Overclocking the Asus UL30VT/UL80VT/UL50VT (Beyond Turbo Mode)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by David, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Overclocking the SU7300 on the Asus UL30VT, UL80VT and UL50VT

Notice: I am not responsible for any damages you may cause on your laptop(s). This guide is simply for references only. Any damage to your system is solely your responsibility.

For those power hungry UL30VT, UL80VT and UL50VT owners who wants to squeeze as much as they can from their SU7300 CPUs, this guide will help you to overclock your CPU beyond the Turbo mode setting. With the help of SetFSB, the SU7300 is cable of reaching 1906MHz. Pushing the frequency beyond that will cause instability issues.

Before we start, you'll need to download SetFSB Version 2.2.134.98 available here: http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/download/ver22/setfsb_2_2_134_98.zip

Please follow the steps carefully unless you are familiar with the SetFSB program.

1. Create a folder in any location and label it "SetFSB". I'd recommend putting this folder in a location where it won't be seen, such as your program files folder. Unzip the SetFSB file you downloaded and place its contents into the new folder you have just created.

2. Create a shortcut for the SetFSB .exe file and place it on your desktop. If you wish to run SetFSB and have it overclock your CPU during startup, place your SetFSB .exe shortcut in your startup folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)

3. Right click on the SetFSB shortcut and select properties. Under the Shortcut tab, add " -w04 -s140 -cg[ICS9248BF-96] -u1" (without quotes) to the end of the Target. Your Target should look like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SetFSB\setfsb.exe" -w04 -s140 -cg[ICS9248BF-96] -u1
    What this added string does is it finds your clock generator, overclocks your Bus speed & FSB frequencies, and closes the program after it's done.

Voila! And that's all to it for overclocking the SU7300 on the Asus UL30VT, UL80VT and UL50VT to 1906MHz.

Similarily, you can also create a FSB shortcut to reset your CPU frequency by adding -w04 -s110 -cg[ICS9248BF-96] -u1 to the end of the Target in a new SetFSB .exe shortcut. However there is a slight bug which doesn't allow you to downclock back to 1733MHz. Instead, any downclock from 1906MHz will automatically go to 1560MHz. If you want to reset your CPU back to its original state, all you need to do is restart your system.

Additional notes: Seeing how the UL30VT has a similar/same motherboard ID as the Asus UL50 series, this overclocking method MAY also work for the UL50 series. I do not have a UL50 notebook, so am unable confirm this.

Source: From cfw2214 at mobile01.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. Soulsaber

Soulsaber Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sweet! This brings my UL30A to 1.43 GHz... very interesting!

3. popextra

popextra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You really did this? or its a "April fools" thing?.
    What difference did this overclock bring concerning heat/battery life/gaming performance/fan noise etc. Do you have pics?

4. David

Reputations:
    That's good to know it'll work with the UL30A too :)

I guess my timing isn't the best :p
    This isn't a prank or anything. SetFSB has been known to be a great program for laptop CPU overclocking for a while. There's even a guide for older generation laptops: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=249470

Here's an image as requested:
    [​IMG]

As far as heat is concerned, I haven't noticed much difference. After all, it's only an overclock of less than 200MHz and the voltage wasn't increased.
    I haven't tested the battery life yet, but I'd assume any change is going to be negligible.

5. x4080

x4080 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im using ul30vt black, my clock generator is different than yours, is this normal ?
    mine is ICS9148BF-26

- Can I use your shortcut command to use on mine ?
    - Is the maximum is 1,9GHz ? Can it run above 2Ghz?
    - When Im using RMClock, the lowest VID i got is only 0.9v, do you have similar experience ? (to downclock the CPU to make it cooler) - kinda opposite side

Thanks man keep up the work

6. David

Reputations:
    Hmm.. interesting that the black UL30VT uses a different clock generator than the silver version. How did you identify yours is ICS9148BF-26?

If you're positive about your clock generator, then you should use that instead. Just replace the [ICS9248BF-96] with your [ICS9148BF-26] in the command line.

The maximum frequency I could achieve is 1906MHz. Going any higher made my system downclock to 1560MHz. You could try going higher if you want and it shouldn't make your system crash. However, I'd avoid going to the Customize tab on SetFSB as any setting you make will automatically freeze your laptop.

I've never downclocked below stock settings so I'm not sure about that.

7. x4080

Reputations:
    i just run it and it display that clock generator is displayed. Is that wrong detection?
    So if we do it like this we dont have to restart to make turbo boost right? That is awesome

8. David

Reputations:
    No, SetFSB does not auto detect your clock generator. You have to manually set it.

9. x4080

Reputations:
    Ok I get it, my fault. So the best is 1,9Ghz then. Do you know how to lower the VID ? To get cooler CPU ? (opposite side)

10. jackluo923

jackluo923 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You need to use rmclock for that. The lowest you can go is something like 0.9v i think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.