your 11-3147 can "wake from sleep" using the keyboard/touchpad.

Thanks for your help.

2. Epic Caesura

Epic Caesura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What you describe is how it's supposed to be. I've never had a laptop from any manufacturer work any differently -- are there machines that don't do this?

3. PDSway

PDSway Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Some laptops DO "wake from keyboard or touchpad" and some DO NOT. Apparently the Dell 3147 DOES NOT, it's not "defective", it's just not designed this way. It's possible a future BIOS update could enable wake but unlikely.

One workaround is use a WIRED USB MOUSE. That will wake the computer from sleep (there's a BIOS setting to enable/disable "wake from usb"). I've tested this and it works on BIOS A03 with "wake from USB" enabled.

4. MartyH

Reputations:
    Epic Caesura,

I have an "HP dm4t" laptop that wakes from sleep by pressing a key or by touching the touchpad or by pressing the power button. My 11-3147 wakes only if the power button is pressed. One wake-up option instead of three. I would prefer having all three optrions.

I went back to the Office Depot where I bought the 11-3147 and tested several HP laptops; they all woke from sleep with the keyboard/touchpad or power button. Two Toshiba's were just like the Dell and needed the power button to wake-up. Another Dell 2-in-1 with the same 360-degree hinge in the 13-7000 series woke-up with keyboard/touchpad or power button.

So, it seems to be a mixed bag. Dell Tech Support said that the keyboard/touchpad "should" wake the 11-3147 from sleep, but they couldn't figure out how to do it.

5. MartyH

Reputations:
    PDSway,

Thanks for your response, but I definitely plan to stay "mouseless" with the 11-3147. I've gotten used to the 3 options to wake-up my "HP dm4t" laptop and find it more convenient than having only 1 option. Not a big deal ...

6. eksine

eksine Newbie

Reputations:
    there is no such thing as processor noise. CPU's or "processors" do not make noise, period. there is no moving parts in them. what you are probably hearing is hard drive noise, if it's louder than normal its probably failing. on my 3147 the hard drive barely makes noise. also if it's a constant noise it could be your CPU fan, but this sound would be constant usually and I don't even think the 3147 has a fan, its so small its probably passively cooled

7. tjohn99

tjohn99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you both using the stock HDD and having the crackling noise? I am fully stock still (3147) and having the crackling noise when playing mp3 or streaming youtube :mad:. Sometimes the noise subsides. I can replicate by increasing or decreasing the volume.

8. kaichu dento

kaichu dento Newbie

Reputations:
    This is exactly what I'd been planning on trying and it's good to see that it will work!
    I've done my last couple of hard drive swaps using Macrium Reflect and been able to just start using the computer again right away.
    See the first post I responded too above. I'm also planning on a 9.5mm drive and apparently it's a go, with a bit of a small bulge, which I think I can live with.
    I think my last upgrade was using this company too. Does anyone else have any favorites when it comes to RAM or are they all pretty much comparable?
    Mine doesn't get hot at all, but I have yet to put in my upgrades.

I had trouble with it all around until I got it figured out a bit and the power button corner is where I started when putting the lid back on.
    There is a fan, but it's very, very quiet and right in the middle of the back. Strange looking creature with the heat conductor running in a curve from the processor right to it.

9. miles9123

miles9123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Dell 11 3000 3147 Enthusiasts:
    I want to get rid of Windows 8.1 and install Windows 7.
    I know I have to do some Bios changes and probably reparation the drive (HDD)

1. Can I get Windows 7 onto this computer and use it?
    2. Anyone out there got a good checklist of the procedures to follow to do so?

thanks for any help

10. yatesd

yatesd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The easiest way to get rid of 8.1 is to leave the OS installed but to just live in desktop mode. Virtually no difference. Are you having compatibility issues? Or just don't like learning new things?

Honestly, I am having trouble understanding why anyone would want a 2-n-1 with Windows 7. This is exactly where 8.1 was designed to excel.