Owner's Lounge: Spectre x360 - 15-df0068nr (Late 2018) - 8565U cpu, MX150 gpu

Discussion in 'HP' started by nosauce, Nov 2, 2018.

1. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's the link to the warranty: Risk Free HP Care Pack Rebate

Yes, I bought the laptop from HP.com and the guy from HP Spectre support sold me the warranty over the phone. It says it's a limited time offer and that you have to mail in the rebate form within 90 days of the expiration of the warranty.
    Man, I'm doing HP a service through this thread -- advertising their new laptop, troubleshooting issues, and telling people about the promotion. lol, I feel like HP should be pay me, or give me a rebate on my laptop.

hmscott likes this.
  2. nosauce

Reputations:
    I ended up ordering the CalDigit TS3 Plus from Amazon. It's considered by many to be the best TB3 dock on the market. It has 5xUSB 3.1 Gen1, 2xGen2 ports, and a TB3 port so you can daisy chain with other TB3 devices (I'll be using it to connect my 4K monitor via a TB3 to DP cable). It worked well with my XPS 9550 but I ended up returning it because it didn't provide enough power. It's got other ports including DP1.2. It says it can "Connect up to two 4K@60Hz (4096 x 2160 30-bit color) monitors via DisplayPort and Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C port, OR a Single 5K@60Hz display can be supported via the Thunderbolt 3 port." It doesn't say you can use the USB-C port to connect a 3rd (maybe FHD monitor). So I think you have to use one of the ports from the laptop itself for that 3rd monitor (if it's even possible).
    It provides up to 85W of power which is a little less than the 90W the power adapter provides (for the 8565U version). One of the comments says that it works well with his (older) Spectre x360 15". It charges it, but I'm not sure if it compromises performance.

3. nosauce

Reputations:
    There's no Intel Graphics Control Panel for the integrated GPU (Intel 620) when I right click on my desktop (nothing in the systray or program group). There are no intel programs installed. I have the latest driver from HP support installed. When I try to install the latest driver from Intel for Intel 620 it says that "The computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software." Could this be because the 8565U processor is too new?

I calibrated the monitor and things still look a little "washed out" (unless it's daytime and there's some sun). I'm not sure, but maybe it has something to do with the backlight (white LED). Or maybe the contrast ratio isn't very good. Adjusting the brightness doesn't help. I'm trying to adjust the saturation through the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  4. Twain0

Twain0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all

Might be of interest, some pictures of the inside of the Intel H / Nvidia GTX notebook:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RAM is soldered.

BR
    Twain

alaskajoel and nosauce like this.
  5. nosauce

Reputations:
    Congrats on your new laptop! I didn't realize the RAM was soldered on. Definitely a relevant difference between our models. The heatsink is also one piece instead of 2 and overlaps where the CPU is, probably to dissipate the heat to both heatpipes/fans. My version has one module on the CPU/iGPU and one module on the dGPU.

On your last picture (components labeled 1834), are they both TB3 ports? Mine has 1xTB3 (corner) and 1xUSB-C (side).

I repasted with liquid metal and have been getting pretty good thermals. The GPU maxes out at 70 C. But then again, your GPU is a Ti 1050 max-Q which is like a 80%+ performance boost vs my MX150. I wish mine came with that GPU.

i7-8565U, MX 150 version:
    [​IMG]

6. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, to owners of the new late 2018 15in model, how is the throttling for the cpu/gpu? Does changing to the performance in the thermal profile help with throttling? thanks.

7. nosauce

Reputations:
    I'm not sure how helpful my experience will be if you're interested in the 8750H processor (45W). I have the 8565U processor (15W, configurable TDP of 10 W TDP-down and 25 W TDP-up) and apparently the U processors are designed to throttle a lot based on power consumption.

The non-turbo frequency for the 8565U is 1800 MHz. The turbo frequency is 4100 MHz but when running stress tests it drops down to 2200. I'm pretty sure this isn't thermal throttling because my temps were pretty low. Disabling and Locking the Turbo Power limits using ThrottleStop fixed this for the most part. Now when I run TS Bench 1024M, it runs at the max 4100 @ 40W and then goes down to 3600 @ 30W at around 25% then stays there until the end. This is with the PKG Power setting. IntelBurn Test also goes between 4100 to 3600. Temps max out at around the low 80's C.

I'm using ThrottleStop to undervolt and have repasted with liquid metal.

HP Command center has 3 profiles for me (not sure why I don't get the quiet profile). I tried out all 3 modes and get the same results.

8. Twain0

Twain0 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've two equal TB3 ports on mine.

Will also perform throttling tests asap.

alaskajoel likes this.
  9. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 45W isn't even offered in Canada yet, so couldn't even buy it if I wanted to. Might not even be offered at all considering the intel cpu shortage. thanks for the info, it is helpful, guess it isn't thermal throttling but throttling by HP themselves to reduce the temps and not let the chips cook like on macbooks.

10. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anybody find a way to control the fan manually on the 1050Ti version? Also is the security switch just for the camera(it doesn't affect the microphones? lol)?