Ordering new AW17: Do we still have any Dell / AW reps in the forums?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Devianti, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For someone who is done you sure act like you aren't.
    I know some people like to make a fool out of themselves but this is almost masochistic.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Sure thing bud, you do you, Ill worry about my own actions lol

Papusan likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    I find it hard to believe that anyone would take you serious.

4. Devianti

Devianti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt Yeah I think it's the best I'm going to get for Adobe RGB in my price range that also has a fast refresh. Perhaps I'll get an external at some point if a laptop that ticks all my main requirements doesn't surface.

As for temps, I'm hoping the repaste and the ventilation mod that HiDevolution offer will do the trick. Quite likely to pull the trigger on this laptop, so if I do I'll be sure to post that review! And thanks for the benchmark info!

@Shark00n Thanks man!

5. Devianti

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt so I find myself stuck between one of two choices... argh!

http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-gl702vs-rs71.html

and

http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-gl702vi-wb74.html

Typical for me. But as I noticed I could get a 1080 for a mere fraction more (literally 100 bucks) I had to look it up.

First option pros:

1) Quieter
    2) Few hundred bucks cheaper

First option cons:

1) It's silver haha (not a deal breaker, but y'know)

Second option pros:

1) It has a 1080 as opposed to 1070 (but has Asus crippled it with their thermal management?)
    2) It's black and has RGB keyboard lighting (also not a dealbreaker!)

Second option cons:

1) From what I gather louder cooling at load. But the repaste and mod to bottom chassis ventilation should help.
    2) Increased size but who cares (height approx 1cm greater)

I made some changes to SSDs and other stuff, but it's not consequential. Only important thing is the repasting and ventilation mods.

Am I overthinking this? :S

EDIT: Not too concerned about the lack of thunderbolt on the GL702VI unless I'm missing something here...

Think it's almost time to bite the bullet :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    According to notebookreview the Cooling of the GL702vi seems better than the other. The GPU is suprisingly cool and the GPU doesn't seem to heat the CPU up all to much. It isn't entirely unified heatpipes but more like a shared heatpipe/block system. Also the cooling seems rather loud on load. 52dB is quite a bit.

Color coverage seems decent and brightness is rather high.Blacks are great.

Speakers are utter crap.

Batterylife is bad, but then again it's a DTR so it's kinda given.

Overall it seems better than the 1070 version in many ways, but again, I have no experience with the newer ASUS notebooks and only had problems with previous versions.

Note: The Asus GTX 1080 seems to be pretty nerfed. The VI version only scores about 19K points in firestrike, while the Asus G710VIK scores with the same card 23K points. The GTX 1070 on the Asus VS scores around 17K.

So there is that.

GTX 1070 VS: 100%
    GTX 1080 VI: 111.5%
    GTX 1080 VIK: 130%

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Devianti likes this.
  7. Devianti

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm thinking pretty much the same. Slightly better performance with the VI... Just wondering about the nerfed 1080 and if a repaste will allow it to perform better or if any tweaking is locked away out of my reach.

The struggle is real man! Either way, I'll order one of the two tomorrow. Asus is totally uncharted territory for me.

8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Pretty sure TDP is limited as the temps seem rather good. So no repaste will fix the performance nerf.

9. Devianti

Reputations:
    Aww darn it. Talk about rock and a hard place! I guess the 1070 with the repaste is the better bet. Trying to see if the TDP is limited on that model, if not then the repasted 1070 will probably equal the limited 1080, perhaps even beat it in places.

10. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    If you're in for it, you can get an SPI programmer and set the TDP limit on 200W, then it should perform normally. However I don't know if the cooling will be haooy about it, but some tweaking in regards of the throttlelimit and maybe add a couple of Watts extra, might give you decent enough performance.

11. Devianti

Reputations:
    Seems like too much of a gamble for me. Call me crazy, but I've made my last switch-up hehe... Here's the final call:

http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-gl503vs-dh74.html

1070 on a smaller 15.6" display, similar price as the 1080, I get the black colour, and the 144hz IPS screen has 73% Adobe RGB which is pretty neat! By the looks of it the 1070 isn't nerfed, so with the repasting of everything I hope I can squeeze more out of it. That said it seems to run cool even under load - just pretty noisy fans ~52-54dB. Hopefully the repasting might reduce some of that too, but in the end, headphones. :)

I have zero experience with Asus too, so here goes nothin'! Thanks for the moral support danish haha :)