Ordered an Alienware m15

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Ultra Male, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Just buy color die and mix it with the thermal paste right before the tech comes. You'll loose 90% performance but it's just for the tech right? LOL :rolleyes::D

Vistar Shook, raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  2. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Of course they'll notice. "Hey why isn't the thermal paste oozing over the sides and why isn't it dry?" o_O

Vistar Shook and raz8020 like this.
  3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I can get away with that since I live in Dubai and the temps reach 50C in the summer, I'll tell the Dell Tech that the heat caused the thermal paste to melt.

[​IMG]

4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How much does shipping cost for this system to get delivered to Dubai? Any custom taxes?

I think your Area 51M will be the most decked out system to exist out in the wild. 128GB Ram ! Damn!

Call it the "*****slapper" or something along these lines...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Around 500 USD Bro (ouch!) For customs, email donald@hidevolution.com so he can better explain this to you.

Are you getting one from HIDevolution with their thermal mods to prevent overheating or getting it directly from Dell and take chances whether or not it operates at decent temps?

BTW, when you buy it, if you opt for the international warranty, then once you get it here, you can call Dell and have them transfer your warranty locally so they can send you the on-site support technician at your home and you never have to worry about shipping it back to the US for any warranty claims.

Vistar Shook, raz8020 and jclausius like this.
  6. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Damn. 500$ !!! My heart just sank! Damn¡

I'm planning on Hidevolution especially for their thermal mods because we all know that this is going to be a hot system.

I'll keep posting the updates here. I hope I can get some discounts somewhere because my budget is 3500$ including shipping and things aren't looking too optimistic at the moment.

I'll keep following up your reviews with extra attention because I trust you and the guys in this forum than any other reviewer out there. So, you're doing God's work. Hehe

But 500$.... ****!

Well thinking about it, rather spending 1850AED on just shipping alone, I am wondering if I'm better off waiting for this laptop to reach Dubai and buy from here. I can do the repaste with LM on my own. Virgin megastore and some other outlets should have it right? What do you think?

By the way, how much are asking for that old MSI beast of yours? I'm having serous second thoughts now... might have to settle for the older generation. It's slightly out of my 3500$ budget.

This Area 51m better be the best Alienware of its generation for me to drop 4000$ on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
    Vistar Shook and Ultra Male like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think you may get a laptop with worse hardware (Screen,SSD,Thermals,heatsink etc) because of rushed orders. The reason to get from HID is to avoid useless chat talk, scripted talks and wait time to get the laptop customized to your liking with HID backing you up in case of any problems rather than involving Dell.
    There might be no extended SW support for older generation of AW 15/17 since they're EOL! I wouldn't recommend that option.
    If you had a teleporter device to go from UAE to HID HQ then its good time to use it to save shipping costs. Shipping costs are insane in my country too.

Vistar Shook and jclausius like this.
  8. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't scare me with such talk man. :eek:
    You know one thing I've never had trouble with dell products is their screens. Unless I'm just lucky I've yet to get a screen from them with unexceptional edge bleed or dezd pixels. Heat and battery drain while using the laptop plugged in on the other hand has been pretty prevalent.

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its not scare tactics. At least you can return the laptop to dell within grace period.

Rei Fukai and jclausius like this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know I know. Just messing with you. Just sharing my thoughts. Dell's far from perfect. There are many things manufacturers thing is within tolerance when they release a product that no customer would except. Like a bad screen with dead pixels. If you're paying a premium for a product it should never have a bad screen. Or any bad parts out the gate. But, that's just the nature of the industry I guess.

I didn't buy an extended warranty as I've had much luck when it comes to companies fixing a product after the return period. Though I've been hearing enough about Dell's in home repairs to think I may want to reconsider since this is gonna be such an expensive laptop.

Vasudev likes this.