1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Origin (EA) looks to be scanning your privacy...

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by DownyTif, Oct 29, 2011.

1. DownyTif

DownyTif Notebook Consultant

Hello all,

Every gamer (well almost) have heard about the EULA problems of EA's Origin. Well, it turns out being far more disturbing. Germany is currently exposing that Origin is scanning your personal files (tax reports, phone history, etc). I just wanted to warn you fellow gamers.

Here is a link that contains a great summary:
    http://www.overclock.net/video-game-news/1155275-various-battlefield-3-outrage-germany.html

A link showing that Origin starts scanning your PC even before you accept the EULA:
    Origin verstößt klar gegen deutsches Recht? - YouTube

Keep an eye on this!

2. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Another reason to add to my list of why I refuse to use Origin.

3. belk

belk Notebook Enthusiast

before you even accept??

wait I hardly have any personal information on my gaming pc

4. DownyTif

Yeah... I had to install it to retrieve my free copy of ME2 (giving away because I bought DA2)... I wasn't sure at all... but since it was the only way...

I can't tell you how quick I uninstalled it just after. But now I discovered those sites and looks like Origin did have a lot of time to gather information dammit.

5. roliath

roliath Notebook Consultant

more origin nonsense...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DownyTif

Some people are claiming that everything transmitted from Origin is encrypted, which doesn't allow people to really know what was transmitted.

I cannot confirm, since I don't want to install Origin :)

EDIT: and to my knowledge, the author of the quote above is wrong about Steam. To my knowledge again, Steam checks your installed software, just like when you click on "Uninstall Program" in Windows. This is different than scanning a PC.

7. XX55XX

XX55XX Notebook Evangelist

Pshaw. People said the same thing about Steam back when it was required for their Half-Life 2 installs. Look at the praise Steam gets now.

EA has no interest in your personal information, and should anyone technically savvy enough discover that they are stealing personal information, then we should initiate a class-action lawsuit. But I see no evidence that Origin is necessarily more evil than the other software you install on your computer.

8. DownyTif

We will know soon enough. According to the first link in my OP, looks like the news is on the radio, in the newspaper and on the website (top article) of the most important information source of Germany.

I'm just stating what I read in the link.

9. roliath

i can claim anything without providing facts, people berate origin just because they love valve. origin is fine and works great.

10. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Ignorant people should not have access to the internet.

11. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

12. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Why does Origin need to know what games I have installed so they can register them?
    I do not want nor need that extra "feature"

13. DownyTif

well... you would feel alone!

14. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

No, I would imagine that there are enough intelligent people on the internet to keep me company...actually, you're right, the internet would be a lonely place.

15. DownyTif

I'm curious to see your standards defining "Intelligence". Who exactly are you targeting with such constructive comments?

But anyway, since it's out of topic, maybe you can explain me this in PM?

16. nikolai090

nikolai090 Notebook Evangelist

That extra feature of registering games is not true BTW. I had BFBC2 installed and it do anything. :p

17. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

i have installed Origin in a sandbox, using Sandboxie. its access to my data is completely restricted, but it's working fine. i'm playing FIFA 12 without any problems.

18. roliath

oh get real, its shocking to me just how whiney pc gamers are.

tons of software you have installed probably does a ton of edited you don't want it to.

19. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

20. roliath

Are you familiar with how process monitor works? or other logging programs?
    Have you ever ran any other programs through procmon or similar. You'd be surprised at the results. This isn't new, TONS of software exhibits the same behavior.

Valve is god among pc gamers, I don't hate origin nor steam; but I do get sick of seeing ridiculous assumptions that origin is turning your pc into a bomb and stealing your social when it CLEARLY isn't doing anything malicious.

this statement is extremely true, and I give most pc gamers the benefit of the doubt that they would know this. however looks like i've been wrong on this end. Origin bashing is the flavor of the month. I get it, but its much easier to bash big bad ea. uninformed masses. I should probably stay off the forums, since like I said tons of uninformed masses spreading misinformation.