Origin EON-15S/Clevo P150EM GPU Upgrade - 675MX to 970M

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LeonVolta, Nov 21, 2020.

1. LeonVolta

LeonVolta Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

The 675MX in my 4-5 year old Origin EON-15S has finally died and I'm looking to resurrect the laptop without constant BSOD unless the card is disabled.

I've been doing my research over the past few weeks and have found that the most recommended "ease of install" card with the Clevo P150EM (which I believe is what the EON-15S is as a base) is a 970M. The thing is, I'm seeing mixed results about BIOS upgrade requirements, driver issues, and hardware compatibility with the stock cooling solution.

I'm hoping someone can give me a little guidance, and direct me as to whether I'd need a Prema BIOS (and where I can find it since I've seen Prema has pulled public access down due to people passing off Prema's work as their own) or can run stock without any issues. I'm looking at getting the card from AliExpress, if that's useful as I'm not sure of anywhere better.

Happy to provide more info if I've missed something.

Thanks.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    @Meaker@Sager might be able to provide some additional info but im not sure if he/she was as active then compared to now

LeonVolta likes this.
  3. LeonVolta

LeonVolta Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply TheReciever, hopefully s/he's still around (or another helpful expect!). I know it's an older model laptop but just seems like a waste to toss the thing without making an informed attempt at repairs.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    From what I have seen as long as you are on the latest normal BIOS is should be able to run the card, just there are a lot of different cards out there.

5. LeonVolta

LeonVolta Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply! I've checked my BIOS and it's listed as follows:

BIOS Revision: 1.00.10TOPC
    KBC/EC Firmware Revision: 1.00.09

As I mentioned in the title the laptop is from Origin PC (I'm guessing that's why the OPC at the end). I've reached out to them before before the computer went out of warranty and they've told me there's no updated BIOS for the system. They haven't been replying to any emails lately as I was hoping they'd be able to assist with a GPU Upgrade.

To your knowledge, is there a more recent BIOS which would be safe to install? Clevo's website directly didn't list any that I saw.

[​IMG]

6. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is nothing to gain from flashing the bios.

For a cheap decent card, there are Quadro P4000 on ebay for $200 which are compatible. I tried one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-Qua...522478?hash=item5da29352ae:g:juwAAOSwOWBe0C2X

These cards are as fast as a desktop 980, so they are much faster than a 970m and run very cool. The vbios does not allow for any overclocking though. All you need to do to get it to run is .inf mod the driver.

7. LeonVolta

LeonVolta Newbie

Reputations:
    Damn, for a moment there I was very excited, but sadly I'm in Australia and none of the reasonably priced P4000s ship to us from Ebay and AliExpress doesn't seem to have any which is weird. The only ones that do cost $500+. If this was my only computer I'd probably spend that but I just use the EON for gaming when I can't use my Desktop so $200-250 is my price point right now.

I will definitely keep my eye out though because that seems like an awesome idea, if I'm lucky maybe I'll find one locally.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Any chance of a friend who can ship it over?

9. LeonVolta

LeonVolta Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately not at the moment. With not many options and having been offered a good deal on a new card I've opted to pick up a 970M which was 20% off, so I'm hoping I can fit it in easy enough without any changes to BIOS. If not I suppose I'll see what I can do about getting Prema V2, or an actual up to date SAGER/CLEVO BIOS for my machine.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Let us know how you get on.