Ordered this... Should I cancel and wait or..... ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by AxB, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxB

AxB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Guys ,

Here's the specs I put together:

EVOC P650RG 15.6" Custom Built Gaming Laptop w/ nVIDIA GTX 980M w/ G-Sync

LCD Panel
    15.6" 1920x1080 IPS FHD (16:9) LED Antiglare Matte Type Display w/ NVIDIA G-Sync Technology (LG)

Display Warranty
    None - up to 3 lit pixels considered OK

Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M w/ 8GB GDDR5 w/ Unlocked Prema ...

6th Generation Intel Core i7-6820HK Quad Core Processor, 2.7GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.6GHz), 8MB Smart Cache

Prema Custom BIOS - Latest Updated Version

Thermal Paste
    Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra 100% Metal Thermal Interface on CPU, IC Diamond on GPU -

Memory
    32GB (2 x 16GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series Dual Channel DDR4/2666MHz - $235.00

M.2 PCIe NVMe or SATA SSD Slot 1
    HIDevolution Specified 1TB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD

1st 2.5" SSD Bay
    Samsung 850 EVO Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 1TB SSD

2nd 2.5" SSD Bay
    Empty HDD bay (with caddy/adapter)

Wireless Cards
    Killer™ Wireless-AC 1535 ac/a/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.1

Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 10 Home, 64bit, English - $80.00

Power Adapter
    180W AC Power Adapter (supports 100-240V)

Power Cord
    UK 6 Ft Power Cord C13 - $10.00

Internal Battery
    1 x 4 cell battery - 60Wh (Internal)

Audio
    Onkyo Speakers x 2

Back-lit Gaming Keyboard
    Customizable Gaming Macro Back-lit Keyboard

Keyboard Language
    U.S. English

Warranty and Service
    1 Year HIDevolution Limited Global Warranty + LIFETIME ...

Actually placed an order with HIDEvolution. I will mainly be using this laptop for music production and the occasional game.

Main concerns are the CPU and RAM capabilities.

Also, with regards to overclocking the 6820HK - does this need a different PSU from the 180W supplied, is it safe (not harmful to processor life) to go up to 4.0 Ghz without any additional cooling with the setup above?

What do you guys think? I want this laptop to last for 3 years at least.

Please tell me if I've made a mistake or done the right thing ).

Spartan likes this.
  2. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Very nice choice and great company to deal with.

I recommend you stick to IC Diamond for the CPU as well because Liquid Ultra is very thin and doesn't make good contact between the heatsink/CPU. I had a 10C reduction in temps after switching from Liquid Ultra to IC Diamond on the CPU

I am not familiar with that model so I cannot comment on the PSU but great RAM choice you mad there. HIDevolution are the only reseller that I know that ship high end G.Skill RAM

Also, bear in mind that your global warranty will cover shipping costs both ways should anything go bad with your laptop. If it's a small part that needs replacement, they will ship the new part to you so you can replace it yourself and then send the old one, all covered under the warranty including the shipping costs.

The best thing about EVOC laptops is they come with the Prema BIOS/VBIOS for free :)

I bought the laptop you see in my SIG also from HIDevolution but that was long back before they had the EVOC brand so I had to choose the Eurocom Sky X9 to get the Prema BIOS but I chose HIDevolution rather than Eurocom due to their excellent customer service/warranty.

3. AxB

AxB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Phoenix ,

Thank you very much for the reply.

HIDEvolution has been amazing to deal with, Mr. Donald answers mails even on his days off!

My main concerns with this config are with the 6820HK and it's overclocking capability and the longevity of the system as a whole.

Also, was wondering if I should buy now or wait a few months for the new line of GPUs/ CPUs (I'm not much of a gamer though - only the occasional Assassins creed)

Your config looks awesome btw. Mine costs about 3000 USD which is a big deal for me - so I want to get it right!

Spartan likes this.
  4. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    If I were in your shoes, I would opt for a system with a desktop CPU such as the P770DM or P870DM.

You think I have so much money to get the system you see in my sig? nope, I bought it with only the base things such as the GTX 980 (desktop class) and the 6700K CPU then upgraded everything slowly as money came in.

The beauty of the P870DM and P770DM is they have socketed components, so the upgrade path is much bigger

see my upgrade journey:
    Upgrading my Eurocom Sky X9 from HIDevolution

Also, I would go down a bit on the other specs which can easily be upgraded such as the RAM and opt for a silicon lottery 6700K rather than taking chances of the silicon luck draw. That way, you have a guaranteed to overclock CPU, then you can upgrade everything from HIDevolution to keep your warranty intact and cover those new components.

As for the GPU, you answered it yourself, you are not a heavy gamer (like me) so the GTX 980 should serve you well for 2-3 years and you may even be able to upgrade it when needed so no point in waiting as it's gonna be a long wait. Enjoy the best you can get NOW! screw waiting and wasting time to enjoy the best tech :D

live is too short IMHO to wait for anything

5. AxB

AxB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Phoenix ,
    The reason's I'm considering the P650RG over the P750DM are:
    1. Portability and battery life (Optimus)
    2. Don't want to be tinkering around and having to install additional heat sinks/ keep laptop elevated, sit in a fridge when I use my laptop :) (HIDEvolution has confirmed that the 6820HK can be overclocked (should I need to in the future) without an additional PSU/ cooling requirements - they will even test it!).
    3. $ - I need the SSDs and the RAM since my primary work on this laptop will be music production.
    4. GTX980M should be sufficient for my gaming needs for the next 2-3 years right?

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply! I too live in Dubai and it sucks that we don't have all of this possible locally!

6. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    ohh great, I will PM you my number then

7. AxB

AxB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Phoenix ,

Good talk!

Just wanted to check - have you tried Gelid GC Extreme? Seems to be a good thermal paste. HIDEvolution says Liquid Ultra is highly recommended - especially considering overclocking.

What do you think?

8. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    CLU might work better for your system, depending on the type of heatsink. But make sure the surrounding components are well covered.

9. AxB

AxB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi bloodhawk ,

Will be asking HIDEvolution to apply the paste as I have 0 experience with this. I understand that regular pastes have some room for error but liquid metal can get very messy.

I am not sure what kind of heatsink is in the P650RG or how exactly this would affect things - are we talking about surface area of contact or...?

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron

10. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I would say listen to them as they build hundreds of systems monthly and know better. Also, maybe the issue I had with the heatsink pertains to how flawed the design of the heatsink is on the P8870DM but you have an entirely different laptop so go with what they say. Mr. Donald is an awesome person to deal with and knows a lot.

PS: the X Cross method that I told you about is only for non liquid pastes like IC Diamond and Gelid Extreme Thermal Compound not for Liquid Ultra. For Liquid Ultra, we need a complete spread but they know that already so don't worry about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.