Ordered a MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2019)

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Ultra Male, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Specs: Apple MacBook Pro 15 2019 (Silver) | 2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz | 32GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM | Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory | Retina display with True Tone | Touch Bar and Touch ID | 4TB SSD storage

- Apple Macbook Pro 15 (Silver, 2.4GHz 8-Core, 32GB-RAM, Vega 20 4GB, 4TB-SSD, Arabic Keyboard, Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4, and MainStage 3)
    - AppleCare+ for 15-inch MacBook Pro (3 Year Extended Warranty + 2 Instances Accidental Damage Coverage)
    - Apple Magic Mouse 2
    - Apple USB-C to SD Card Reader
    - Apple USB-C to Lightning Cable (1 m)
    - Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
    - Apple USB-C to USB Adapter
    - Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    - Apple 87W USB-C POWER ADAPTER-GBR
    - Apple Leather Sleeve for 15-inch MacBook Pro – Black

I ordered it from HIDevolution not through Apple Dubai firstly because the specs on the US Apple website were better in terms of configuration and also to have them do some quality checks on the laptop before shipping it to me such as backlight bleeding checks and whatnot. They don't sell Apple computers but I asked them if they could do it for me as an exception being a long time customer and they agreed.

Expected shipping date is on the 14th of October

I am planning to completely switch to MacOS for the below reasons:

I have been a Windows user since I was 14 years old (35 now). I enjoyed Windows and knew nothing else since then, never tried Linux (due to the fact that it was never full functional on any laptop I owned) and only briefly tried MacOS on my wife's MacBook Air 13" but since it was low specs, I never cared to dive into it.

Ever since the release of Windows 10 and me being forced to use Windows 10 and not 7 due to driver issues and whatnot, I cannot count the amount of times that I formatted my laptop. I have wasted so many hours of my life formatting, installing, tweaking this horrid OS.

The biggest issue for me with Windows 10 and even as many of you know me always presenting you with the latest tweaks, installation guides, etc and knowing the OS inside-out, the problem is, in the past, Windows updates were just regular updates, some security updates and sometimes a new feature added here or there but everything worked as it was the same OS, all your software and drivers worked just fine.

Windows 8 was then released and it only had 1 major update which was Windows 8.1 and that needed new drivers to be fully compatible with 8.1, no big deal.

With Windows 10, every 6 months we have a new major build, which usually requires new drivers, apps need to be updated, your Antivirus needs to be updated to be compatible with the new build, and so forth.

Updates usually never go smoothly and one is better off formatting and clean installing the latest build of Windows, reinstalling all the latest drivers, software, etc. Now I am a person with 100s of apps, mostly paid apps which require activation so you can imagine how much time this costs me.

Additionally, I have never seen a more fragile OS than Windows 10, one mistake and you could render your OS useless. For example the other day I was trying to disable the Kionix Free Fall Sensor driver from startup using Autoruns, I just unticked one box for that driver and rebooted to see if my boot time improves and BAAAM! The entire OS was nuked! No system restore worked, booting to Safe mode so I can re-nable that driver didn't work, I felt miserable, that meany another 48 hours of reinstalling and tweaking everything.

I cannot disable Windows update like some may suggest because then the Windows Store wouldn't work and recently all laptops have moved many of their utilities to the Windows store (example, Nahimic Audio for MSI laptops, nVIDIA Control Panel, etc.) so no I don't want to disable Windows update, I want to receive the latest security patches as well but no, each Windows update fixes something, and breaks 10 other things. Microsoft has lost their mojo and quality control is non-existent.

I have never seen any Mac users run into such issues, they never worry about drivers or reinstalling things. Heck, when I first setup my wife's MacBook Air when she first got it, I was looking what needs to be tweaked or done? nothing! The thing was ready to work out of the box after a few quick updates she was set to go!

I want to focus on other things in my life other than formatting every couple of days, the amount of issues that I have faced cannot be typed in this thread otherwise I could go on forever.

I don't know who's dumb idea was to make each new build of Windows incompatible with older drivers and software as if you were installing some other OS but that is the main reason I am switching, I am sick of this and am ready to take on a new adventure and master the MacOS.

@Charles P. Jefferies @custom90gt @Mr. Fox @ssj92 @Papusan @toughasnails @Fire Tiger

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Good luck brother:) But don't expect everything will work flawlessly all time on the other side of the fence either...

macOS OS 10.14 Mojave problems and how to fix them...

Arrrrbol and Vasudev like this.
  3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Whatever it is, it can no where be as near as the 100s of issues with Windows 10, don't let me start pulling up G00gl3 search results for you [​IMG]. You probably know the issues better than anyone else.

Arrrrbol, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When I ran MacOS full time from 2011-2016, there were a few tweaks I had to do to get everything the way I wanted, but nothing even close to what Windows 10 requires. If I didn't play games, I would seriously consider switching back.

One thing I would strongly recommend, if you don't already, is having a dedicated external storage solution for Time Machine backups. That feature saved my butt on more than one occasion, and it was easy to restore my system back to a previously functional state.

Arrrrbol and Ultra Male like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Just Bought a Mac? 14 Essential Apps You Should Install howtogeek.com | Sept 30, 2019

Apple bundles plenty of utilities with macOS, but there are some other useful tools you should download to get the most out of your Mac. Here are some picks many Mac fans swear by.

Arrrrbol and Vasudev like this.
  6. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Firstly, as always, a shout out to Donald and co at HIDevolution going the extra mile.

I've spent the bulk of my existence using Apple gear since my first Mac Plus when I was just but a wee lad along with working with PCs. I still prefer OSX if forced to pick, but I weave between both.

As a dev and OSX user, depending on your workflow, you *WILL* encounter the yearly app check as Apple releases their new OSX iteration every fall. Since Apple controls the entire chain, both software and hardware, the potential outliers are greatly diminished though.

I would be lying if I said I haven't ended up nuking and reinstalling OSX due to problems over the years. In the end, it is Just Another Operating System (JAOS). It's not perfect.

Apple tightly controls OSX (and the control will continue to get tighter) as they attempt to increase their walled garden iOS approach on OSX as they seriously further branch into services revenue.

Windows 10 has made leaps and bounds in simplicity, automated drivers and peripheral auto installs over the last few years. Most older systems (z170 and older), I just let Windows 10 install all the drivers now and things work fine. I give them credit for this.

Get ready to get comfy and cozy with Terminal for real tweaking (or at least being interested to pour through a lot of Terminal based automated tools for tasks out of curiosity). I use it so much, I have it docked on my desktop.

Welcome to the club. :) I hope you continue to use both interchangeably as I do.

7. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As someone who has just switched to a MBP 2017 15" after years of Windows machines, let me tell you this. It all just works until it doesn't. If I were you some, some obvious essentials are MacFanControl and gfxcardtstatus, along with Volta if you want to UV without using the terminal.

Ultra Male likes this.
  8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    A friend of mine switched from a Dell XPS 15 to a 2019 MacBook Pro 15 as well because of Windows. They said Mac, just works.

I have a few laptops I use, one of them being a 2013 MacBook Pro 15. I can tell you, I have had my fair share of issues on Mac but it is no where near the issues on Windows.

Mac has been more stable for me and is where I do my video editing too. I just didn't like Apple's newer computers with the crappy keyboard, less ports, etc. My hope is in the 16" Macbook Pro, but the 2013 I have performs very well. I am on the latest macOS Catalina BETA and I can see the OS will be great. Only issue with the newer OS will be it is completely 64-bit now, so no 32-bit plug-ins etc.

I hope you enjoy your new OS, it is definitely more pleasing than Linux IMO and it "just works" :D

Also, so are you selling the Area-51m or you'll have two laptops?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But you have option to use Windows 10 through Bootcamp. So, best of both worlds. Only issue Ultra Male might face is with latest eGPU drivers/HW(be it AMD or Intel or Nvidia) in eGPU enclosure or whatever.
    OS X needs a mouse badly since its point and click UI which works better but I always was comfortable with navigating through keyboard keys to control anything. I don't know if OS X improved that by giving full keyboard navigation and ditch the touchpad/mouse if you forget to carry one!
    BIOS update, FW updates, drivers etc... will be a thing of the past for Mac users and will be the bread and butter for PC Technicians!

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I didn't buy a Mac to use anything that has to do with Windows on it. NADA!

As for the mouse, I already ordered an Apple Magic Mouse 2 as I don't like touchpads

@saturnotaku

Speaking of fully migrating to Mac, I gave my wife my new Galaxy Note 10+ 512GB and bought me an iPhone 11 Pro 512GB Gold Color . I like the size much more than the Note 10 it's much easier to operate AND has all the cameras I need.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    electrosoft likes this.