Owner's Lounge: Spectre x360 - 15-df0068nr (Late 2018) - 8565U cpu, MX150 gpu

Discussion in 'HP' started by nosauce, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Twain0

Twain0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Got meanwhile a second brandnew one, again the i7-8750/GTX1050-TI version.

I am working in a PC trade&repair shop and can say that the built quality of the (brandnew) devices is rather weak in absolute and not price related terms. The first one came with some painting defects and tiny dents on the shiny surrounding edge and a key ("H") which had a broken rubber switch cap (led to very shallow typing). The second one came with a deformated screen lid while beeing closed. It turned out to be a missing magnet in the case which normally forces the lid to close properly.

Otherwise those are great machines with a lot of power and pretty quiet operation.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. Twain0

Twain0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Also performed throttling tests with standard settings: with XTU CPU stress test, the frequency has been all the time between 2.6GHz and 3.8GHz with all six cores running. With XTU benchmark it happened the same, final result was 1452 Marks. Also the same with TS benchmark 1024, where the result was 129s. I didn't see any thermal throttling during the tests.

CB15 Multi: 1144
    3D Mark 11: P9140, GPU 8918, CPU 11084, combined 8498

Not outstanding but solid for such slim computer.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Atma likes this.
  3. ElfinHilon10

ElfinHilon10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From what it looks like, the WiFi chip is NOT replaceable. Can someone please tell me that I'm wrong?

4. Twain0

Twain0 Newbie

Reputations:
    It's definitely soldered and therefor NOT replaceable.

5. ElfinHilon10

ElfinHilon10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well damn. Do you know if the 13 inch is replaceable?

6. notabenem

notabenem Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Can't believe my eyes. So depending on the graphics (and the related CPU) the RAM may or may not be upgradeable.
    Apparently the i7-8750H/Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti uses up so much space, that there are no RAM slots, and RAM is soldered. What a shame! And I was about to go for this one. Looked too good to be true. :(
    However, if you opt for the i7-8565U/MX150 or for the (older, early 2018) i7-8705 VEGA model, then RAM is in slots.

What makes matters worse is that the service manual linked in the first post applies also to the 8750H model, but uses the diagrams for only the i7-8565U and misleads readers regarding the i7-8750H internals.

7. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This was at the top of my list to get until I saw that part, from the videos I've the ram seems to just be similar to a sodimm but laid flat with spacing between the modules and not angled and partially covering one another like removable socketed ones

I don't want to get a 4K display just for 16GB of ram