Optimus support for M18x?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by bcatwilly, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewietobbacca

chewietobbacca Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, IGP support means there has to be some form of switching. Given that the 6970M has switching on the R3 already, it won't be surprising if they have it on this one

No clue on Optimus though, since Optimus doesn't use the same switching

2. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Kind of happy NOT having Optimus because it can create more driver "issues" which is something I am always looking to reduce, especially as the machine gets older and "special" features that drivers have to support get less and less supported.

3. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My bad guys.

I would think the m18x could at least acheive 5+ hours on IGP? Especially since the r3 already does that, and it has a slightly smaller screen, but 9cell battery(I think, I'm usually wrong), whereas the m18x has a 12cell.

4. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You might be able to tweak the screen brightness down a bunch, use an SSD and completely shut down any 2nd HD, and possibly squeeze a bit more out of it. Oh and only use 2 memory slots to reduce power use.

I'm sure folks will be trying hard to see what can be done to get there. Remember there is a 3rd fan where the R3 only has 2.

We'll see how long we can get.

5. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The fans have a very minimal effect on power draw. More draw will come from what ever was being used so much that it heated up and the fan had to turn on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.