Owner's Thread: Dell Inspiron 11 3147 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by scottyinco, Jul 24, 2014.

1. chrisb009

chrisb009 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes - Install Hyper-V or another virtualization environment and load Win7 as a guest OS. The 3147 has virtualization capabilities built in and can run Hyper-V. I have Hyper-V running on my 3147 with no issues. BTW - sometimes the virtual switch can be a bear to get DHCP leases to the guest OS.

2. Epic Caesura

Epic Caesura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just tried it, and this did nothing for me. I just downloaded the driver again and re-ran it. Did you do anything else (like uninstall it first)?

3. PDQ8

PDQ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Revised 7/14/15

These instructions will help you do a clean install on a Dell 3147 laptop with the existing hard drive or a replacement ssd hard drive. Tested on Windows 8.1 - Please do not ask for Windows 7, Windows 10 or Linux assistance.

1. Update to latest Bios
    2. From another pc, download these drivers/apps (link below) to a flash drive:
    1. ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor Driver, Version 2.2.2.20, A00
    2. Dell Wireless 1707 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Driver. Version 10.0.0.297, A02 (uncheck bluetooth app when installing)
    3. Chipset Driver 9.4.4.1006,A00
    4. Trusted Execution Engine Driver 1.1.0.1064,A00
    5. Synaptics Touchpad Driver 18.1.2.9,A01
    6. HD Graphics Driver 10.18.10.3408,A00
    7. Audio ALC3234 Driver 6.0.1.7283,A01
    8. Airplane Mode Switch Driver 1.4.1,A00
    9. RTS5176 Card Reader Driver 6.3.9600.30175,A00
    10. USB 3.0 to Lan Dongle Driver 8.10.1009.2013,A00
    11. Quickset Application 11.1.21,A00
    3. Press F2 during bootup, choose 'Boot', disable 'Secure Boot', Enable 'Load Legacy Option Rom', set 'Boot List Option' to Legacy, press F10 to save and reboot.
    4. Erase the pre-installed Seagate 500gb HDD and all partitions then change GPT to MBR with AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition (link below), replacement SSD should be set to MBR already.,
    5. Press F11 and boot your Windows 8.1 media, At the 'Install Now' screen, choose 'Create New Partition', will automatically create a small partition for the bootloader and a large partition for Windows.
    6. Click 'Format' on the large partition and proceed with install of Windows. You can re-size/change partitions with AOMEI later on.
    7. Activation key is embedded into bios, will ONLY automatically activate after connecting to your wireless network for Windows 8.1 base edition, if you have a legal copy of Windows 8.1 Pro, feel free to use that instead and activate by phone.
    8. Copy drivers from flash drive to c:\Dell. Please do **not** do any Windows updates just yet.
    9. Right click on 'Desktop', choose 'Personalize', click 'Control Panel Home', then select 'Device Manager'.
    10. There will be three unknown items listed in Device Manager, right click on each one by choose update driver and point to c:\Dell for the folder, all unknown items will be assigned. Expand 'Mice and other pointing devices', right click on HID Compliant Mouse and update driver, will change to Dell Touchpad. (get drivers from factory pc link)

[​IMG]
    1. Airplane Mode Switch
    2. I2C Host Controller (adds HD Complaint Mouse)
    3. ST Microelectronics 3 Axis Digital Accelerometer Solution

[​IMG]

11. The other three items in device manager will be assigned once you install the drivers sets in order above from steps 01-11, please do that now.
    12. Connect to wireless network, Windows will activate ONLY if your using Windows 8.1 base edition
    13. Do all Windows updates except for the one below , reboot as needed.

[​IMG]

**Keyboard/mouse will now lock when in tablet mode. Enjoy.**

Software Links
    AOMEI OneKey Recovery 1.2 - FREE

AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard - FREE

Changing to 'MBR' from GPT

Classic Shell 4.2.2 - FREE - Brings Back the Windows Start Button

Dell's 3147 Driver Page

Dell's 3147 USB Recovery Media - Restores PC to factory system specs with pre-installed software. View read.txt for details.
    Part 1/7
    Part 2/7
    Part 3/7
    Part 4/7
    Part 5/7
    Part 6/7
    Part 7/7

Dell's 3147 Driver's from Factory PC

Macrium Reflect 6.0.708 - FREE

Rufus 2.2 FREE - Create Bootable USB drives the easy way

Windows Installation Media Creation Tool to get Windows 8.1 ISO - FREE for clean install, (Choose English, Windows 8.1, (not N or Pro) x64 and download the iso)

Video Links
    How to replace ram and hard drive video tutorial. Ram voltage must be 1.35V

OPEN ME UP! Dell Inspiron 11 2-in-1 Disassembly

Dell Inspiron 3147 Video Review

Amazon Links
    $12.98: Grifiti Chiton 11 Neoprene Laptop Sleeve and Deck 11 Travel Laptop Lap Desk Combination for Macbooks, Laptops, and Other Small Notebooks and Netbooks. Sleeve fits the 3147 perfectly and comes with a lap desk.

$14.95 Fosmon USB 3.0 to RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter AX88179 QF QFN68 Chipset (Black)

$1.37: 5 Pcs Stylus Set Aqua Blue/Black/Red/Pink/Purple Stylus/styli Touch Screen Cellphone Tablet Pen for iPhone 4G 3G 3GS iPod Touch iPad 2 3 SONY PLAYSTATION PSP PS VITA Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, BlackBerry Playbook AMM0101US, Barnes and Noble Nook Color, Droid Bionic

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  4. coolqf

coolqf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Different CPUs require different Intel chipset drivers. What hardware isn't installed yet and what CPU do you have?

5. Epic Caesura

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the troubleshooting, man. Could I ask a favor? Any chance you could upload your folder with the complete driver package? That'd save me having to switch the original hdd back in just to get the drivers, and hopefully the missing Dell touchpad and touchpad-lock drivers will work for people even without a re-install.

6. PDQ8

PDQ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    See post #93

7. Epic Caesura

Reputations:
    Thanks, much appreciated!

Hmm. Okay, a snag in the plan is that in the device manager, I have nothing that shows as unknown or missing. So, for example, I don't have the second mouse device slot, so I can't update it with the Dell drivers (and the first slot reads as having a current driver). I suppose I could just re-install W8.1 and start fresh -- doesn't sound too difficult...

It's a good thing I don't need this laptop for much, so I can tinker with it instead of actually having to use it for something productive :)

8. PDQ8

PDQ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please refer to post #93.

9. Epic Caesura

Reputations:
    Thanks very much for the effort. I did a fresh re-install (was quick and easy) and used the downloaded driver package to fill in the missing devices (also very easy). By far the longest part of the process was updating W8.1, but now that's done.

And... the touchpad still doesn't lock in tablet mode, and the Dell touchpad driver isn't working properly. "Dell touchpad" is now listed in the device manager, but no toolbar icon appears, and when I try to get to the Dell touchpad settings through the control panel mouse section, it hangs forever with the spinning blue circle when I click the link. I gave it half-an-hour, and it never managed to open the Dell settings. So, I'm more-or-less where I was before, which is a bit disappointing.

So... I just popped the original HDD back in the machine. And guess what? The touchpad still doesn't lock in tablet mode, and while the Dell touchpad driver settings are available, two-finger rightclick doesn't work even when it's enabled. That's where I was two hours after the laptop first arrived. It turns out that all this time, I was trying to fix problems in my fresh install that were also there in the original. Well, in my frustration I ordered a cheap usb/sata cable from Amazon, so at this point I'm just gonna leave the hdd in and clone it to my ssd when the cable arrives.

*edit* Holeeee cow, the original hdd is slow. You forget what a spinning drive is like when you don't use one for awhile :)

10. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Using the original image here... the touchpad does not lock in tablet mode.