Origin (EA) looks to be scanning your privacy...

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by DownyTif, Oct 29, 2011.

1. DownyTif

DownyTif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all,

Every gamer (well almost) have heard about the EULA problems of EA's Origin. Well, it turns out being far more disturbing. Germany is currently exposing that Origin is scanning your personal files (tax reports, phone history, etc). I just wanted to warn you fellow gamers.

Here is a link that contains a great summary:
    http://www.overclock.net/video-game-news/1155275-various-battlefield-3-outrage-germany.html

A link showing that Origin starts scanning your PC even before you accept the EULA:
    Origin verstößt klar gegen deutsches Recht? - YouTube

Keep an eye on this!

2. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Another reason to add to my list of why I refuse to use Origin.

3. belk

belk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    before you even accept??

wait I hardly have any personal information on my gaming pc

4. DownyTif

Reputations:
    Yeah... I had to install it to retrieve my free copy of ME2 (giving away because I bought DA2)... I wasn't sure at all... but since it was the only way...

I can't tell you how quick I uninstalled it just after. But now I discovered those sites and looks like Origin did have a lot of time to gather information dammit.

5. roliath

roliath Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    more origin nonsense...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DownyTif

Reputations:
    Some people are claiming that everything transmitted from Origin is encrypted, which doesn't allow people to really know what was transmitted.

I cannot confirm, since I don't want to install Origin :)

EDIT: and to my knowledge, the author of the quote above is wrong about Steam. To my knowledge again, Steam checks your installed software, just like when you click on "Uninstall Program" in Windows. This is different than scanning a PC.

7. XX55XX

XX55XX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pshaw. People said the same thing about Steam back when it was required for their Half-Life 2 installs. Look at the praise Steam gets now.

EA has no interest in your personal information, and should anyone technically savvy enough discover that they are stealing personal information, then we should initiate a class-action lawsuit. But I see no evidence that Origin is necessarily more evil than the other software you install on your computer.

8. DownyTif

Reputations:
    We will know soon enough. According to the first link in my OP, looks like the news is on the radio, in the newspaper and on the website (top article) of the most important information source of Germany.

I'm just stating what I read in the link.

9. roliath

roliath Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i can claim anything without providing facts, people berate origin just because they love valve. origin is fine and works great.

10. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    Ignorant people should not have access to the internet.