Owner's Thread: Dell Inspiron 11 3147 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by scottyinco, Jul 24, 2014.

1. scottyinco

scottyinco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just picked up a Dell Inspiron 11, 3000 Series, 3147 2-in-1 Convertible Notebook/Tablet. I got it on sale at Microcenter for $399.

Here's the link at Dell: New Inspiron 11 3000 Series 2-in-1 | Dell

I swapped out the 500gb HDD for a 512gb Crucial MX100 SSD, and upgraded the RAM from 4gb DDR3L to 8gb DDR3L. There is one memory slot and a 7mm height SATA drive caddy inside.

I'm looking for an extra AC Adapter. Dell seems to have changed their AC adapters recently and I can't find a replacement for this one. The tip is much smaller, with a center pin in the laptop port. The generic AC adapters with multiple tips don't have anything small enough for this new adapter. I can't even find it as an accessory on Dell's website. Anybody have ideas?

2. scottyinco

scottyinco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just chatted with Dell, and there are no spare AC Adapters available yet. That's ridiculous! There were at least 5 notebook models at Micro Center using that same AC Adapter! To release new models with no spare is ludicrous!

3. gabswiss

gabswiss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just got one as well. Got the Intel quad core processor and i'm pretty happy with the performance so far. Did you get yours with Pentium as well or Celeron?
    Was it easy to put the SSD in?

4. youngti

youngti Newbie

Reputations:
    It is very easy to replace the drive and memory. once you take the base off (after removing the screws it snaps off. Then two screws to remove the battery and then three to remove the drive.

Also I found this, I have not ordered it yet but it looks like it will work.
    AC19V90K1 - Inspiron 11 (3137) - Dell - Notebook Adapter - Batteries and Battery Chargers - Laptop Batteries, Digital Camera Batteries, Camcorder Batteries, Rechargeable Batteries, Notebook Adapter, Li-ion Batteries, Smart Phone Batteries at Battdepo

NewMan4Life2010 likes this.
  5. WallyB

WallyB Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got a 3147 and hearing processor noise. Anyone else hearing noise. Just wondering if I should return in.

Thanks for any response.

6. colinhrb

colinhrb Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi just wondering how did you guys pry the back off. i removed all 9 screws (the one in the middle too) but the back seems stuck to the body of the dell.

7. sandsthatflow

sandsthatflow Newbie

Reputations:
    How is the device so far? Any pros and cons? Im planning to buy one as my secondary portable laptop.

8. rj7766

rj7766 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got one with a good deal at Office depot....
    I replaced the HDD with a 256 Samsung SSD Switched in 8GB Ram stick I also replaced the WiFI card with an intel AC+BT card... It is the one that is supposed to be offered as an option as the drivers are on the website

The only issue I had reinstalling windows 8 was the touchpad drivers were a little weird. It did not want to recognize the touchpad.. I think i ended up with a combination of drivers and the touchpad app from the 3137 or something weird

So far it is working good though... no complaints for what it is.. it will play League of Legends which was suprising

9. UCSD

UCSD Newbie

Reputations:
    I encountered the same issue with the touchpad. The first laptop I received did not come with an operating system (seriously). Dell was nice enough to send an usb stick with the operating system, but it didn't have any drivers on it. I downloaded every driver for the system from Dell's website and the only one that didn't work was the touchpad. For some reason the driver is not recognized even though it'll say it was correctly installed, resulting in a touchpad that can't use multitouch gestures such as scrolling, zoom etc. I had to return it to get a replacement.

To anyone who is thinking about doing a clean install or such, please note that the touchpad drivers on Dell's website does not work. You have to get a copy of the driver from Dell Backup and Recovery which came with your system, otherwise your touchpad won't function correctly.

10. take_a_CHANCE

take_a_CHANCE Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried to do a clone of the hard drive to an ssd? I recently purchased this laptop and a crucial m500 240gb. Using acronis to clone the hdd results in blue screen after boot. Any help?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk