Ordered an Alienware m15

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Ultra Male, Jan 11, 2019.

1. steberg

steberg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I literally watch every youtube clip on Area-51M, it's that exiting! I hope you enjoy the keyboard and finally being back to LGA socket. I might go the HIDevolution road on this one, since I believe they have a way of shipping to Europe without to much import fees. I will not go all out like you, but for sure i9-9900k and RTX 2080.

hmscott and Ultra Male like this.
  2. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Trust me when I say that @ssj92 is definitely getting one , and I as well. I’m not ready to purchase at the moment.

I have waited for this type of model for a long time. I will mainly get it to tinker around. Lol

steberg, ssj92 and Ultra Male like this.
  3. canoekoh

canoekoh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'll be waiting for the newer panels but this is like a dream setup come true.

I hope hidevolution can manage to cool this thing although I'm keeping my expectations low for the 9900k. Just based on the notebookcheck reviews of clevo-based 9900k laptops, the 9900k seems to perform extremely poorly in laptops form. Again, not surprising but I'd like to be proven wrong. For anyone thinking of buying the 9900k config directly from Dell, I'd say buyer beware. After going through the overheating problems of the last gen, I will never buy an Alienware directly from Dell ever again.

Ultra Male and hmscott like this.
  4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Have you owned the M18x or M18xR2? The AW18 wasn't as good as its older brothers. This is the real successor to the M18xR2 if all goes well. Only wish it still had HDMI IN, MUX graphics switch and SD card reader like the M18xR2. :cool:

LOL I've also been waiting for this type of model and you're right. Now just @Raidriar left....I feel deep inside he wants one too. :p

Vasudev, Terreos, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  5. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats mate !

Can't wait to have your feedack on this beast. I plan to order one but french store isn't up yet. :confused:

I will delid, repaste and repad myself though, as there's no service near me. It will remind me of my first laptop : a clevo D900.

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow, you surely went all out! And ouch that price. Hopefully it arrives quickly. Enjoy your new system! Curious about how it will perform.

Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Holy smokes man. That's an insane build. Lol. I ordered one the other day myself. But, I'll be doing the memory and storage upgrades myself. Very curious to see how yours works with the thermal upgrades.

Oh a be sure to comment on how it fits in the backpack. I'll need to get something for it too for when I lug it around.

Ultra Male and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice....all in. Congrats. I hope someone finds a way to bypass the power limits to run the CPU at decent clocks.

Aroc, Ultra Male, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  9. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Congrats on the purchase dude, I sure hope he/she runs efficiently dropping $7g's on a laptop!
    Do you mind me asking why you chose such a HUGE amount of RAM, are you running VM's or something?

Also, will you do a full post on here when she arrives, including benching etc? @Ultra Male

Not going to lie - i have also owned every single 15 - 18"" Alienware from around 2011, since the m18x r2 - nothing has been a touch on that quality, maybe this will be different, i am slightly dubious on the thermals though, even with a repaste etc !

I have 2 17 r3's atm - with the 6820HQ - and the quality is just so dismal compared to the old school models, even the 17 r4 was "good" on the outside, but internally it was just a flimsy bga board.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
    ssj92 and Ultra Male like this.
  10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    As for the RAM I just get the max RAM on any machine I buy from the get go as I don't wanna deal with compatibility issues in the future trying to find the exact RAM and also no not have any doubt that Dual Channel Rate is working or not depending on which combo of slots the RAM is installed in.

Yes surely I will make a full reciew and video as well and this thread will detail the build process with images as they becone available so stay tuned.

Plinius, raz8020, Vasudev and 2 others like this.