OS crashed amid BIOS update, laptop wont boot

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by chickenlover, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    No, Insyde PHY has a hard coded reset option that flashes from whereever it can find a BIOS/UEFI ROM with the mobo's ID/model. It's not well documented, for obvious reasons of security... (not to mention, it requires a bit of dissambly - which while nearly ALL bios/UEFI implementations are indeed NAND flash today, their RTC can be cleared by disconnecting the battery, which normally also triggers an action to clear all BIOS/UEFI settings to default).

2. electronicsguy

electronicsguy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But are you saying even the basic pre-boot up (say initializaing the usb controller, etc. - required things on the motherboard) are also hard-coded? If yes, ok then it should work in theory. If no, I dont understand why it should be able to bring up these basic components at all.

3. chickenlover

chickenlover Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey pyr0, thanks a lot for the instructions but unfortunately it didn't work. There is no activity at all on the pendrive, and I noticed no change in the startup: basically after pressing the power button, the fan activates for 1 second, and the hd led turns on and then starts blinking.
    Well, it's possible that my bios is totally fubar.

On the other hand, if the recovery procedure is mobo dependent, it could be that this particular Bios you pointed me to is not the right one. I know, it's the one the site suggests to update, but I just saw it says:
    "This BIOS version should only be installed on a system with an Intel Pentium U5400 Processor."

The dead laptop has a i5 U430 processor, and maybe also a different mobo?
    Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find the original bios my laptop came with on the vaio support website, not even in the "preinstalled" section. If you know some bios repository would be great!

4. pyr0

pyr0 100% laptop dynamite

Reputations:
    We are not giving up so easily. You have nothing to lose anyways. As I mentioned, I don't have experience with the VPC-Y at all. I can't disassemble the right keys in the restore routine without knowing the keyboard pinout. Lets try the following. Replace the keys in the manual posted earlier with FN + ESC.

Would be great if you could get hold of the BIOS you flashed, I am pretty sure this is the same I provided. Perhaps you can take out the HDD? Even better if you have a friend with a similar, working Y or get someone here in the forum to dump his BIOS. That would have been a real mess if Sony provides an incompatible upgrade that bricks a laptop through Vaio Care.

5. chickenlover

chickenlover Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    IT'S ALIVE. Yeeehaaw!!! that did the trick :D it was the key combo indeed. The startup was already different, no HD led this time-- but still totally dead for some seconds, until the pendrive started showing some activity. Could not believe it!

pyr0 THANKS man, (and also jeremyshaw)
    I owe you one big beer.

6. pyr0

Reputations:
    Awesome, glad it worked for you. I am happy. PM me where you live, perhaps its just around the corner :p

7. ngvuanh

ngvuanh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Congrat,
    You guys should go to Oktoberfest.

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    So, the hotkey to trigger Boot Block BIOS recovery on Sony VAIO is Fn+Esc keys. Acer notebook also use the same hotkey. I'm glad to found this post. For several month now I'm trying to find a correct recovery procedure for Sony VAIO.

9. pyr0

Reputations:
    Not all VAIOs do work with the recovery method as Sony did not implement recovery procedures in all their BIOSes. We need to check each case where it works. If there is interest, I can make a list.

The hotkey combinations I know for Insyde BIOS are:

Windows + B
    Windows + F
    FN + ESC

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I have, sort of, a list of hotkeys in my thread (link in my signature) including several BIOS recovery procedure. I only don't have hotkey use in Sony though. Manufacturer tend to change the hotkey to their preference. For example, Acer use Fn+Esc keys regardless the BIOS is Phoenix or Insyde on all of their notebooks. Asus use Ctrl+Home keys but they use AMI BIOS. Asus BIOS recovery procedure exactly the same procedure use on Sony except it have graphical BIOS recovery.

It would be great if we somehow can extract this information (especially the hotkey) from the BIOS image.