Ordered MSI GT73VR 7RF (Titan Pro) 286UK from Amazon UK

Discussion in 'MSI' started by DRevan, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I purchased my GT73VR 7RF-286 system, with same specs as yours, yesterday evening for a price of £2599.97 from a UK shopping site called "SaveOnLaptops". So I saved myself quite a bit of cash. They also include a MSI Xmas Holiday Gaming Pack (Backpack, gaming mouse & headset) and 3 years of MSI manufacturer warranty. Should be arriving via DPD on Tuesday 18th.

I'm planning on upgrading the 1 TB hard drive to a HUGE 5 TB Seagate BarraCuda 5400 RPM hard drive though as I have a whole ton of PC titles (mostly somewhat new and latest releases) to cram into this thing, and 1 TB is not going to be enough space at all.

I had a 3 TB Seagate 5400 RPM hard drive in my last system, the GT72S which I've sold recently, and while the hard drive performed very well, the thing ran out of space fairly quickly. I just really love having loads of games, both old and new available to play at a moment's notice. It's an entertainment media centre after all.

I'll be sure to let everyone know about how I get on with the GT73VR 7RF laptop either on here or in another new thread.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    please let me know how you will go on about fitting that 15mm Seagate 5TB HDD in your laptop

Enkeixpress, saturnotaku and MiSJAH like this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That 5 TB drive is not going to fit in the GT73 by virue of the fact that the connectors for the M.2 slots are mounted to the underside of the 2.5-inch bay.

Enkeixpress and Phoenix like this.
  4. Enkeixpress

Reputations:
    Makes sense. Guess I'll have to settle for a 7mm 2TB Seagate hard drive then, at least until I can afford to purchase M.2 SSD hard drives. It's a big shame that the 15mm 5 TB won't fit, as I'd love to have that much storage space available.

The Seagate 3 TB 5400 RPM hard drive I had in my previous laptop, the GT72S, was 15mm. So I have to admit that it's a little odd that I can't purchase the same hard drive and have it installed in the GT73VR. Hmm, disappointing.

I think a 7 mm 2TB hard drive is the best spin-point storage I'm going to be able to get for the GT73VR. At least if we're just talking about standard spin-point hard drives and not the the hugely expensive SSD drives.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    If MSI had seen fit to include a second bay to the left of the current M.2/2.5-inch arrangement, it's entirely possible that the thicker drive would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enkeixpress likes this.
  6. Enkeixpress

Reputations:
    Guys. Need a little help in deciding which 2TB hard drive would be best to upgrade to from the default 1TB hard drive in the GT73VR 7RF-286

The Barracuda model or the standard one. Both are 7 mm so I know they'll fit in the bay.

Seagate 2TB Guardian BarraCuda 7mm Internal Hard drive/HDD: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb...iii-6gb-s-7mm-form-factor-128mb-cache-5900rpm

Seagate 2TB 2.5" Laptop / Ultrabook 7mm Hard Disk Drive/HDD: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb...-thickness-sata-iii-6gb-s-5400rpm-128mb-cache

7. Enkeixpress

Reputations:
    Never mind. Decided that I'm going to upgrade the standard 1 TB hard drive to a 2 TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD hybrid hard drive. Seems to be a far better option, and it's 7 mm, so it'll fit with no problems.

8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    If you're using the hard drive for game/media storage, a SSHD won't really do you any good. Better to spend less money on a regular drive.