Overclocking 7700HQ and GTX1070

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Pedro69, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have a MSI GT72VR-7RE, and i need know if there is any possibility to do overclock the cpu and gpu of my pc.

Even if not possible to oc the cpu, is possible activate all the 4 cores at 3.8Ghz?
    Another thing that is possible is overclocking the gpu with MSI AfterBurner through the Graphic(Curve between frequency and voltage) but i not understand anything of that curve...also i dont know what values i can overclock the gpu even the core clock or memory clock.

Please any help will be grateful, thanks.

@Mr. Fox

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    7700HQ is hard-locked. Nothing you can do there AFAIK.

Pedro69 likes this.
  3. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response, and about the gpu?

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    There's a little room for you to overclock. Your GPU is Nvidia GTX 1070, right?

Pedro69 likes this.
  5. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Hi Kevin@GenTechPC

Yes, the problem is how to start test some clocks to understand how much i can go and at minimal voltage possible.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It is not difficult at all, but if you have never done it before it is good to know where to start. There is a lot of stuff in this community, other communities and YouTube. Finding good information is work, too.

Maybe this will help. Start with the first video by JayzTwoCents.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+overclock+gpu+with+msi+afterburner

The thing you need to understand about Pascal GPUs is they begin to "throttle" around 45-50°C and unless you keep them abnormally cold the overclocking gradually undoes itself as the temperatures go up. We are not talking about overheating, just lousy product engineering. You need to know that because the clock speed you set the core to run at might not be what it actually does once the GPU boosts into 3D clock mode for a few minutes. It will be something less than what you set as soon as the GPU reaches normal operating temperature.

slimmolG, Pedro69 and tiliarou like this.
  7. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Till now i have a max voltage of 0.8620V with a limit of 1900Mhz on curve graph of MSI AfterBurner.

From what i read is that i cant go above 2.2GHz because the max limit(that i not remember now the value) of voltage.

My question is, should i increase the voltage to get at least 2GHz of core clock and clock memory? And if i only edit the curve this also edit the memory clock?

Many thanks for the response Mr. Fox

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You cannot increase voltage or power limits with stock notebook vBIOS. All you can do is adjust clocks and manipulate the voltage curve within the limits. With Pascal, this applies to most desktop GPUs as well. And, with Pascal you cannot apply a modded vBIOS except with a hardware programmer.

Pedro69 likes this.
  9. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Yes is that, i put a limit of 0.8620V max, at least when im playing gpu-z show this max value.

But for example, im able to put on curve 0.8620/2000 ? Will be the system stable? And after this, should add memory clock?

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You will have to experiment to find what is stable. Yes, overclock the memory as well. Each GPU will have some variance based on its bin quality and what its vBIOS behavior allows. For overclocking (which I do a lot of) the voltage curve thing is absolutely worthless. No need to use it. It will provide no benefit for overclocking. It primarily useful for underclocking and undervolting machines that have poor cooling systems and struggle with overheating at stock clocks.

Look at overclocked benchmarks run by others with your same machine. You should be able to be close to their levels of overclocking or even higher if they are conservative. If you take the overclock too far the machine will be unstable. Start small and gradually work your way up until it becomes unstable or getting too hot, then back down to the highest stable overclock. Do this with core or memory first. Once you figure out the maximum stable overclock on one, then repeat with the other.

You will have to play with the offset and use GPU-Z to find out how much the offset increases the core and memory clocks. You can click on the little question mark on the GPU-Z Graphics Card tab and open a small rendering window to load the GPU, then click over to the Sensors tab to observe the actual clock speeds. Like this...

upload_2017-12-6_16-58-15.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Pedro69 and Vistar Shook like this.