Ordering new AW17: Do we still have any Dell / AW reps in the forums?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Devianti, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Resolution means nothing especially when there are UHD options out there. You don't turn optimus on by going to the bios.

You press a button that triggers the mux switch....or if it's without, then it's automaticly on. Don't know where you got the BIOS part from.

Can you tell me what game you're playing? maybe upload a youtube video or screen. I'd be interested.

Well that might be the thing, most on this forum live in the US and have terrible experience, maybe the portugese divsion knows whats up.

2. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, answer to the thread question is: NO...

3. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I disagree. QHD is the sweetspot right now IMO for a 17.3" laptop. Specially a gaming one paired with 120Hz refresh rate and a 1070 or 1080 to match.
    The 4Ks look gorgeous. But are not 120Hz. Gaming at 60Hz is so 2012 :p And I'm not the only one thinking that
    The AW, and others, have the QHD TN and a 4K IPS option available. One's great for gaming, the other's great for media. Both are pretty good at the other stuff but there's definitely a trade-off.

I thought you could enable it or not thru BIOS. But optimus is it's own thing, lots of people have issues with it. The 17 R4 has no optimus and the gpu is directly connected to the screen. To make up for it in battery time they put a huge 99Wh unit inside. It's a brute force aproach but I dig it

I play lots of games: PUBG, BF1, Fortnite, GTA, etc... temps are good on all of them. It handles hours of BF1 on ultra pretty nicely.
    I'll take some screenshots next time.

It's definitely not portuguese dell doing something right. We have Dell but we don't have Alienware here, I bought mine in another country.
    When I first called them up asking for support (first unit had a warped heatsink) they were kinda baffled with the request. They took a while to get things going and I needed to wait on an ownership transfer from Dells website updating my address.
    After this they stocked up and were pretty fast. The technician was cool (subcontract, not dell) but I was definitely more comfortable working with the machine than him, so I did all the replacing.
    I guess we just hear less horror stories from Dell europe, IDK, some people are just unlucky. I've read about some pretty nice experiences with Dell support around here too.

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    If the Image quality is mediocre then I wouldn't bother with QHD or UHD. I am pretty sure most would prefer good image rather than high resolution. Battery life is still terrible, no matter how you try and talk out of it, then again you can argue that a GTX 1080 notebook shouldn't really be something u'd use on battery in the first place, which would make the whole bigger battery more pointless.

Try an RMA process, aka when it needs to be sent back to the US, then we talk about how Dell support isn't bad.

Optimus does have it's issues, which is true. It also got some very good things to it tho. it's again a give and take thing, same as your AW. Gonna wait and see the screens u're gonna post. Hopefully with some gameplay previously like 10-15min so that the GPU and CPU gets stabilized on the temps, that way OP can have an idea how the whole modded AW runs like.

5. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dude.

So gaming TN panels with worse picture but great response times aren't a thing acording to you?
    Battery life still terrible? I've gotten almost five hours out of that thing. Just yesterday I streamed the champions league, 1080p 60FPS video feed over wi-fi, didn't break a sweat with still 1.5 hours of remaining bat life. (a footie game is ~2 hours btw)

RMA process? Dude they bring the parts to me. Why would it go to the US? It's made in china like every other computer.

Only good thing about optimus is battery life. People with gaming laptops don't use that advantage every single day I bet. But you have to deal with optimus issues every single day so I don't like optimus. Rather have this huge f*ck-off battery that tries to make up for it and has less gpu related issues. Or microstutters, or flickering, or all those issues optimus is known for. No wonder Clevos have the BIOS option to disable it completely.

And finally, my friend, I am not lying about my temps. You seem awfuly suspicious.
    If my temps were sh*t I would tell you they are sh*t. Just like I did on these forums when I first got the thing. Then I got my heatsink replaced, repasted and repaded and saw the light

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    The FHD screens from MSI have better response time and better image quality. Whats your point?
    Pretty sure I trust Notebookchecks 3 hour test on basic surf rather than your made up story about how yours magicially holds 3.5hours on 1080p 60FPS video stream.

That's why I said until you get to the RMA process. They will not send you a mainboard without getting the notebook themselves.

So we will ignore the fact that you can use the intel graphics to stream, while using the CPU + GPU to game, while literally losing 0 FPS on streaming? Ok then.
    You never had an optimus based system, since you apparently don't even know that you don't switch optimus in the BIOS. I mean cmon you spouted so much false information it's unbelievable that you keep going. Just stop it.

Also disabling Optimus in clevos which you're refering to would literally make the notebook boot with a black screen and be unusable. Again, completely nonfactual nonsense you post again. There are only very few notebooks that would allow you to disable optimus without causing a black screen. (I think clevo P651HP can do this to name one of the very few)

Nobody even remotely suggested that you're lying about your temps, the fact that you even bring that up makes you the suspicious one here. Also you have proven over and over again that you do clearly not see things very objectively, so chances of you sugercoating your temps isn't even that improbable at this point. I'm only interested to see your temps, while gaming with the load so that I can make up my mind that a modded AW is worth anything or not.

7. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You keep thinking I'm lying to you, I'm not.

Better response times and color, but less res.

I did do a RMA. I got a new motherboard and heatsink delivered to my house with a dell technician to replace it. I replaced them myself. Took photos of it, it's in the AW subforum...

Did not know that about streaming, that's pretty cool if you stream.
    I've never had an optimus system. Ok my dude you got me figured out. My GS70, GS40, zenbook had optimus. I owned a P650RP6-G with optimus (mshybrid). Sure, it's great on a little 14" GS40 but I mostly had to put up with it in the MSIs and had it 99% of the time turned off in the clevo. (similar clevo to what you talk about in your post)
    There's literally hundred of thousand of hits for optimus issues on google, mainly with laptops that do it automatically.

8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The MSI 1070 cards are 150w

If you can get the AW through a reseller that can deal with the temp differential issue for you then its a slick looking machine with a decent enough screen. Personally I dont see the need for 1440p on a 17" panel but thats just my own opinion. Unless I am mistaken more resolution means more work for the GPU which means more work for the CPU to drive. Im biased though, I havent used that pixel density in a laptop yet. 1080p120hz is golden for me.

Its a solid machine with a huge weakness in quality control. I'd have a reseller make sure its running properly before shipping to you, but always keep in mind a jerky shipment can screw things up too so they can really only guarantee up until it leaves their location.

As for Danish he has a tendency to go off the rails and make claims without evidence or bother to do any reading for context anyways. Its a waste of time to argue with him because he has no intent of being wrong in the first place.

The MSI panel IS much better however, that is, if 1080p is a resolution under consideration. Thats up to the OP though.

9. Devianti

Devianti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To be fair I think you all make good points - and I understand that it's not always easy to be objective when you love your machine. I doubt I could have been that objective about the first AW I got that really blew me away. But I do like seeing arguments both for and against, I generally always need a bit of a devil's advocate to question my own thoughts (objective or otherwise!). So thanks guys for providing exactly that. :)

I certainly don't mind the weight - even this M14x weighs a ton given its small size. I'm already quite sold on the design and build quality of the AW 17 - the design is definitely a personal thing. Keyboard is important for gaming of course, and you're right - the keyboards on the M series AWs are superb - probably among the best laptop ones I've ever tried. Not the best looking keys, but the feel and action is almost spot on. Looking at the new ones, they do look like they might not be quite as good, but most people I know are quite content with them.

My main concern is the colour wash-out of the QHD display - are those comparison figures you quoted before or after a full calibration has been done? And as for speakers I'm not fussed - all gaming will be done with headphones or my TV A/V setup.

To be honest I'm starting to think that I'm jumping the gun a bit. Have been dying to upgrade to a GX 1080, but the AW screen doesn't seem there yet (although I would LOVE the 120hz refresh). Am starting to think I should get a cheaper stepping-stone system, like an AW 17 R4 with a GTX 1060 and a 1080p IPS display... so I get the nice colors for my photoshop work, and can still game (most) modern FPS on high/ultra at 60fps. It'll save me about 1000 - 1200 USD too, and then I can game away while waiting to see if Dell turns things around in the next generation of laptops. The thermal issues don't bother me, as will likely order from Hidevolution and get them to do repastes.

Does that sound like I'm talking myself down?! The sensible part of my brain (that almost always gets drowned out by the 'go big or go home' part) thinks that I should wait until it's time to do the $3000+ jump to QHD/4K gaming when there's a fast screen that has the color depth I need, and a system that can solidly power it all. I'm not averse to looking at other brands, I shopped around a little but it didn't feel quite right - that must be my own subtle bias. I also wouldn't mind sticking with AW just to see what all the fuss (both good and bad) has been about, so taking a cheaper shot might be the answer. It'll probably give me a strong idea of whether I stick with them or not in the future.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Yeah, notebookcheck always calibrates their screen before doing testing.

It really depends on your needs. If you're going for a FHD solution then a 1060 will do just fine. You're right tho, 3.000USD for a GTX 1080 notebook is quite an investment and the fact that it didn't kind of scare you off that you need to mod a 3.000USD machine in order to get temps that doesn't kill it run normally kinda baffles me. I mean, If I would invest 3.000USD in something and it doesn't work out of the box, then I'd not even consider it, but then again, some people are different I suppose.

You might also consider a PC + notebook combo, a ~1.500USD PC is destroying a 3.000USD notebook. Just to give you another option here.

@Shark00n
    I don't believe you that you had an optimus system by the fact that you think that you can simply disable it on optimus systems and only do it via BIOS. Also that you think all disable their optimus because of problems despite many people using it for battery life purposes. After you claimed that you run on battery 3.5 hours with a 1060 60FPS stream while reviews state that the batterytime on casual suring is around 3 hours flat only strenghtens my disbelief in your statements.

Also RMA involves you sending your notebook back, not simply getting a mainboard. No company would just send a mainboard to a customer because then everyone could simply state that ther mainboard is dead and get a free mainboard.

@TheReciever We talk about 1080s, not 1070s, but then again you don't bother read entire texts anyways so why bother with you as well right?
    Yeah you mean the notebookcheck review and numbers stated in other reviews :rolleyes:
    Look at you go. :confused:

11. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dude you keep pressing the same keys over and over.

Many people with clevos that have optimus have it always disabled in BIOS. Source, go check clevo sub forums
    Optimus is not without its issues.

Also, it's Dell dude! Get a grip. You don't send a notebook back! Only if they are exchanging the whole unit. They sent me a mainboard dude, they have their tools to diagnose IDK why you keep saying they wont send mainboards when I got one.

People also get screens, chassis, mb, heatsinks, etc

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  12. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Don't bother dude, its a brick your arguing against.

I'm still waiting for Danish to back up his claims in 3 other threads.

@Danishblunt

He had a correlation on 150w MSI GPU's, I supplied a possible end to that line of recollection.

Again proving my point that you really arent capable of having conversations with anyone besides yourself.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  13. Devianti

Devianti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah desktop's not really an option - I need the inter-room portability in my house and the rare occasion I take it some place. Plus that means I'd be in the market for all the peripherals... even new monitor that takes advantage of it etc.

So here's the crazy result... am now 95% certain I will get a ROG Strix GL702VS with a 1070... and an FHD 120hz display. I still save the $1000 and get a fast machine with a fast display... and hopefully better color depth a la IPS as it's AHVA. I'll re-bank that grand and sit out the current ****storm whilst gaming at 1080p! :D Can't believe I'm considering it, but it would be nice to try out something else and hopefully get more of what I need out of the system.

Not that I'm abandoning AW - if Dell brings out a new line with fast UHD displays that tick the gaming and media boxes... I'll be there.

I guess this thread has sorta gone off-topic a bit, but it's been helpful nonetheless. And I'm totally not qualified enough to join in with any of the other arguments, on either side hehe. :p

Cheers,
    Dev.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.