Ordered an Alienware m15

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    The CPU lottery is not about the 0.1 GHz. more. It's about being able to run even at the stock clocks with less required voltage due to the superior binned CPUs that was hand picked from 100s of other CPUs. Meaning, it will run much cooler than your average 9900K which IMO is a MUST on these machines. I would pay anything to have a lower temp operating CPU on this beast and I got a 4 year warranty with it so this is a long term investment which is why I went all out.

See this old post I made way back when I had a 6700K in my old P870DM and how the Silicon Lottery changed the entire experience for me:

The last thing I want right now is to wait for 1 month till I get a laptop only to receive a not so great 9900K which will overheat and thermal throttle more than others. I have had very bad luck when it comes to getting a good CPU in the past and don't want to deal with the hassle of replacing it and whatnot. Do it once, do it right, and be done with it.

Be smart....be like Ultra Male... [​IMG]

Aroc, SlickDragon and Arrrrbol like this.
  2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    0.1Ghz more at the top might mean 50-100mv less is needed at lower frequencies, so it will run cooler than a worse binned CPU.

3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

I think another approach would be to get the standard Dell CPU. Test it out fully. If its not up to snuff, buy one from Silicon Lottery and install it yourself. Save a ton of money if you got a good sample from Dell. If not you are still coming ahead of HID if you sell the Dell CPU.

The sacrifice here is time and effort if you need to get the silicon lottery CPU and sell the Dell one.

c69k and alaskajoel like this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    I don't have time nor effort no the patience to test, remove, order a new CPU, then install it. I work 14 hours a day 7 days a week. I would pay for anything that saves me time. Time = Money

and guys, don't you worry about my money, I will do with it as I please, don't try to be my finance managers.

zt_86, Aroc, carlodelmazo and 3 others like this.
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sorry if I offended you, was more responding to others finding this thread.

And you clearly recommend everyone do the same as you, so i though that some juxtaposed options were called for.

(remember you come from a position of power to new members and casual readers as a member with a massive reputation score)

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
  7. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Let us know your thoughts? It will be pretty hard to pull me away from my Astro A50.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    This was my second choice with my Dell rewards from Area-51M purchase. I just didn't like the usb thing so I can't use it with other devices as far as I know.

Let us know the sound quality.

I think I'll be getting the 32" dell monitor lol

9. nickbarbs

nickbarbs Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with this. I am not trying to be anyone's finance manager - but paying like 1250$ for 128GB of ram and an EXTRA 700$ for a "lottery" cpu is really not "smart" by any stretch of the imagination. New members / casual readers shouldn't get the idea this is "smart" in any way shape or form.

10. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    honestly I feel the opposite, if he has the money and wants those items then 100% go for it. At the end of the day its not about the price its about the happiness you feel from getting what you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.