Overclocking Nvidia gtx 860m 850m 840m 765m etc.

Discussion in 'MSI' started by squarll, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squarll

squarll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello everyone!

I decided to post a small tutorial on how a mobile GPU can be overclocked avoiding 135mhz limitation. I spend a lot of time trying figure out and searching all the web how to push Nvidia GPU to its limits and finally i figured out a solution that i want to share. I tried a lot of methods and experimented with with defferent software trying software modifications. And finally it worked.

First of all i'd like to note that i don't take any resposibility for any kind of damage caused by flashing/modding BIOS or overclocking GPU.

As you know there are 135 mhz limitation for overclocking GPU from NVIDIA, so it's not too much. You can try different software to avoid this limitation, but it's not always working fine. If you have a high end GPU you have usually an external ROM for your video BIOS so you just need to save your VBIOS by using GPUz or another software, edite it with Kepler or Maxwell bios editor and flash it back by using nvidia flashing tool. But if you have low end or mainstream/middle-class GPU you don't have this external VBIOS ROM and your VBIOS is intergrated in your systembios. Well, everything works really easy also in this case too. There are 2 common ways. You can download some modded BIOS from guys who do it on its own or you can modify your BIOS on your own. I think it is always better to do it by yourself. You know at least what you have done and you have done it for yourself and by yourself.

I will describe how i did it for MSI GE60 with gtx 850m. But it works fine also for other notebooks and GPUs starting with Fermi and it will work also for future GPUs.

1. you need MMtool, Maxwell BIOS Tweaker or Kepler BIOS tweaker, afudos(optional), amiBCP(optional).
    2. You must understand there is always some probability that something goes wrong and you can demage your notebook.

Let's start it.
    You need your systembios. You can download the latest version from your manufacture or if you are not sure that you can get the right version, you need to get your BIOS from your own ROM from your laptop. To do it you need afudos and you have to make bootable usb device with DOS. You can google how you can make it. There are a lot of examples.
    Put afudos on your usb, choose in BIOS lagecy mode and load DOS from you usb device. Type in command line "afudos mybios.rom /O" .(afudos= name of afudos programm, mybios.rom= name for your saved BIOS, /O= command for afudos to save your bios) Than you will get your BIOS to your usb with name mybios.rom.

So you got your BIOS. Now start windows and start mmtool and open your BIOS file.

a.jpg

Now select extract(check link present) and select link ID for your VBIOS(there are always different names, so you need to figure out what is your vbios, try first "*.fd" links). Just save one by one and try to open with Kepler BIOS tweaker until it works.

b.jpg

So you have found your VBIOS and saved it as a file. Now you need Kepler or Maxwell tweaker. Just open your VBIOS with it.

c.jpg
    11212.JPG

Well, now you are almost ready. Now select boost entry you would like to have. If your want you can play with voltage settings, power table or other features in the next sections, do not set it to high or too low. Now save the file.

Now you have to replace your old VBIOS with the modded version. Don't forget to make a copy of your origninal BIOS file without modifications for some case. Open mmtool, select your BIOS file, go to the section replace and select your moddified VBIOS and replace it. So your are ready now.

Now you can flash it. To do it you can select BIOS update from your BIOS or use afudos v2.37(don't use newer versions, they won't work with modded BIOS) to flash your BIOS under DOS. (Type the command in the command line "afudos mybios.rom /P /B /N ") Wait until it is done, don't forget to plug in your batterie! You are done. If everything is ok your will be able to boot your system and enjoy higher clocks, if not i hope you still have your warrenty and do not tell you tried to update your BIOS.

If you have a Radeon GPU it is almost the same. You just need to use Radeon BIOS Editor.

You can also unlock your BIOS settings which are usually hidden from user. To do this you need amibcp for AMI BIOS, depends on your laptop model. Just open your BIOS file with it and set all options your would like to get access to to user, they are set to default by deafault. You really need search every option you want very carefully and set them all to user, save changes and flash you BIOS file. Your are done again. Now enjoy!
    d.jpg
    e.jpg

If you have overheating issues you can try to put 2-3mm thick ALU plate on your heatpipes, the large the better, depending on your notebook design. It might give up to 20% better cooling. Just use thermal grease between ALU plate and heatpipes and a bit of heatsink plaster to make it stable on heatpipes. Contact me if you have any quastions.

Files you need: http://turbobit.net/5pelyu5q36z8.html

new http://turbobit.net/3n714fb4sddd.html (psw = filename W/O extension)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. lifestrk

lifestrk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    have u tried it with ur 850M equipped GE60?
    how are the temps?

3. squarll

squarll Notebook Guru

Reputations:

yes ge60. temperatures are ok. The main problem is the cpu temperature. It makes the GPU hot, because of the heatsink design. The GPU is about 70 C under load even overclocked. But if you have full cpu load the heat from cpu gets to the gpu chip over heatpipes and it gets about 90 C.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  4. Valour549

Valour549 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Using modded BIOS will void ur warranty wouldn't it?

5. squarll

squarll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It depends on company's policy. Actually any modification could be seen as a reason for rejection of warrenty claims. The point is that vbios modification can't be seen if you are not searching for it.

6. booooooooooo

booooooooooo Newbie

Reputations:
    your explanation is so bad, can you make a tutorial whith a video?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  7. pipyakas

pipyakas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i made the changes and replaced it into the bios, but when i flashed it the clock is still the same after reboot. there is no oc :/

8. pepone1234

pepone1234 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

I have followed your steps (at least I didn't have any problem to understand them) but I have a question. I have another ge60 with 850m as you. How did you flash the modded bios? With the option in the bios to update itself or with the program you write about and the command line?

I have done all the steps but I am a bit scared about that last step (flashing the modded bios) hahaha

9. squarll

squarll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you can't follow the explanation it would be better if you don't try it.

10. squarll

squarll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To flash modded bios you must use afudos 2.38 not higher by using this line: AFUDOS biosname /P /B /N /R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.