Owner's Thread: Dell Inspiron 11 3147 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by scottyinco, Jul 24, 2014.

1. hydaths

hydaths Newbie

Reputations:
    I'd like to share my experience on touchpad issues and migration to SSD. My PC is Insprion 3147 upgraded to Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB.

SSD migration: I did a hard disk clone using Paragon Harddisk Manager. Then the system won't reboot. After repaired boot record using bootrec and rebuilt EFI partition using bcdboot, the Win 8.1 system still cannot startup. Then I find this link
    Operating system comes up with Blue Screen Error: Stop c000021a - Ask the Core Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    Basically this link turns on automount in Win 8.1 so it can rescan the hard disk. Following this link issue resolved.

Then I come up with the touchpad issue. Basically Win 8.1 recognize my touchpad as PS/2 compatible mouse, and no matter how many times I installed the driver from Dell support pager, it cannot recognize it. Manually changing it to Dell Touchpad resulted in not working device. Then I visited this website and I installed driver from 3137 support page, it worked!

Hope anyone encountering these problems will find these lines useful

2. PDSway

PDSway Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, even with a fresh install using MSDN Win 8.1 (with Update 1) media, I also get "PS/2 Mouse". I also tried older bios (A00/A01/A02), no effect. I've found several Dell Touchpad drivers that will install (look at the 3148 drivers too), but you want to check 2 things:

a) Can you disable the touchpad in "Mobility Center"?

b) Does the touchpad automatically disable in "tablet mode"?

I'm stuck on the "tablet mode" problem. It's always on whether in laptop mode or folded over in tablet mode.

I'll edit this post if I find any fixes.

UPDATE: See post 185 (below) for solutions...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  3. mxl180

mxl180 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    are you saying 3137 touchpad drivers allow the touchpad to be disabled on tablet mode? For me 3137 did install but tablet mode still does not disable.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  4. rsr_am

rsr_am Newbie

Reputations:
    My experience with W 10 preview build 9879 was pretty smooth (Installed on a Samsung EVO SSD):

Followed Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 (upto step 3) from post #93 of this thread and it was pretty smooth.

At this point all devices are recognized and proper drivers were installed and did not find any unrecognized devices in device manager, so I did not proceed any further.Too, the keyboard/touchpad was getting locked in 'tablet' mode.

NOTE: The screen rotation is not working yet. Upon researching, it *seems* to be related to continuum feature that is not released in the tech preview builds yet. Consumer builds may have it...

5. PDSway

Reputations:
    A solution for those with non-locking/disabling Touchpads...

Comments/suggestions/improvements are welcome.

The core issue is the driver for device "ACPI\80860F41". You need "I2C Controller" but the Dell/Intel Chipset drivers (9.4.4.1006) "cover up" / install a driver for this device that does not implement the protocol needed for "Mice -> HID Compatible Mouse" which is required for the "Synaptics HID Device" driver which is required for the Dell Quickset app to auto-enable/disable the touchpad in "tablet mode".

I have several ways to fix and the USUAL DISCLAIMERS apply (not claiming it's perfect or i'm an "expert" or i've done extensive testing, etc, etc, etc). YMMV

Here is the "I2C Controller" driver (isolated from PDQ8's driver pack, many thanks for that) View attachment I2C Controller.zip . Download and extract to your "Drivers" folder (I use "C:\Drivers").

There are 2 paths to follow: "existing" installs and "clean" installs...

For "existing" installs:
    (especially those who purchased from Dell Outlet who is apparently using a flawed Win8.1 image)...
    1) Uninstall Dell Quickset (may not be required but good practice)
    2) Uninstall Dell\Synaptics Touchpad driver (required)
    3) Reboot
    4) Under "Device Manager->Mice and Other Pointing Devices", you should have just "PS/2 Compatible Mouse"
    5) Open the folder where you extracted the "I2C Controller" driver. Right-click on file "oem62.inf" and choose "Install". The driver is installed (appears in Device Manager->System)
    6) Device Manager->Mice should now have 2 entries including "HID-compliant mouse"
    7) Install the Dell/Synaptics touchpad driver (I'm using the 3147 v18.1.2.9 driver but others also work)
    8) Reboot
    9) Install Dell Quickset
    -> SKIP TO TEST <-

For "clean" installs:
    (those who are installing fresh from Microsoft or Dell Windows 8.1 media)

Here's what my 3147 looked like after a clean install of Windows 8.1 (with Update 1)...
    CleanDM.jpg

It's the 2nd "Unknown Device" that's the problem ("ACPI\80860F41"). When this device has the proper "I2C Controller" driver, it will create the "HID-compliant mouse" device (Device Manager->Mice and Other...).

If using the Dell/Intel 9.4.4 chipset drivers:
    1) Manually install the "I2C Controller" driver (from the folder where you extracted the "I2C Controller driver, right-click file "oem62.inf" file and choose "Install").
    2) Install the Dell/Intel chipset drivers
    SKIP to #3

If using the Lenovo/Intel 10.0.14 chipset drivers:
    1) Install chipset drivers
    2) In Device Manager, you'll see 2 "Other devices" with a yellow exclamation that "need drivers". The chipset driver "identified" the device but DID NOT install a driver. Find the one saying "Intel Atom ... Serial IO (SIO) - I2C Port 1" and manually update the driver using the "I2C Controller" folder from your Drivers folder (OR just manually install the "I2C Controller" driver by right-clicking the "oem62.inf" file and choosing "Install").

3) Install the other drivers. Here's the sequence I used (ymmv):
    - Intel Trusted Execution Engine
    - Airplane Mode Switch
    - Realtek Card Reader
    - ST Free Fall Sensor
    - Intel HD Graphics
    - Network
    - Realtek Audio Driver
    - Synaptics Input/Touchpad
    - Quickset

TEST: Make sure that...
    - the Touchpad works
    - "Device Manager->Mice and other..." shows 2 devices: "Dell Touchpad" and "PS/2 Compatible Mouse"
    CleanDM2.jpg
    - the Touchpad icon is displayed in System Tray (bottom right)
    - the Touchpad can be enabled/disabled in "Mobility Center"
    - the Touchpad and keyboard are "auto-disabled" in "tablet mode" (folded over)

LINKS:
    - Attached "I2C Controller" driver View attachment I2C Controller.zip
    - Lenovo/Intel "Bay Trail" Chipset drivers 10.0.14 (newer than Dell)
    - Dell 3147 Touchpad 18.1.2.9 driver
    - Dell 3148 Quickset (slightly newer)
    - Some amusing Touchpad Apps from Synaptics

TIPS:
    - Quick way to "Device Manager" (and other stuff), "Windows Key->X" (press together) then "M"
    - If you've installed/uninstalled all kinds of drivers multiple times, you may have trouble installing the Touchpad driver. My recommendation is to "start over" (restore/recover your factory Dell Windows or do a "clean" install).

BTW, if you're looking for someone to do this for you (or other hardware/software upgrades), please send me a PM (private message) and I'll try to help.

Michael Dell: I'm still waiting for my check!​

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    tjohn99, Smoke1991, sut703 and 2 others like this.
  6. PDSway

Reputations:
    Dell released a new A03 bios update
    Fixes
    - Not Applicable

Enhancements
    - Updated Microcode to MCU8829 for support N3540 and 2940 CPU.

Also an updated Realtek Audio driver A01
    Fixes
    - Not Applicable.

Enhancements
    - Improved Audio device stability.

Version 6.0.1.7283, A01

Also an updated Touchpad driver A01
    Fixes
    - Fixed Touchpad driver disabled unexpectedly when enabling setting without mouse present.

Enhancements
    - Not Applicable.

Version 18.1.2.9, A01

And an updated Dell 1707 Network Driver A02
    Fixes
    - Fixed Bluetooth can't transfer file to Intel Bluetooth (With MSFT stack).

Enhancements
    - Not Applicable.

Version 10.0.0.297, A02

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    mxl180, kinect and mutti_wilson like this.
  7. kinect

kinect Newbie

Reputations:
    Big thanks PDSway... :thumbsup:

I will try this later. While I don't use the notebook in tablet mode often, I still feel that it is a flaw that needs to be taken cared of.

8. kinect

kinect Newbie

Reputations:
    ^^^ CONFIRMED.

Above method worked.

9. mutti_wilson

mutti_wilson Newbie

Reputations:
    PDSway, that worked perfectly. After clean installing 8.1 on an SSD, I was having all sorts of battles with touchpad drivers. I had a combination that worked fine albeit the locking in tablet mode. Now I've got everything working 100%.

10. mxl180

mxl180 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    PDSway worked, well at first it didn't work. Then I went ahead and used Dell 3147 Touchpad 18.1.2.9 driver installed ( i either installed it twice or installed an earlier version).... got bluescreen of death!. After reboot, bam it worked! Touchpad now locks!