Optimus support for M18x?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by bcatwilly, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcatwilly

bcatwilly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, have been reading all of the great information on these forums. I have an M17x R3 arriving today that was ordered before the announcement of the M18x. I chose the GTX 460 option for the reasons described below. But now I am thinking of the M18x that a bigger screen, ExpressCard slot (still have older firewire camcorder to capture footage) and at least possibility of dual GPU setup at some point could be interesting. While I may play some games on this, I am basically wanting a "cool" laptop for the first time in my life with enough power to do some pretty serious video editing with Adobe Creative Suite 5. So I really want the Nvidia card options which means that the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine will use the Nvidia CUDA technology for hardware accelerated rendering. And I also want to ensure that I can disable the discrete GPU to take advantage of the beastly IGP 'Quick Sync' technology on the Sandy Bridge for double the performance on video encoding tasks.

So, does anyone know whether the M18x will support Optimus with an Nvidia card setup? I would probably just start with a single Nvidia card with thought of going SLI later on if possible, but not sure if Optimus is even possible with a dual GPU setup? I do know that Adobe software will not currently utilize a dual GPU setup, but I believe that it will just use one of them at least. And there may be some chance down the road that the software is updated to take advantage of dual GPUs.

Thanks for any insight on the possible Optimus support with the M18x.

2. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    If you have a single GTX 460m I see no reason it will not work, will be the same chipset and configuration as the M17x R3 then

3. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with Scook's logic, however the presentation specifically mentioned that it did not work. However, they make mistakes sometimes (like the weight thing) so Scook could be dead on.

Unsure until tested, but AW has said it doesn't work.

4. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    If they broke that they are fools.....they may not really be using the HM67 chipset then after all!

5. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or they aren't going to sell single card machines...

6. bcatwilly

bcatwilly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That could make sense. I will say that I received my M17x R3 today, and man is it awesome. So unless there is some major show stopper surprise like the newer Intel chipset with the M18x then I will probably stick with this because I got such a great price on it.

7. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    We don't really need z68 for M18x now that they implemented IGP support with dual cards. I see a lot of justification from people that bought M17x-R3's which is funny because it is such a fundamentally different system than the M18x. You want pure power AND battery life? M18x is where it's at. As for optimus, I doubt it, but it will have manual switching which IMO is superior to the buggy optimus solution. IF AW had added a 120 hz display and/or IPS RGB LED to M18x, it likely would have been the best system AW has ever made--at least on paper.

8. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    not that I'm contradicting you or anything, but I was just wondering why you said the m18x has IGP support. I know it is in the manual, but the manual isn't always right (m17x r3 having a 6970 and 120hz screen for example). Plus the review from hardware heaven saying no IGP support. I'm not defending my r3 in any way, as I chose 3d anyways, since I'm a casual gamer at most and don't mind lowering the settings, but I'm just curious how everyone comes to this conclusion

9. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

The HH guy confirmed on NBR it does have IGP: http://forum.notebookreview.com/7395685-post70.html So did Frank Azor during the launch of M14x/M18x.

10. Sulf

Sulf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They also specifically mentioned it in the launch presentation video as I recall, when they specified the 3hr or so battery life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.