Over 20 Million Users Installed Malicious Ad Blockers From Chrome Store

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Dr. AMK, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm just thankful I have had no negative impacts to my secure and sensitive information to date.

I will definitely be more scrutinizing from here on out. It was just that **** brand loyalty and age that stuck with me from a long time ago that kept me from questioning something with the exact opposite purpose and intent in its funtionality.

I try out lots of extensions. Some I remove completely, while others I just turn off in case I want to use them again later. Thankfully Chrome has built in safeguards to disable these malicious extensions outright once they're known to be malicious.

I used to only keep a few essential extensions active due to RAM limitations on my old laptop, but now that I've got 16GB on my new laptop I have been leaving more extensions enabled lately. Go figure. Smh.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Being more security / privacy proactive isn't a luxury any longer, we need to make it part of our routine, including making a sweep through all of our software regularly for updates, patches, and compromises.

Maleko48 likes this.