Owner's Thread: Dell Inspiron 11 3147 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by scottyinco, Jul 24, 2014.

1. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Funny... you would think that would be the the 13" Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 for that price.

2. Epic Caesura

Epic Caesura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's pretty funny. HSN seems to be pretty dodgy in general. One of my hobbies is watches, and I've noticed that HSN sells a lot of overpriced watches with very questionable sales pitches. And, by questionable, I mean they just flat-out lie sometimes.

Laptop-related story: So, I use this machine as the media center for my stereo. The class D amp pulls the music straight from the ssd and bypasses the laptop's decoding for a slightly crisper sound. It's a shame iTunes works so terribly with a touchscreen, but otherwise it's great. I was disappointed to discover, though, that I was getting static on the right speaker when I changed the volume, and sometimes it sounded like that speaker sounded a little thin, like it wasn't getting everything. I figured it was probably just the wiring to the amp, and I was gonna re-wire that speaker when I got around to it. Then one day I poked the screen extra hard for something and the amp actually cut out for a moment. That's when I realized that the usb cable plugged into the laptop was a bit loose. I was using the usb 3 port, so I switched to the usb 2 next to it. Suddenly, static with volume change on the right speaker is gone, and so is the thin sound. Plug it back into usb 3, problem comes back. Huh. I'm a little surprised a wonky usb connection could have that effect, but switching ports demonstrates it pretty conclusively.

The usb 3 port definitely works otherwise -- I use it with a thumb drive to put music on the machine. But, the connection is definitely looser and "floppier" than with the usb 2 ports. I popped the back just in case there was anything I could perhaps tighten, but (as expected) the usb ports are straight on the mb, with nothing to tighten

tl;dr: Anyone else find that the usb 3 port is a bit loose? I suppose I could do Dell warranty, but it hardly seems worth it, and I suspect a replacement mb would be the same. I'm mostly just curious if anyone else has noticed a problem.

3. Jet Life

Jet Life Newbie

Reputations:
    I got mines yesterday and my usb port isn't loose at all. But I hear a noise on the right side of the keyboard. Is that the hard drive spinning?

4. neil_h

neil_h Newbie

Reputations:
    I created a Macrium Rescue disk and am trying to clone a factory fresh 500GB to a 120GB SSD. The 500GB drive is less than 120GB filled but Macrium is not letting me clone the disk due to the different size. I have tried the free and professional version. I could make an image on a larger hard drive but when restoring it to the smaller SSD the same might happen.

Is there an option in Macrium to force it to clone to a different size disk by not cloning the unused space?

5. DanielNTX

Reputations:
    Use Miray HD Clone, it lets you clone to smaller drives with no fuss.

6. neil_h

neil_h Newbie

Reputations:
    Created a bootup disk with Miray HD Clone. On another laptop it works fine.

On the Inspiron 3147, it starts to boot ("Starting Miray Symobi") but then gives a black screen with nothing more. Any ideas what may be causing this?

7. DanielNTX

Reputations:
    I didn't do a bootup disk. I just did in-OS cloning from inside Windows itself.

8. mxl180

mxl180 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How are you guys doing a clean install. You suggest that over cloning the drive to SSD?

Update: used Miray HD Clone, had to shrink the partition to make it smaller than my SSD, then copy.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  9. mxl180

mxl180 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I clone to SSD drive, but touchpad isn't working.

Update: Weird, cloning requires drivers reinstalled. End up using the recovery dvd for clean install.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  10. rsr_am

rsr_am Newbie

Reputations:
    take a look at http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-guide-m18xr2-alienware-18-a.html#post9789851

although i downloaded that driver, don't see any devices in device manager that i need it to apply to..what could i be missing..

screen does not rotate for me on windows 10.. is it because continuum is still not released in technical preview?