Over Powered 15-LP2 (TONGFANG GK5CN6Z) benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by custom90gt, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey custom90gt - see, people are stripping the heat sink screws on this laptop left and right... I'd like to re-paste my heat sink, but I want to make for damn sure that I'm not gonna chew up the heads of the screws or bugger the threads in the process. Is that set of Wera screwdrivers you have really decent? I mean, if I buy a set, I want to be sure that if I use them on this laptop, they'll work just fine, every time on these screws (provided I use the right size screwdriver(s) and follow your advice to not really sh*t house them...just apply even, steady pressure) In other words, they have to work with these screws, every time - like they're supposed to.

Thanks in advance!

- Trev

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I really like them, but then again I've had no issue opening hundreds of laptops and working on them with my old Craftsman screwdrivers that I've had for 20 years. The trick is to be sure that you are using the proper sized bit and it's a decent screwdriver (not soft metal). I purchased the Wera because it was recommended by another tech on these forums and I've been really happy with them. I've been fortunate to only strip a couple of screws out of the thousands that I've undone over the years, probably a function of taking my time and paying attention to what is happening. Please note that the paste in the OP laptop is actually pretty decent though, I only had a couple C drop on mine...

toughasnails and Trevayne10 like this.
  3. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Noted. I was debating repasting the i7-8750H and the GTX-1060 GPU with Grizzly Kryonaut, but per your recommendation I'm just gonna leave 'em be. The GPU very rarely goes above 66°C anyway.

Whenever I game or benchmark, I always turn the "Fan Boost" on, but dayamn, it nevertheless *still* gets uncomfortably hot to the touch along the metal strip above the keyboard...especially right above the F10 - F12 keys, and the F4 - F6 keys to a lesser degree.

Thanks again for the quick follow-up, custom90 -

-Trev

custom90gt likes this.
  4. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most laptops get uncomfortably hot above the F keys being how the heat pipes sit directly below that location.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Trevayne10 likes this.
  5. Phoboy604

Phoboy604 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How are you guys so lucky to get a unit that doesn't go over 90 degrees? Mine goes over when playing overwatch! Apex Legends, Anthem. All of them cook my CPU even though I run -0.140v in throttle stop. I stripped a screw. Any tips on how to remove it?

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    How stripped is it? If it's not too bad than the proper sized screwdriver may be able to remove it. If not you may need a stripped screw removal bit. You can post pictures here and maybe we can better direct you.

toughasnails likes this.
  7. Phoboy604

Phoboy604 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yes sadly you do. That screw could go either way. A proper bit may be able to unscrew it, buy you may also need an easy out or something similar. I wouldn't mess with it until you have a lot of time and the proper tools...

toughasnails and katalin_2003 like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And he need new screws. No point in put them back afterwards.

custom90gt likes this.
  10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    True, I should have mentioned that along with proper tools... Sometimes you think you don't have to mention the obvious, but you're absolutely correct.