Overall Best Anti-Virus Security Suite Software? (small footprint, light usage, complete internet security suite)

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by requiem86, Jan 25, 2012.

1. requiem86

requiem86 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

I currently have ESET Smart Security 4, but is about to expire in 2 weeks...should I renew? or is there something better now?

I want a complete internet security suite software that will also provide additional protection like firewall. It also has to have a very small footprint (ie: low memory usage). Keep top notch performance is KEY for me..no slow downs. I would rather give up a little security protection for better overall performance. I know ESET NOD 32 was the best back in the day for gamers..is that still true? Thought I check before I renew.

What you guys recommend? BitDefender? MSE? Webroot? Norton?

Currently thinking about ESET or Webroot....

2. Abidderman

Abidderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MSE ftw. And add Malwarebytes.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In terms of firewall, you don't need anything else apart from the one coming with Windows Vista or 7.
    As for an AV... I'd rather get a free one if I was in your position (no paying for it):
    Avira, Avast, MSE or Panda

You can also install Malwarebytes (free) and keep it as an on-demand scanner just in case.

No need for Internet security suites... if you ask me, they are overrated.

4. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    MSE is only an AV, not a full suite.
    I can recommend Norton/NIS but you're best of trying a suite yourself before purchasing it. They usually all offer 30-day trial periods.
    You can also check the most recent performance test for security suites from AV-Comparatives from Aug. 2011 link.
    They haven't tested 'gaming performance' specifically.
    Free security software FTW though. I'd recommend a free AV and f.i. Sandboxie for securing internet facing apps.

edit; Btw, here is a nice 1-year Sandboxie license giveaway; link

5. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Along with some people here I too can recommend MSE (along with Windows Firewall), in fact I've migrated a lot of my machines from ESET NOD32 to MSE given its small memory footprint, decent protection and best of all it's free to use on many machines as you like.

6. HCW

HCW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Kaspersky 2012 for the win

7. dsottum

dsottum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you insist on a "full suite" and you also insist on paying for it, Kaspersky Internet Security is very low system usage and you can get it on amazon for ~$20-30 w/the 12 month license for up to 3 or 5 computers (I can't remember). I just switched over to Panda on my gaming laptop and desktop, MSE on my wife's netbook, and malwarebytes for all of our computers. Both Malwarebytes and Panda come highly recommended on this forum based on protection and low system resource usage (as far as the free avenues of protection).

I'm showing 1,136K memory usage for Panda Cloud Antiviruus and 3,888K memory usage for Visicom Media Anti-phishing Domain Advisor (another process of Panda), then I just use Malwarebytes for an on-demand spyware scanner.

8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    +1. MSE's convenience has me using it on all my computers instead of some suites that I do like more, such as Norton Internet Security and Eset Smart Security. With these, at least, you can't really go wrong.

9. NewSky171

NewSky171 Newbie

Reputations:
    I was using Eset Smart Security for 3 years but after reading some reviews that its firewall sucks, I ditched it and bought Kaspersky Internet Security! Still very light on resources and offers way better security!

10. chukwe

chukwe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I currently used ESET Internet security suite and have been attacked 3 times this year by virus\malware by visiting unsuspected website. The virus\malware took over my laptop and wanted me to visit a site to pay for something before it'll clear.

On each occasion, ESET detected something but was powerless to block it. I used my skills to get out of the loop.

First question, is this a virus or malware? And what Anti-virus and internet security should I get to replace ESET?