Order your Modulable PSU Mod for Alienware laptops [+info inside]

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by [Nikos], Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [Nikos]

[Nikos] Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello folks,

First of all I want to speak directly to the moderators, if you feel this thread is not appropriate to be here please remove it or move it to the place it belongs.

I apology in advance for any issues this could generate to you.

CURRENT STATUS:
    Working over new mod, lighter, more customisable and less expensive. [12-December-2015]

What is this thread about?

I am offering the opportunity to anyone who could be intereste in acquire a 100 % fully custom PSU Mod. (Up to 4x330W if needed).
    3DMark 11 Power consumption test (CPU: 4.5GHz | SLI GTX 980M - +260 MHz/+400MHz 1.2V)

[​IMG]
    This pic is the first iteration of the current one I am using, it is fully modulable so you can plug or unplug one, two and up to 4 PSU whenever you want to. So you can take out one PSU when needed and go with the laptop without having to carry all the stuff just what you need (1 psu, 2, 3...) (homemade connector) and works as mono PSU user.

As I do not want to have any mess with anyone, I am writing this thread to be as transparent as I can do it. I am not setting the price yet as the purpose of this thread to me it is to gather all the people interested in buying one mod.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I will publish the mod with its instructions as soon as I can (at least the first version of the mod which is based on the other manual out there).
    This is to help all the people who have sent to me a PM over different forums asking me to buy one.

Current status:

If I manage to skip this or emulate the current's control signal, I will be able to offer a new mod much portable than the actual one. I mean just one PSU fully usable with the laptop.
    If this works maybe more models could be added to the list.

Supported models:

Working:
    Alienware M18X-R2
    Alienware M15X (confirmed by @King of Interns, thanks)
    Not working:
    Alienware 18 (Any chance? post with your thoughts :))

Not sure:
    M18X-R1
    17... so on.
    Quite sure it could work with other models but as I do not have more models can not be sure yet.

By now it is supported by Alienware M18X R2 so far that I am aware of. This works exactly the same way that with others PSU's mod so it is supposed to work as well as it does with the others mods over Alienware's laptops.

Do you want to get on board?

I am going to make it very easy. You just need to answer on this thread saying you are interested and the model you would like to have. (2x330, 3x330 & 4x330)

I will update a list here with people interested in ordering one. When we will reach a certain number (I am thinking about 20-30) will start discussing the final price because it will be different or I hope so if we are as much as we can (buying the PSUs to third parties, components and all the stuff needed).

Estimated price for 2x330W : Around 650€ <- THIS IS ORIENTATIVE AND MAY CHANGE OVER THE TIME.

To give you a hint about why is this price, only the psu's cost over 165€ each without shipping.
    Maybe someone could make it cheaper but I do not have other source for them. Let me know if you have other source for them.

I am here to answer all the questions you might have.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Dr. AMK, Prema, TBoneSan and 2 others like this.
  2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Holy crap, a rectifier a heatsink and some wire and a box..... for like a $1,000 ! I got one for free collecting dust if anyone wants. Just pay the shipping.

oops and passing the greenwires I/O over..you can do a RLS7400 AND gate series logic chip or like just connect the greenwire from both to a single logic and run it to the cord running out directly..

My issue is this, the same mod is offered by various vendors for cheaper, and comes with the PSU's. and a simpler smaller adapter and for various models.
    meh, A for effort, many people want this, but are not even sure if the price justifies the 1-2% increase in performance.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    TomJGX and [Nikos] like this.
  3. [Nikos]

Reputations:

First of all thanks for sharing your opinion, the price you are writing is not even close. 650€ is not 1000$ to be more precise it is 691.3465 US$ ;)

The components has its own price, the box the heatsink, the wires the original PSUs, etc...

2 x PSU 330W = 334 €
    1 x Digital voltmeter (Murata DMS-30PC) = 58,38 €
    2 x bridge rectifier 40A (around 20€ each one) = 40€
    1 x HEATSINK 100X150X27 = 15,54 €
    This is not the full part list = 447,88 € WITHOUT SHIPPING PARTS TO ME ;)

Of course the system can be better designed and more sofisticated but this is the one I am using. Do you want a better one feel free to do one yourself and share it with us ;) I am more than willing to try your custom mod.
    You are absolutely wrong about the performance increase... but ok feel free to keep saying things without having the numbers over the table ;)

And again feel free to make your own mod and show it to the community, I am looking to hearing from you with it, if you like you can share it here.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  4. [Nikos]

Reputations:
    And to be honest I feel like you had insulted me, you are discrediting my work.
    You came here with any numbers just with words to say I am trying to take advantage of people who could be interested on this.
    Like if I had to sell it for free or losing money. I am not a factory if I am thinking about doing this is because there is people who has reached me through private message to ask me for one of this. I said also I will release the instructions to build one for yourself on the case you do not want it to be built by me.
    If I do it for you I have to charge a little bit for the time spent building it if you do not think my time is valuable it is and is not as cheap as I am selling it here.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I have asked other moderators to weigh in on the decision. Thank you for making this available to the people that want it. Your mod is really polished and requires a lot more effort to build than mine does. Good job, buddy.

Kade Storm and [Nikos] like this.
  6. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Look I am sorry you got me wrong, and maybe I shouldn't have commented. I've made these for people in the past, with protection from high and low voltage transients, did little to nothing to stop extra noise, but just guaranteed the zero crossing on my rectifier was perfect and clean.
    It just only cost me like 30$ to make. And the PSU's I bought for about 90$

Mine looks nothing special, looks like a hobby black box, with a heatsink. Standard crap. Yours looks really nice. Maybe you use much more expensive components, I for 1 shopped around from a month, taking my time, and didn't buy the cheapest but whatever was good value and had a guarantee not to just fail.

When I used it, I only ever got an extra few % above my absolute top performance.

What I mean to imply directly, is that the price tag, is not worth it. I do not think for the price tag of an extra PSU its worth it even for a M18X-R2. Its a very old system. Throw as much money as you like at the system and it will net you exponential decreasing gains.

Perhaps you can show us the difference this makes, before and after.

I woudln't recommend a DUAL PSU mod to anyone who has not already gotten a extreme core and at least is using Sli with 80W or higher videocards.

[Nikos] likes this.
  7. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @woodzstack the M18x has no trouble pulling 330W from the wall before you start overclocking it, you can get a moderate overclock and then the PSU will trip at around 370W... I know Nikos and Mr.fox have pulled over 500-600W. Performance increase is substantial and the mod increases the lifespan of the PSU's as well.

@[Nikos] I would be interested but I have already got most the parts for my own dual psu mod (will be my second one, I made for the M17x R2 a few years ago), I just hope prema release's his new vbios soon so I actually have a reason to make it. I'll be sure to share my method once I have finished it.

I have one suggestion though, if you can have the psu's plug in to the adapter rather then hardwired that would reduce the cost considerably and that way people can use the psu(s) that they already own.

Kade Storm, TBoneSan, [Nikos] and 2 others like this.
  8. Tulius

Tulius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would recommend it too especially for us who live in other countries, the package weight greatly increases the freight cost and each PSU weights a lot. Imagine a [Nikos] PSU mod with 2 or 4 plugs built in to fit up to 4 330W PSUs... it would be awesome.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  9. woodzstack

Reputations:
    well Alienware fans are nuts anyways, so why not. LOL...

[Nikos] likes this.
  10. [Nikos]

Reputations:
    It is ok buddy do not worry ;) I should not get mad with your comment before, sorry for that ;)

Here you have two videos (stock and with low overclock).

These videos were recorded within the first iteration of my PSU's mod as well as first version of Prema's vBIOS mod. I mean this has nothing to do with the current state of neither the vBIOS nor the PSU mod. Right now the power consumption while benching or gaming with moderate to high overclock is closer to 500W(530-550W peaks) rather than 400W.

If you like I could record a bench or at least try it with moderate to high overclock to let you see it working at its best.

3DMark Results
    My personal best with it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks @Tulius @kenny27 for the suggestions, I have to think how to make it more "shippable" (easy to send to end users). As well as easy and faster to build.

I will use myself as test bed and will try to produce the best mod I can with the lower price possible.

TBoneSan, Tulius and Mr. Fox like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.