**OT - Justices extend gun owner rights nationwide - OT **

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by TopCop1988, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stiffnecked

stiffnecked Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not quite right. Criminals don't always use handguns. Many of them are very opportunistic. Knives, axes, baseball bats, coffee pot. I've seen them all used as weapons. If you wanna take on a guy charging you with a baseball bat in one hand and a knife in the other while you use your coffee pot to defend yourself then go right ahead.

The right to keep and own firearms goes much past the premise of self defense. I give just as much weight to the rights of freedom and liberty from a tyrannical government.

2. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    You must understand, that if the handgun wasn't invented when it was.... It would have been invented later on.

Ever since projectiles have been propelled at things with more force than an arm throwing it, people have thought of ways to make it smaller and/or more precise. The handgun was bound to happen sooner or later, just as rifles and shotguns were bound to happen, just as bows and arrows happened, etc, etc.

No matter what tools we have in the present time, there will always be people figuring out a way to steal from you, and there will always be people willing/wanting to hurt you. They will find a way regardless if they have handguns or not.

3. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is a video that has been used at the police academy of a certain state that shows me getting Pepper Sprayed with Police Strength OC and then shows me running three miles minutes later. I have been sprayed many times and all it did was tick me off. I am certainly not alone in my immunity to the stuff, ask your local police.

With all due respect, your opinion of these matters is pretty strong for someone of your obviously limited experience.

4. stiffnecked

stiffnecked Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Been pepper sprayed numerous times. I must admit the burn was bad, the snot flowed like crazy from my nose and I couldn't see really well but it wouldn't have stopped me from doing just about whatever I wanted.

5. Old Git

Old Git Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just on a different tack - and because I love a good debate :p

The massive April 20th Gulf of Mexico oil spill is reported to have cost BP, the British energy giant, $3.12 billion to date - source: Daily Telegraph July 6th, 2010 by Kate Poole

In 1992, the estimated costs of gunshot wounds to the US economy were $126 billion, or $154,000 per gunshot survivor, or $495 per capita. Source : Costs of gunshot and cut/stab wounds in the United States, with some Canadian comparisons, Miller TR, Cohen MA. 1997

Discuss.

6. gmgfarrand

gmgfarrand Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Our local PD really likes the new TASER guns, if they weren't so damn expensive... About $900 each, which is a REALLY nice handgun with extras.

7. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well there is an old saying that figures don't lie, but liars sure know how to figure. These figures may be true. But most of the malarkey coming out of the anti-gun camps is based on every firearm injury that happens, be it a criminal wounded by police, gang on gang violence, or acts of war. I am perfectly happy to pay for most of those injuries.

They even count suicides under people killed with handguns, as if when someone sincerely wants to end their life, they will not find a way to do so.

However, having been shot in the line of duty myself, I know I did not see $154,000 spent on me, or given to me!!!! ;)

Always a pleasure!

8. gmgfarrand

gmgfarrand Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you at least get to keep the bullet? ;)

9. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    "There are three types of liars: Liars, Damn Liars, and Statisticians"
    --Mark Twain, crediting Benjamin Disraeli

"In earlier times, they had no statistics, and so they had to fall back on lies."
    -- Stephen Leacock

"Statistics is the art of never having to say you're wrong."
    - C.J.Bradfield
    As well as including "children" of up to 24 years of age!
    Me neither! :(
    Always interesting. ;)

10. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nah, evidence. But it was a "nice try" and I wrote that on my plate carrier which I got to keep. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.