Overclocking the NVIDIA 310M under Optimus

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Quatro, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quatro

Quatro Journeyman

Reputations:
    Anyone try successfully to overclock their NVIDIA GF 310M under Optimus?

I have an ASUS U30Jc with the i3-350M (2.26GHz) processor and the NVIDIA GeForce 310M GPU w/ 512MB GDDR3 under Win 7 Pro x64. The standard 3DMark06 score on this stock unit at factory settings is a little over 3700.

With the new Optimus NVIDIA beta drivers 258.69 for the 310M and using NVIDIA's System Tools that allows overclocking in the NV Control Panel, I was able to stably push my 3dMark06 score from 3730 to 4330!

The cooling on the U30JC is amazing. I must have run 3DMk06 over 20 times back-to-back. The bottom of the notebook never got over barely warm, and that was in two areas only (where the product key & serial # label is located (CPU or GPU?) and the one side of the HDD (near the same area of warmth.) The rest of the bottom stayed cool to the touch. I've no idea how ASUS manages this level of cooling on this notebook.

Here's how I did it. I used this simple guide:
    Asus UL 80VT/UL 30VT Overclocking Guide Expert Laptop Review

I downloaded & installed NVIDIA System Tools.

At first, I only had access to the shaders speed. (If you look at GPU-Z on the NVIDIA 310M page, you can see the 3 categories of default clock (GPU core), the memory clock (the VRAM speed), and the shaders speed (no idea what that is. Must control dynamic lighting?).

When I installed the latest NVIDIA Optimus beta drivers 258.69, suddenly I could increase ALL of the speeds.

The 310M stock speeds were:
    Core: 625
    Memory: 790
    Shaders: 1530

Increasing them little by little, I arrived stably at:
    Core:764
    Memory: 921
    Shaders: 1721

That resulted in my 3DMark06 scores jumping from 3730 to 4330. I was impressed.

I saved that speed setting as a profile under NVIDIA Control Panel & then put the speeds back to default (better battery, of course). When I want to play a game, I can reactivate those o'c speeds for better game play!

How about any of you? What's your story? Done any GPU overclocking under Optimus drivers?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. hongkongphooey

hongkongphooey Newbie

Reputations:
    what are your gpu temps before over clocking and after while under load?
    my g210m hits 90+c before it crashes (which it likes to do often, i live in the tropics)

also any good temp monitors that will create a log, so if it crashes i can see max temp?

good to see someone else wants to oc theyr gpu :) my g210 max settings are before it starts to get unstable
    CORE CLOCK – 700
    SHADER CLOCK – 1700
    MEMORY CLOCK – 850

3. Quatro

Quatro Journeyman

Reputations:
    GPU-Z shows that my base GPU temp is 46C while I'm online for the last hour but not watching videos. CPU dual-core temps are 36C+40C right now.

After running 3DMark06, when I come back to the desktop, GPU-z shows my NV 310M running at 65C. HWMonitor shows that my CPU reached a high of 69C+73C. My score was 4330.

Now what should I push further? My temps are still not that hot. And they cool quickly after the benchmarks.

4. ThugHuster

ThugHuster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've considered OC'ing the gpu, but using those drivers caused mine to crash, so I think I'll just play safe and keep them at their defaults. (I have a desktop PC that I use for graphic intensive applications anyways)

5. Quatro

Quatro Journeyman

Reputations:
    What laptop & processor are you using?

There is the 267.21 that is WHQL certified instead of the Beta.

6. p0int

p0int Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quatro were you able to play games for long sessions on your overclocked settings without any crashing or overheating? (Basically i'm just asking if its truly stable)

I am thinking about purchasing the U35JC or U33JC but the only thing leaving doubt in my mind is the performance of the 310M, but if it can be stably overclocked to squeeze out some more frame rates, id be pretty content. The most graphic intense game ill be playing is probably Left4Dead2 and TFT2 which aren't too demanding but I do like playing on high detail without lag or frames dropping too low in the 20s when there is a big zombie horde on my screen.

I wanted the 3820tg /w the HD5650 but it doesn't seem like its going to be coming to the US anytime soon.

7. Quatro

Quatro Journeyman

Reputations:
    Yes, two hours playing ... BUT that's on mu U30JC which has exceptional cooling (and no cooling grill holes on the bottom of the U30Jc). The chassis of the U33 & U35 are built differently so I've no idea what overclocks you'll get. A different design & thickness may result in different heat issues when pushed. I can't say with any experience on the other models.

I think I read somewhere that some were having problems running TF2 under the NV 310M with graphics very high. I don't know. You may need to research it.

The Acer 3820TG never made it to the US? I didn't realize that (I've several on this forum that I've "talked to" who were waiting for its release and I thought it had come out!) What about the HP Envy 14"? Also can be bought w/ the HD5650 which is TWICE the power of the 310M. But it's more pricey than the U35Jc (but not the U33Jc).

If gaming on your laptop is important to you, I'd get something better than the 310M. I play HL2:E2, for example and Halo2, but neither are extreme for the 310M. I can max out the settings. But some games have to be kept in low detail. Look here to see how AnandTech rated the U30Jc's FPS in several newer games.

8. Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy Newbie

Reputations:
    This is the first thing I read when I started to school myself about oc'ing and I just wanted to say thanks. With the newest nVidia driver(s) and GPU tool (NVIDIA System Tools Crashed my PC) I have achieved Incredible speeds
    gpu:760
    Shader: 2300
    memory:1125
    From what other people have posted this is really fast. Also extremely stable and cool. Just got done playing Arkam Asylum for 3 hours and the gpu stayed at 57C and max it was 60C. I tried every gpu overclocker and every single one limited my memory clock to 1030 which I thought was weird. That is except GPU tool which is really cool but in beta at the moment. And yes I do use GPU-Z to confirm my clock speeds. I would love to get you guys thoughts and comments!!!!!

9. r0b0t c0rpse

r0b0t c0rpse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    try evga precision.

i got 735

out of my 210 m

i think i can go higher when i sort out hte drivers. It seems to downclock for no reason. I think it does this when it goes over 70c

10. boriskov

boriskov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.