Options for selling old parts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by useroflaptops, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. useroflaptops

useroflaptops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What are the choices for selling old parts (not just laptop parts I guess, desktop also)?

You can do Ebay selling, but what are the downsides? How long is the seller responsible for the condition of the products sold through ebay? For example, its easy for someone to abuse the product and make you exchange it back, or there could be scammers, etc. How to go about a smooth selling?

Any other option where you can sell something and don't have to worry anymore?

I got a few old graphics cards lying around I need to sell.

2. hendra

hendra Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The buyers have 45 days from the date of the payment to file a complaint. You have 7 days from the date of the payment to ship, otherwise you will lost your Paypal Seller Protection. When shipping your item, make sure you have Delivery Confirmation Number from USPS or Tracking Number from UPS or FedEx. That will protect your from buyers who receive their items and then file a false complaint that they never receive their items.

3. useroflaptops

Reputations:
    Any other options other than ebay?

Also can you choose who to sell to. E.g. if someone with crap ratings wins highest bid can you not sell to them?

4. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    You can try Craigslist to deal locally. You avoid eBay seller fees and what not too.

5. hendra

hendra Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can cancel bids if you want but if they bid at the last minute and win, you are out of luck. Moreover, you can not cancel bid if you sell with Buy It Now since there are no bids. It's instant purchase. But what you can do is requiring Immediate Payment Required for Buy It Now items. That way, your buyers can not NOT pay because your listings will still be active and open to be purchased by someone else until the buyers actually pay.

BTW: eBay buyers' feedback doesn't mean anything anymore since sellers can not give negative feedback, only positive feedback may be given.

6. useroflaptops

Reputations:
    hmm craiglist is shady like ebay too. I wish there was some old hardware collection company with a good rep that I can sell (and get ripped off, but its ok) to.

Really? I think you can leave negative feedback still right, to buyers and sellers... Although I heard peopel can fake their good ratings, I dont think you can't vote negative though?

7. hendra

hendra Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Buyers can leave positive, neutral, negative or no feedback at all. Sellers can leave only positive or no feedback at all. The website won't let you to do otherwise. There is no mechanism to go around it. It's their new rule and it has been in place for the last, if not mistaken, 2 years.

8. ramgen

ramgen -- Morgan Stanley --

Reputations:
    Why do you say that? I have sold several things via CL (including several hard drives, webcams, a used notebook [for $600], ...).

It is way better than ebay. You have the chance of dealing locally + getting cash directly. No risk of paypal, wire transfer etc.

2 rules for local sellers:

1- Always invite the buyer to your place. Never go to shady places (esp. at nights) to meet with them.
    2- Always get cash. No checks as they may bounce.

That's it...

--

9. hendra

hendra Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I wouldn't recommend that. Only agree to meet with your buyers/sellers in a public place in broad daylight. Preferably in front of police department or other place where there are a lot of people where one would feel safe.

10. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There are two problems with that statement: First of all, Ebay is not "shady!...but it's not perfect either. And second, there is always a gamble with any business transaction. So if you want the highest profit with the least margin of risk, sell it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared to take some amount of chances for the convenience of using a popular seller/buyer website. That's just how things work.

Even the best businesses can have unscrupulous business tactics from time to time. Still, it's the overall rating that reflects the most accuracy about their reputation. That's the one that counts the most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.